Oldest British Veteran Decries the Fuility of the War

bluedog

Electoral Member
Jun 16, 2009
Nebraska
Harry Patch age 111, the last surviving British veteran of WWI died this week. It is said he withheld his feeling about the futility of war until recent years. Then he wept. Recently he asked all of us to recall that hundreds of thousands of German soldiers too were killed during in that war. He asked that they also be remembered on Armistice Day.
His worst nightmares of the war? He recalled quietly his anguished, wounded friends as well as others in that muddy blood-soaked trench they all held for days and weeks. He recalled solemnly that they cried out in endless suffering. Those friends the wounded, grimacing prayed aloud for death, then... they asked for Harry to kill them.

God Bless you Harry Patch! :fish:

Comments please, on the futility of war?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
There is such a thing as a just war. The important thing, though is to make sure it's just. I'm not a pacifist (though I used to be one), but I do believe that no unilateral action ought to be taken except in the direst of circumstances (e.g. the enemy is breaching our shores as we speak). Otherwise, all action must be multi-lateral, multi-national, and done only after consulation with all parties and with international approval and in accordance with international laws.

And whenever in doubt, stay well within the moral grey areas. Besides, the last thing we want to do is become what we oppose.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I thought, Mr. Blackleaf already posted about this.
Maybe I should post one about Mr. Patch, too.

bluedog

Electoral Member
Jun 16, 2009
Nebraska
I did go to Mr Blackleafs post and apologize for not seeing his. I responded there. He did some great research on the man.

It was my intent in this post to talk of the futility of war- any war.

I am a pacifist, I was a conscientious objector during the Vietnam war. Now a married man with Children and a child of God, I would still hope to be a martyr for Him. If anyone came at all of us, like Harry, I would shoot for the legs and intend no mortal wounds.

The Amerinazi government is again embroiled in a war in a God forsaken land that all who sought to tame it fell futile. The British, the Russians, and Arabs and countless before us have sought to control a peoples with nothing but rocks under their feet.

We insist want to instill another democratically elected government and offer the Afgani's these civil improvements for what? To catch Al Quida and Obama? No? We want to rid them of the Taliban, and oh yes... build US strategic military base. Everyone wants one of those.
It is funny that there was a Honduran President two weeks ago, who was democratically elected on our own continent. This man was thrown out of office by a military coup and exiled. Our Hillary Clinton has discouraged this man from challenging the military and is being advised to let things rest. So much for our push for democracy.

Then again. We don't have a strategic base in Hondouras, at least, as of yet.:fish:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Yeah. I agree. War is stupid and wasteful. People should grow up and leave each other alone.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I have always been a pacifist, so I guess we agree on something, eh!;-)

War! What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing!

bluedog

Electoral Member
Jun 16, 2009
Nebraska
I have always been a pacifist, so I guess we agree on something, eh!;-)

War! What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing!

*************************************************************************************
Say it again!
Say it Again, Huh, Good God Ya'll !!!!:fish:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I am a pacifist, I was a conscientious objector during the Vietnam war. Now a married man with Children and a child of God, I would still hope to be a martyr for Him. If anyone came at all of us, like Harry, I would shoot for the legs and intend no mortal wounds.

You don't shoot a gun do you? ret
I have a question or two though. Do you think everyone should die for your God?
Instead of one guy coming for you, what would you do if a dozen came not for you, but just for your family. Just for your children. What if someone you knew simply drove a truck up to the school your children go to and blew the building up killing your children and hundreds of others?

Would you wait for the next school to blow up or would you join up with other men to hunt the people responsible down and either bring them to justice or kill them if they chose to fight?

How many schools and how many hundreds of children would have to die before you chose to kill someone to put a stop to it?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Don't shoot for the legs Bluedog, don't shoot at all. Sit peacefully as they do as they will with you and your family.

The Amerinazi government is again embroiled in a war in a God forsaken land that all who sought to tame it fell futile. The British, the Russians, and Arabs and countless before us have sought to control a peoples with nothing but rocks under their feet.

Oh the Amerinazi...oooooooo. Look at you...living in the heartland of the US, safe and secure as other men and women are ready to do violence for your security so you can sit back and judge them and whimper.

We insist want to instill another democratically elected government and offer the Afgani's these civil improvements for what? To catch Al Quida and Obama? No? We want to rid them of the Taliban, and oh yes... build US strategic military base. Everyone wants one of those.

Yeah... we want to CATCH OBAMA.

You're a silly man.

Last edited:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
lol Last I heard, the USA already had Obama.
I am fine with armies and whatnot just in case some idiot can't keep his nose in his own backyard, but going looking for it is not good. It'd be nice if humans didn't need to defend themselves, though.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Protecting oneself against aggression is a lot different than going overseas to start a war. Oh ya, I forgot. The US went to Iraq because those WMDs were aimed at the US and Saddam supported Al Quida. Yup! Turns out we were lied to to justify an illegal aggression. But we brought democracy to a backward people. Nope, you brought an American backed dictatorship. Oh, Ya! Saddam was an American backed dictatorship. Oh Ya! The WMDs were supplied by the US. Oh My! What a cunundrum!
Now, that is war at its finest, morally and ethically bankrupt. War is about keeping the machine greased and that machine is the American economy.

Oh, but the American economy is in the toilet. Do you see the rich suffering? No, they are making billions on the death of your and the Iraqi people. American and British oil companies are stealing Iraqi oil and the people are dying like flies.

Armies should be for self defense, not invading other countries. Not a single war that the US has been involved in has been about self defense.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Protecting oneself against aggression is a lot different than going overseas to start a war. Oh ya, I forgot. The US went to Iraq because those WMDs were aimed at the US and Saddam supported Al Quida. Yup! Turns out we were lied to to justify an illegal aggression. But we brought democracy to a backward people. Nope, you brought an American backed dictatorship. Oh, Ya! Saddam was an American backed dictatorship. Oh Ya! The WMDs were supplied by the US. Oh My! What a cunundrum!
Now, that is war at its finest, morally and ethically bankrupt. War is about keeping the machine greased and that machine is the American economy.

Oh, but the American economy is in the toilet. Do you see the rich suffering? No, they are making billions on the death of your and the Iraqi people. American and British oil companies are stealing Iraqi oil and the people are dying like flies.

Armies should be for self defense, not invading other countries. Not a single war that the US has been involved in has been about self defense.

Oh yeah! What about Battle For The Planet Of The Apes?

Japan attacked the US and started the war in the Pacific theater.
Hitler invaded Poland long before the US and the Allies invaded Germany.

bluedog

Electoral Member
Jun 16, 2009
Nebraska
You don't shoot a gun do you? ret
I have a question or two though. Do you think everyone should die for your God?
Instead of one guy coming for you, what would you do if a dozen came not for you, but just for your family. Just for your children. What if someone you knew simply drove a truck up to the school your children go to and blew the building up killing your children and hundreds of others?

Would you wait for the next school to blow up or would you join up with other men to hunt the people responsible down and either bring them to justice or kill them if they chose to fight?

How many schools and how many hundreds of children would have to die before you chose to kill someone to put a stop to it?

No, I wouldn't be a martyr for someone else's God. I would not expect it of them for mine.
No also, as much as it pains me I would not take their life before the law got to them... I am to trust that the justice system of my government would issue the correct opinion and appropriate penalty.
I do not approve of the taking of an innocent life, but for those who come before the judge with "unclean hands" so be the will of the people.

Amen? :fish:

bluedog

Electoral Member
Jun 16, 2009
Nebraska
A pacifist shooting at people? Tha't some sort of oxymoron.

I just didn't have the heart to point it out! :lol:

What in darnation!!! Musta been too much green in my Green Tea!!! lol !!!
Spell check failed me again!!! lol!!!!

You guys... talk about picky'!!! sheesh!!! Hey,
(I was wearing a green shirt too!) lol!!!:fish:

Reactions: Unforgiven

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Star Wars was pretty good too. The Americans did well with that Luke kid.

And what about the Cylon Empire!

Don't forget the documentary called "Independence Day"! It was the Americans who figured out a way to bring down those alien ships!

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
And what about the Cylon Empire!

Don't forget the documentary called "Independence Day"! It was the Americans who figured out a way to bring down those alien ships!

God Bless President Joker! :p

You know I would be against war even as a last resort if someone could just tell me what should happen when someone puts together an army and comes to kill you and take your stuff. "You die and I get everything" leaves little room for negotiation.