Saudi Arabia and the future of U.S. oil

strange

Electoral Member
Jul 16, 2009
Toronto
Last weekend Prince Turki al-Faisal of Saudi Arabia, a former ambassador to the United States and a nephew to King Abdullah, wrote a strongly worded essay in Foreign Policy magazine condemning the new American administrations move towards energy independence.

an interesting take on the implications of U.S. energy independence
Envirogy

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Last weekend Prince Turki al-Faisal of Saudi Arabia, a former ambassador to the United States and a nephew to King Abdullah, wrote a strongly worded essay in Foreign Policy magazine condemning the new American administrations move towards energy independence.

an interesting take on the implications of U.S. energy independence
Envirogy

There's about the same chance as the US becoming energy independent as there is for Elvis coming back. Zip. Obama was giving the green light to alternative energy. Saudi Arabia apparently didn't get the message that the age of cheap oil is likely over, being a dictatorship and all they lack this sort of communication because life is still great for them. Although young people are not being adequately trained for new jobs, but they are stridently religious. They worry about the decline of the US dollar, which oil is priced in. They have a few troubles in the desert.

strange

Electoral Member
Jul 16, 2009
Toronto
A few troubles in the desert? man 90% of their economy is oil. I think that Obama's pledge to be oil free in 10 years ligitamitly scares the Saudi's that's why they wrote this essay.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
I don't think the U.S. could ever be totally oil independent, it would require a whole new technology for that to happen that may only be a thought now. Cutting back oil 10% in 20-30 years would be a major accomplishment.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I don't think the U.S. could ever be totally oil independent, it would require a whole new technology for that to happen that may only be a thought now. Cutting back oil 10% in 20-30 years would be a major accomplishment.

Yeah, totally. Everyone is business knows that depending on one customer is foolish. Cutting back is the goal. Saudi Arabia is a one trick pony, while it gets rich, it remains an underdeveloped economy and authoritarian nation.

I read about negawatts, where a country uses less fossil fuel and develops green energy as an alternative, which leads a more stable energy supply. Nowadays, this is only common sense.