EU bans Seal Products from Canada

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Those pesky Euro's are at it again... Heres my two cents

Im not going to argue the ethics of seal hunting and clubbing and if your going to quote my stuff and call me a monster, so be it :)

But if anyone should have been passing a bill to cripple the hunt, our own government should have passed that bill in my opinion....

I dont agree with bleeding out of Bull in a Bull fight, like those SPanish do... So why dont we ban all european beef and olive oil products to get even with them....

Bullfighting, seal hunting hating hypocrites

Do you eat lobster, raise cows and chicken in farms to be slaughtered when there adults? If were going to ban seal hunting because its unethical we might as well ban thse other things too, in my opinion...

Last edited:

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Johnnny, I do support the ban on seal product imports. Now, if only they will ban bull fighting (like you say). Bull fighting is as barbaric as seal hunting. Again, like you say, perhaps Canada could take some action against Spain.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I don't understand the headline. The EU has banned seal product imports. They haven't, and don't have the ability, to ban a seal hunt in a foreign country.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
There has always been a market for these and other related animal products in Europe. The EU taking specific actions to address this issue may act to tweak the demand by those that want the products.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
I hope no one from Spain or France voted for banning our seal products in the EU Parliment....

The guy from Spain must not have been paying attention to the ballot cause he was in a rush to get to his Bull fighting Match...

And the Guy from France was late for his hot date, which included some paté de foie gras....

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Johnnny, I do support the ban on seal product imports. Now, if only they will ban bull fighting (like you say). Bull fighting is as barbaric as seal hunting. Again, like you say, perhaps Canada could take some action against Spain.

Can't we have a viable seal industry the way we do chickens, beef, potatoes without threatening the species?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Can't we have a viable seal industry the way we do chickens, beef, potatoes without threatening the species?

That would require that the seals be harvested on farm-style (organized) activities. The same groups that oppose the hunt today will oppose it on moral grounds regardless of the methods.

Regrettably, the biggest reason that the seals have captured so much attention in the global community because they are 'cute'... You don't see the same attention being paid to the cattle industry that supplies the leather-goods to the EU shoppers.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

That would require that the seals be harvested on farm-style (organized) activities. The same groups that oppose the hunt today will oppose it on moral grounds regardless of the methods.

Regrettably, the biggest reason that the seals have captured so much attention in the global community because they are 'cute'... You don't see the same attention being paid to the cattle industry that supplies the leather-goods to the EU shoppers.

Exactly, so the ones that aren't harvested are likely going to be food for uglier critters or just die a natural death and rot.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
"Canada's biggest market for seal pelts is Norway.[45] Carino Limited is one of Newfoundland's largest seal pelt producers. Carino (CAnada-RIeber-NOrway) is marketing its seal pelts mainly through its parent company, GC Rieber Skinn, Bergen, Norway.[46] Canada sold pelts to eleven countries in 2004, with Norway, Germany, Greenland, and China, including Hong Kong, purchasing the largest quantities. Other buying countries were Finland, Denmark, France, Greece, South Korea, and Russia.[47] Asia remains the principal market for seal meat exports."
- Seal hunting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If Norway can't buy pelts anymore I'm sure China will buy them. Maybe Wal-Mart will start selling fur coats - made by child labour they might not be too expensive?

Fur coats made by children... Europeans will really lose their minds over that one.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Watch out there going to start working on bears next. I garuntee you they will work to end Bear Hunting.. I have no proof or links

Dont get me wrong, some populations of Polar Bear and Grizzley, and yea mabye even Black Bear (not in Ontario for a few years yet) need protection...

My message to Europe, let us manage and regulate our own natural resources... And you guys go whine and cheese it

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
"Canada's biggest market for seal pelts is Norway.[45] Carino Limited is one of Newfoundland's largest seal pelt producers. Carino (CAnada-RIeber-NOrway) is marketing its seal pelts mainly through its parent company, GC Rieber Skinn, Bergen, Norway.[46] Canada sold pelts to eleven countries in 2004, with Norway, Germany, Greenland, and China, including Hong Kong, purchasing the largest quantities. Other buying countries were Finland, Denmark, France, Greece, South Korea, and Russia.[47] Asia remains the principal market for seal meat exports."
- Seal hunting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If Norway can't buy pelts anymore I'm sure China will buy them. Maybe Wal-Mart will start selling fur coats - made by child labour they might not be too expensive?

Fur coats made by children... Europeans will really lose their minds over that one.

Have you seen Chinese delicacies? They can have the whole seal....