Gordon 'Action Man' Brown beds down in shed in Afghan visit

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The Prime Minister had to sleep in a pre-fabrigated, corrugated shed at Kandahar Airfield during his pre-Christmas visit to British troops in Afghanistan.

The shed, just outside Afghanistan's second-largest city, is nicknamed "Little Heathrow" and is a far cry from Gordon Brown's usual opulent surroundings of 10 Downing Street. It is the first time a British PM has stayed overnight in a warzone since World War II.

Brown paid tribute to the British troops' 'bravery, professionalism and dedication' and said he is 'more confident' about the conflict following recent additions of equipment and the increases in troop numbers by both the British and the Americans.

Mr Brown also insisted that Afghanistan's border regions were 'the epicentre of global terrorism' and that operations there were directly related to security on British streets. And, speaking at a joint press conference with Afghan president Hamid Karzai, Mr Brown said: 'I feel for all of those families who have lost loved ones, particularly as we move towards Christmas'.

Last week saw the 100th British military fatality in Afghanistan this year. Total British deaths in the conflict now stand at 237. Until this year, there were just two years since 1945 in which over 100 British troops were killed - 1972, when 109 British soldiers were killed by the IRA at the height of The Troubles, and 1982 when 255 were killed in the Falklands War.

WAR IN AFGHANISTAN

Gordon 'Action Man' Brown beds down in shed during surprise pre-Christmas visit to British troops in Afghanistan

By Daily Mail Reporter
13th December 2009
Daily Mail

Gordon Brown bedded down in forces accommodation in Afghanistan last night as he sought to demonstrate his commitment to supporting British troops serving in the country.

The Prime Minister slept last night in a pre-fabricated, corrugated shed, surrounded by concrete blast walls at Kandahar Airfield, the coalition headquarters for the region.

It was the first time a British premier had stayed overnight in either Afghanistan or Iraq, and came at the start of a surprise pre-Christmas visit to the troops.

From this......10 Downing Street is the official residence of the British Prime Minister and the headquarters of Her Majesty's Government...

.....to this: Still wearing a helmet donned during the flight there Gordon Brown steps out of 'Little Heathrow' at Kandahar Airbase

Enlarge
The Prime Minister travelled to Afghanistan for an unannounced pre-Christmas visit to British troops which was followed by talks with Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai

Mr Brown said: 'I wanted to be here with the troops to thank them for what they are doing.

'I wanted to see what it was like working with them.'

Previously Mr Brown - and Tony Blair before him - would typically fly in an out of Afghanistan in a single day, often staying in top hotels in nearby countries.

The Prime Minister slept in what aides described as basic, dormitory-style rooms.

There was a nearby concrete shelter for him to run to in the event of a rocket attack on the camp.

Attacks are currently running at one or two per week from Taliban in the surrounding area.

Mr Brown was briefed late last night and earlier this morning by senior military staff in Kandahar as well as meeting regular troops and inspecting new equipment purchased for them in recent months.

He later met Afghan President Hamid Karzai, who flew into Kandahar especially for talks.

The PM said the next few months would be 'critical' and urged the Afghan government to take a bigger role in taking on the Taliban.

Last week saw the 100th British soldier killed in Afghanistan this year, prompting further controversy and debate over Britain's role in the country.

This year has been the bloodiest for British forces since the Falklands War in 1982.

Mr Brown said today he was 'more confident' about the conflict following recent additions of equipment and the increases in troop numbers announced by himself and US President Barack Obama.

He paid tribute to the troops' 'bravery, professionalism and dedication'.

A British soldier walks from the accommodation block in which Gordon Brown stayed overnight. He is the first British Prime Minister to have stayed overnight in a combat zone since Winston Churchill

Enlarge
The Prime Minister Gordon Brown meets soldiers from 1 Royal Welsh at the air base

Gathered in a small corner of the airbase, the Labour leader speaks to soldiers

'I know this has been a difficult year,' he said, acknowledging that casualties have been "high".

But he maintained that morale among the troops was good.

About 1,500 improvised explosive devices have been detected and dismantled in the past six months, the PM added, as efforts have been stepped up to counter the threat.

He went on: 'I think the next few months are obviously critical. We need to show there support for our forces back in Britain, which I know there is, and a determination to take on the Taliban.'

The visit, starting last night, was conducted initially under a media black-out for security reasons.

Speaking at a joint press conference with Mr Karzai, the Prime Minister extended his sympathies to the families of UK servicemen killed in Afghanistan.

'I feel for all of those families who have lost loved ones, particularly as we move towards Christmas,' he said.

Gordon Brown looks on as President Hamid Karzai speaks at a press conference at the airbase

Gordon Brown shakes hands with an Afghan soldier as he and Hamid Karzai meet the troops

He paid tribute also to those service personnel who would be apart from loved ones back in the UK over Christmas.

But he insisted Afghanistan's border regions were 'the epicentre of global terrorism' and that operations there were directly related to security on British streets.
He and Mr Karzai denied suggestions of a rift between them.

Mr Brown said the Afghan leader had offered to send 10,000 extra Afghan troops to be trained in Helmand, where the bulk of British forces are based.

There would also be 10,000 more Afghan police in Helmand and Kandahar, he said.

The Prime Minister, asked about corruption in the Kabul administration, said Mr Karzai had drawn up plans which would include improving governance that he would present to the London conference on Aghanistan next month.

Mr Brown said: 'I do want to reassure families of those who are serving in Afghanistan and families mourning people lost in Afghanistan that the cause that we are fighting comes directly to the streets of Britain.'

Mr Karzai said he was 'very very sorry' when he saw British troops killed or wounded in Afghanistan and said he was aware of the 'consequences' in Britain.

In an appeal to the parents of British soldiers killed in Afghanistan, Mr Karzai said: 'I am terribly sorry for them losing their sons and daughters, as we are sorry for us losing our sons and daughters in Afghanistan.

'But we have a job to do together and we must endure, as hard as it may be.'

dailymail.co.uk

Last edited: