The plight of the Arabs

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Robert Fulford: "A cult of misery and death"
November 14, 2009

Violence between Arabs and non-Arabs fills the news from the Middle East. But a larger, longer story comes into focus whenever you try to grasp the history of the region. Arabs killing Arabs: That’s the undeniable theme running through the record. It confronts us at every turn in The Arabs: A History, a newly published 553-page chronicle by Eugene Rogan, the director of the Middle East Centre at Oxford.
So far as he can, Rogan sees the world the way Arabs see it (he’s fiercely anti-Israel) and does his best to sympathize with them as an oppressed race. But his book demonstrates that, while Arabs have surely been exploited, they routinely destroy their own chances of emerging from the coma of stunted development.
Consider political freedom. On Wednesday, Rami Khouri of Beirut’s Daily Star noted that the Berlin Wall anniversary passed mostly unnoticed among Arabs. They don’t understand the meaning of the wall’s destruction because they don’t understand the freedom that 1989 brought to eastern Europe. Khouri speculated that freedom might come to the Arabs as a spark ignited in one country that then spreads to others — like Solidarity in Poland, he suggested.
That’s a spectacular case of wishful thinking. The parallel doesn’t exist. Poland, like most of the countries trapped for 40 years in the Soviet empire, already had experience with democracy. The Arabs have no such experience and, if we believe Rogan, no interest in acquiring any. Rogan predicts that if a truly free election were held in any Arab state today, a radical Islamist party would win for certain. This means that the Arabs, if given a taste of democracy, would vote for parties whose first order of business would be eliminating democracy. Apparently, they aspire to the present condition of poor, isolated but definitely anti-American Gaza.
He describes a culture obsessed by self-pity and anxious to fix blame, above all on the United States. Arabs could never vote for a party that would co-operate with the Americans. That means they are left with the Islamists and the inevitable nightmare that follows an Islamist victory.
Arabs, as Rogan argues, have been kept in colonial servitude for more than half a millennium. The Ottoman Empire conquered the Arab lands around 1515, which meant that they were ruled by Turks from Istanbul for four centuries. When the empire fell in 1918 Arabs speculated about an independent future. That turned out to be a vain hope. France and Britain carved their region into pieces and the stirring story of Lawrence of Arabia ended up as no more than a melodramatic fantasy. Later, the Arabs were manipulated during the Cold War. Now, they feel intimidated by the only remaining superpower, the United States.
A few years ago, nine public figures in Lebanon died in a wave of assassinations. Among them was Samir Kassir, a history professor and journalist who advocated secular democracy and criticized Syrian influence in Lebanese politics (everyone worth listening to believes that the Syrians killed him). Rogan quotes evocative lines Kassir wrote not long before he died. He described the “Arab malaise” and asked, “How did we become so stagnant? How has a living culture become discredited and its members united in a cult of misery and death?”
Kassir noticed a deep, pervasive disquiet: “It’s not pleasant being Arab these days.” Arabs were “haunted by a sense of powerlessness,” pawns on the global chessboard in the game of nations, playing by alien rules. Rogan says the Arabs, after trying for generations to shape their own destiny, believe that they are now farther from that goal than ever.

Reactions: CDNBear

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I have oft asked myself, how a people whose zenith of renaissance was light years ahead of the west, could possibly be so narrow mind and stagnated in forward thinking?

It's easy to blame the west for the worlds woes, but at some point in time, the simple application of personal responsibility and accountability must come to the forefront.

Excellent, thought provoking post Walter.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I have oft asked myself, how a people whose zenith of renaissance was light years ahead of the west, could possibly be so narrow mind and stagnated in forward thinking?

It's easy to blame the west for the worlds woes, but at some point in time, the simple application of personal responsibility and accountability must come to the forefront.

Excellent, thought provoking post Walter.
I believe things and even society goes through cycles.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
I have been to the UAE, Turkey, Egypt and Qatar and have never had any issues, friendly, respectful people. I have a few friends who are from the area and the same thing friendly, respectfull people.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I guess I'm a warrior by proffession

You may lean towards a warrior mentality but without ambition you will tend to fall into the laborer class. It is the relatively high ambition that sets Warrior, Intellectuals and Acquisitors apart from laborers.

According to Sarkar's Law, the west is currently in an acquisitive-cum-laborer era

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
You may lean towards a warrior mentality but without ambition you will tend to fall into the laborer class. It is the relatively high ambition that sets Warrior, Intellectuals and Acquisitors apart from laborers.

According to Sarkar's Law, the west is currently in an acquisitive-cum-laborer era

He he....you said cum.