Living Buddha: Tibetans enjoy full religious freedom

china
Conservative

Living Buddha: Tibetans enjoy full religious freedom
www.chinaview.cn (external - login to view) 2009-03-19 14:22:33 Print (external - login to view)
Special Report: Focus on Tibet (external - login to view)
NEW YORK, March 18 (Xinhua) -- Freedom of religious belief is one of the basic rights of Chinese citizens, including all Tibetans, a living Buddha of Tibetan Buddhism said Wednesday.
"Whether people believe in religion or not and in which religion they choose to believe are all at their own choices," Shingtsa Tenzinchodrak, a living Buddha of the Kagyu sect, said when meeting with overseas Chinese.
He was the head of a delegation of five Tibetan deputies of the National People's Congress, which is in the United States for a visit.
Shingtsa Tenzinchodrak (C), a living Buddha of Tibetan Buddhism and also the head of a five-member delegation of Tibetan deputies of China's National People's Congress (NPC), talks with representatives of local overseas Chinese at a symposium in New York, the United States, March 18, 2009. (Xinhua Photo)
Photo Gallery>>> (external - login to view)

The delegation came after a wave of attacks on China by the Dalai Lama, who in a March 10 speech said the religion, culture, language and identity of Tibetans "are nearing extinction."
Speaking through a Mandarin interpreter, Shingtsa Tenzinchodrak, dressed in traditional Tibetan costume, said any one who had been to Tibet would be able to tell whether the Tibetan Buddhism is nearing "extinction" or not.
"There are more than 1,700 monasteries and religious sites of Tibetan Buddhism in Tibet. And almost all Tibetan families have niches for Buddhist statues or small scripture-chanting halls at home," he said.
"Religious practice is protected by law as long as it is legal and does not harm the interests of other people," he said.
Sazhen (R), a doctor of the No.2 People's Hospital of Lhasa and also a member of the delegation of Tibetan deputies of China's National People's Congress (NPC), talks with a representative of local overseas Chinese in New York, the United States, March 18, 2009. (Xinhua Photo)

The 59-year-old living Buddha also said that Tibet used to see serious conflicts between different religious sects before 1959, but now all religious sects and religions coexist in Tibet peacefully.
Shingtsa Tenzinchodrak said the Tibetan cultural heritage has been effectively protected, inherited and developed over the past 50 years.
"Taking the Tibetan oral epic tale Life of King Gesar for example, I remember I saw only two or three books on it when I was young. Now I have seen more than 70 books on it," he said.
The lengthy oral epic which was created between the 10th and 16th centuries tells the story of the ancient Tibetan King Gesar who conquered other Tibetan tribes and brought stability to Tibet.
Awang (L), an official from Xigaze of China's Tibet Autonomous Region and also a member of the delegation of Tibetan deputies of China's National People's Congress (NPC), talks with a representative of local overseas Chinese in New York, the United States, March 18, 2009. (Xinhua Photo)

For a thousand years, the tale has been passed down through singing or recitation by ballad singers or lyricists among Tibetans, Mongolians, and Tu and Naxi people living on the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau.
The Chinese central government has earmarked special funds for the collection, collation and publishing of the text of the oral epic tale.
Chen Ching-chun, head of a Chinese society in New York, said he visited Tibet in 2007 and was convinced that "there is no such things like oppression of religion in Tibet."
Buddhism followers of the Tibetan ethnic group spin their prayer wheels to spread spiritual blessings to all sentient beings and invoke good karma in their next life when walking on a street in Lhasa, capital of southwest China's Tibet Autonomous Region, in November 2007.(Xinhua/Soinam Norbu)

"I think the so-called religious oppression was fabricated by some Western media and politicians for their own interests," he said after the meeting.
Chen's comments were echoed by Hua Chuen-Hsiung, leader of another overseas Chinese association.
Hua, a Taiwanese American, said he visited Tibet in 1984 and 2005 and noticed great changes in Tibet during his second visit. "It's obvious that people's life has greatly improved," said Hua.
But Hua said most Western people know nothing about the achievements that Tibet has made over the last 50 years. "Their knowledge of Tibet is rather one-sided."

Secure religious order to stem separatism infiltration (external - login to view)
BEIJING, March 9 (Xinhua) -- China should secure order of Tibetan Buddhism according to law to stem infiltration of "Tibet independence" separatists, said a Tibetan political advisor on Monday.
Tibet Daily slams Dalai Lama's March 10 speech

BEIJING, March 16 (Xinhua) -- An editorial in Tibet Daily Monday refuted the Dalai Lama's speech on March 10, saying his label of "peaceful uprising" on the failed armed rebellion 50 years ago is a lie that cannot cover up the violence.
The Dalai Lama delivered the speech at his exile base in northern India, saying the "peaceful uprising" was the Tibetans' fight against the repressive campaigns by the Communist Party of China.
Living Buddha: Tibetan culture well preserved

WASHINGTON, March 17 (Xinhua) -- The unique culture of the Tibetan people is well preserved in China and the claims that the Tibetan culture is nearing extinction are simply not true, a living Buddha of Tibetan Buddhism said here Tuesday.
"In old Tibet, 95 percent of Tibetans were illiterate. Now the illiteracy rate has dropped significantly, as almost all school-age children in Tibet have access to education with subsidies from the government," Shingtsa Tenzinchodrak, a living Buddha of the Kagyu sect, told a press conference.

Claim of Tibetan culture "elimination," "assimilation" can not hold water

BEIJING, March 5 (Xinhuanet) -- Compared to the dark and backward feudal serfdom age, traditional Tibetan culture has been effectively inherited in Tibet and other Tibetan-inhabited areas, and modern education has been developing fast in the past 50 years, according to Tibetologists in northwest China's Gansu Province.
Reality has shown that Tibetan culture did not extinct. Instead, it has prospered as a bright pearl in the treasure house of the Chinese and world culture. Therefore, the claim of some "Tibet Independence" cliques and anti-China forces that Tibetan culture has been "eliminated" and "assimilated" can not hold water.
China makes great efforts in protection of Tibetan culture

BEIJING, Feb. 6 -- China has made significant achievements in protecting and spreading Tibet's magnificent traditional ethnic culture, especially in terms of the successful preservation, transmission and development of intangible cultural heritage.
"I'm glad to see great attention has been paid to the protection of traditional ethnic culture," said 73-year-old Tseten Dorje, who was recently designated as a national representative of intangible cultural heritage.

Editor: Wang Guanqun
Related Stories
China builds museum for family's ancient Tibet encyclopedia Beijing-based foreign journalists visit Tibet exhibition Former Mexican official: Wish Tibet better future! Social stability boosts Tibet's tourism

Hazmart
No Party Affiliation
China, just out of curiosity. Do you believe this report. Do you believe what the NPC say about Tibet?
I think that it is interesting that the people who are saying that Tibet has total religious freedom are the members of the NPC and not any Tibetans themselves. I also believe that the NPC puts a lot of work and effort into discrediting the Dalai Lama and putting on one big happy face.
If the NPC thinks that they are successful in convincing people like myself that "religious oppression was fabricated by some Western media and politicians for their own interests", then they are mistaken.

Colpy
Conservative
Yep....that's HILARIOUS!!!!!

They should take that show on the road.....

Oh, they already have.

China is the new emerging fascist state..........it needs to be contained militarily and isolated economically.

china
Conservative
Hazmart ,

Quote:

China, just out of curiosity. Do you believe this report. Do you believe what the NPC say about Tibet?

Dear Hazmart , It sounds nice and it triggers a response to the post .

china
Conservative
Quote:

Do you believe this report. Do you believe what the NPC say about Tibet

Just out of curiosity .Do you believe what our ex-PM JC kept on saying that Canada is the best country in a world; or the Canadian press .Do you believe in whatever they say ?....if so ...then you sure "don't sin with maturity ".
Last edited by china; Mar 20th, 2009 at 11:24 AM..

china
Conservative
Colpy ,

Quote:

China is the new emerging fascist state..........it needs to be contained militarily and isolated economically

You know what Mr.?........you sound like that very fascist .

Goober
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by chinaView Post

Colpy ,

You know what Mr.?........you sound like that very fascist .

China

I will sent a message to the Mods and whoever asking that they add Rabid Communist Stooge to the choice for party affiliation

Petenice
That's great news for buddha!

Goober
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by chinaView Post

Hazmart ,

Dear Hazmart , It sounds nice and it triggers a response to the post .

China

I have to give you credit where credit is due Those puppets in the photos look almost life like almost like they had a mind of their own Ah the theatre So creative

Diarygirl
Talking about Buddha, I was facinated by the Boy Buddha, Ram Bahadur Bamjan, in Nepal. I followed the news closely about him. Fascinating, unique and enlightening!!

Tashi
Are you kidding me ? Out of curiosity I searched up Tibet in the international sect. to see how its portrayed here and all I see is the OP spreading propaganda. Hopefully people reading your articles don't take it seriously.