Lebananon: Obama-effect defeats Hezbollah?

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Kreskin, Obama’s speech probably played a part, though we don’t know how much. I remember just yesterday CNN was discussing what would happen if the Hezbollah led opposition got into power.

So the victory by the moderates is welcome news. I personally agree with you, I think Obama’s speech played a part in it. Others may disagree. But what ever the reason, it is a welcome development.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I don't know anything about Lebanese politics, just what I read in the NY Times or at a Holiday Inn Express.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
As I posted in the other thread there was virtually no change in Lebanon. Obama's speech does not appear to have affected things either way.

Should the results have been any different considering Obama's speech this past week? Some have called it a seminal moment but it sure didn't show any immediate effects in Lebanon. It appears that all is as it was.

CTV.ca | Lebanon's pro-Western bloc claims election win
"Based on exit polling and data from the campaigns, Lebanese newspapers and TV stations projected the pro-Western coalition would get 68 seats in the next 128-member parliament, Hezbollah and its allies 57 and independents three. Hezbollah retained its 11 seats.
The seat allocation is virtually identical to the makeup of the outgoing legislature, ensuring that the same disputes will continue to roil the political scene."

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
As the report said:

Most analysts had predicted that the Hezbollah-led coalition, already a crucial power broker in the Lebanese government because of its support from Shiites who make up the majority of Lebanon’s population, would win handily. In the end, though, the American-aligned coalition won 71 seats, while the Syria-Iranian aligned opposition, which includes Hezbollah, took only 57.

It is hard to draw firm conclusions from one election. But for the first time in a long time, being aligned with the United States did not lead to defeat in the Middle East.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
It is hard to draw firm conclusions from one election. But for the first time in a long time, being aligned with the United States did not lead to defeat in the Middle East.

It didn't in the last Lebanese election. Quite frankly, I don't buy into the "analyst" propaganda. The sides are too diametrically opposed for people to flip-flop. If one is to believe "the analysts" there were people in Lebanon that were pro-west then switched to support Hezbollah (or her allies) only to switch back to being pro-western days (if not hours) before they voted. We are not talking about Republicans and Democrats here. I don't buy it at all.