Mansbridge interviews Obama

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The CBC's chief correspondent, Peter Mansbridge, sits down with U.S. President Barack Obama in Washington on Tuesday. (CBC) The following is a complete transcript of the interview the CBC's chief correspondent, Peter Mansbridge, conducted with U.S. President Barack Obama at the White House on Tuesday.
MANSBRIDGE: Mr. President, thank you for doing this — Canadians are very excited about your trip.
OBAMA: Thank you.
MANSBRIDGE: When they watch you today sign your recovery bill into law, how concerned should they be that the "Buy America" clause is still there, even though you've given assurances international trade agreements will be respected — how concerned should they be?
OBAMA: I don't think they should be too concerned. You know, I think that if you look at history, one of the most important things during a worldwide recession of the sort that we're seeing now is that each country does not resort to "beggar thy neighbour" policies, protectionist policies. They can end up further contracting world trade.
And my administration is committed to making sure that even as we take steps to strengthen the U.S. economy, that we are doing so in a way that actually over time will enhance the ability of trading partners, like Canada, to work within our boundaries.
And my expectation is, is that where you have strong U.S. competitors who can sell products and services, that a lot of governors and mayors are going to want to try to find U.S. equipment or services, but that we are going to abide by our World Trade Organization and NAFTA obligations just as we always have.
MANSBRIDGE: You mentioned NAFTA. A year ago you were pretty critical of NAFTA. In fact, you even suggested at one point that the U.S. opt out if it couldn't renegotiate. Do you think that's the time now to be making that case, or is it something that's set aside now?
OBAMA: I think there are a lot of sensitivities right now because of the huge decline in world trade. As I've said before, NAFTA, the basic framework of the agreement, has environmental and labour protections as side agreements. My argument has always been that we might as well incorporate them into the full agreement so that they're fully enforceable.
But what I've also said is that Canada is one of our most important trading partners, we rely on them heavily, there's $1.5 billion worth of trade going back and forth every day between the two countries and that it is not in anybody's interest to see that trade diminish.
MANSBRIDGE: Especially now?
THE PRESIDENT: Absolutely.
MANSBRIDGE: Part of that trade involves the energy sector. A lot of oil and gas comes to the United States from Canada, and even more in the future with oilsands development. Now there are some in your Canada — and Canada, as well — who feel the oilsands is dirty oil because of the extraction process. What do you think? Is it dirty oil?
OBAMA: What we know is that oilsands creates a big carbon footprint. So the dilemma that Canada faces, the United States faces and China and the entire world faces, is how do we obtain the energy that we need to grow our economies in a way that is not rapidly accelerating climate change? That's one of the reasons why the stimulus bill that I'll be signing today contains billions of dollars towards clean energy development.
I think to the extent that Canada and the United States can collaborate on ways that we can sequester carbon, capture greenhouse gases before they're emitted into the atmosphere, that's going to be good for everybody. Because if we don't, then we're going to have a ceiling at some point in terms of our ability to expand our economies and maintain the standard of living that's so important, particularly when you've got countries like China and India that are obviously interested in catching up.
MANSBRIDGE: So are you drawing a link, then, in terms of the future of tarsands oil coming into the U.S. contingent on a sense of a continental environment policy on cap and trade?
OBAMA: Well, I think what I'm suggesting is, is that no country in isolation is going to be able to solve this problem. So Canada, the United States, China, India, the European Union, all of us are going to have to work together in an effective way to figure out how do we balance the imperatives of economic growth with very real concerns about the effect we're having on our planet. And ultimately, I think this can be solved by technology.
I think that it is possible for us to create a set of clean energy mechanisms that allow us to use things not just like oilsands, but also coal. The United States is the Saudi Arabia of coal, but we have our own homegrown problems in terms of dealing with a cheap energy source that creates a big carbon footprint.
And so, we're not going to be able to deal with any of these issues in isolation. The more that we can develop technologies that tap alternative sources of energy but also contain the environmental damage of fossil fuels, the better off we're going to be.
MANSBRIDGE: I know you're looking at it as a global situation, in terms of global partners, but there are some who do argue that this is the time, if there was ever going to be a continental energy policy and a continental environmental policy, this would be it. Would you agree with that thinking?
OBAMA: Well, you know, I think one of the, one of the promising areas for not just for bilateral but also trilateral co-operation is around this issue. I met with President Calderon here in the United States, and Mexico actually has taken some of the boldest steps around the issues of alternative energy and carbon reductions of any country out there. And it's very rare for a country that's still involved in developing and trying to raise its standard of living to stay as focused on this issue as President Calderon's administration has.
What I think that offers is the possibility of a template that we can create between Canada, the United States and Mexico that is moving forcefully around these issues. But as I said, it's going to be important for us to make sure that countries like China and India, with enormous populations and huge energy needs, that they are brought into this process, as well.
MANSBRIDGE: Afghanistan. As you know, Canada has been there from the beginning, since the fall of 2001, and has suffered extreme casualties in its combat missions there. And the Canadian Parliament has decided, out of combat by the year 2011. When you get to Ottawa, will you have any suggestions to Canada that it should reconsider what its role in Afghanistan is?
OBAMA: Well, first of all, I think the Canadian contribution has been extraordinary, and for all the families who have borne the burden in Canada, I think we all have a heartfelt thanks.
I'm in the process of a strategic review of our approach in Afghanistan. Very soon we will be releasing some initial plans in terms of how we are going to approach the military side of the equation in Afghanistan.
But I am absolutely convinced that you cannot solve the problem of Afghanistan, the Taliban, the spread of extremism in that region solely through military means. We're going to have to use diplomacy, we're going to have to use development, and my hope is that in conversations that I have with Prime Minister Harper, that he and I end up seeing the importance of a comprehensive strategy, and one that ultimately the people of Canada can support, as well as the people of the United States can support. Because obviously, here as well, there are a lot of concerns about a conflict that has lasted quite a long time now and actually appears to be deteriorating at this point.
MANSBRIDGE: But are you saying that you will or you won't ask Canada to remain in a combat role?
OBAMA: Well, I think, you know, we've got until 2011, according to the Canadian legislature, and I think it's important for the Canadian legislature and the people of Canada to get a sense that what they're doing is productive. So what I will be communicating is the approach that we intend to take. Obviously I'm going to be continuing to ask other countries to help think through how do we approach this very difficult problem. But I don't have a specific "ask" in my pocket that I intend to bring out in our meetings.
MANSBRIDGE: Is Afghanistan still winnable?
OBAMA: Well, I think Afghanistan is still winnable, in the sense of our ability to ensure that it is not a launching pad for attacks against North America. I think it's still possible for us to stamp out al-Qaeda to make sure that extremism is not expanding but rather is contracting. I think all those goals are still possible, but I think that as a consequence to the war on Iraq, we took our eye off the ball. We have not been as focused as we need to be on all the various steps that are needed in order to deal with Afghanistan.
If you've got narco-trafficking that is funding the Taliban, if there is a perception that there's no rule of law in Afghanistan, if we don't solve the issue of the border between Afghanistan and Pakistan, then we're probably not going to solve the problem.
MANSBRIDGE: I'm down to my last minute. A couple of quickies on Canada, your sense of the country. I mean, I think, as you may know, you carry Canada on your belt. That BlackBerry is a Canadian invention.
OBAMA: Absolutely.
MANSBRIDGE: You've been to Canada once. What's your sense of the country?
OBAMA: Well, yes, I've been to Canada a couple of times. Most recently it was to visit my brother-in-law's family, who was from Burlington, right outside of Toronto.
Look, I think that Canada is one of the most impressive countries in the world, the way it has managed a diverse population, a migrant economy. You know, the natural beauty of Canada is extraordinary. Obviously there is enormous kinship between the United States and Canada, and the ties that bind our two countries together are things that are very important to us.
And, you know, one of the things that I think has been striking about Canada is that in the midst of this enormous economic crisis, I think Canada has shown itself to be a pretty good manager of the financial system in the economy in ways that we haven't always been here in the United States. And I think that's important for us to take note of, that it's possible for us to have a vibrant banking sector, for example, without taking some of the wild risks that have resulted in so much trouble on Wall Street.
MANSBRIDGE: Appreciate this very much. You still haven't seen your first hockey game.
OBAMA: I'm looking forward to making it happen at some point.
MANSBRIDGE: Mr. President, thank you very much.
OBAMA: Thank you so much. Appreciate it.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I thought Obama came across as an honest man. He knew the issues and he answered the questions as well as anyone I've seen and he didn't skate around issues like a lot of politicians. I think the world is going to like Obama, more than any U.S. president for a long time.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
MANSBRIDGE: Part of that trade involves the energy sector. A lot of oil and gas comes to the United States from Canada, and even more in the future with oilsands development. Now there are some in your Canada — and Canada, as well — who feel the oilsands is dirty oil because of the extraction process. What do you think? Is it dirty oil?

That's right... Obama's Canada... Our Canada

MANSBRIDGE: I'm down to my last minute. A couple of quickies on Canada, your sense of the country. I mean, I think, as you may know, you carry Canada on your belt. That BlackBerry is a Canadian invention.

Had to get one of those in! :lol:

MANSBRIDGE: You've been to Canada once. What's your sense of the country?

Clearly the number ONE question on every Canadian's mind.

MANSBRIDGE: Appreciate this very much. You still haven't seen your first hockey game.

He has not lived then.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
My question is, are you? What is your take on Obama? After about a month in office, do the American people like Obama?

I am rooting for him because we need a good President now more than ever. However I think his stimulus package is going to do nothing but drive us deeper into debt. There is very little in it to actually stimulate the economy. It is filled with pork and rewards to Democrat constituients. I can't see how giving $4 Billion to ACORN, a group that helped him get elected by fraudulent voter registrations does anything to stimulate the economy. I cannot see how increasing welfare spending helps people back to work. I can't see how giving $400 Million for Global Warming Research stimulates the economy.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The stimulus package is pretty pricey. I hope it is actioned with a lot of restraint.

If he wants to drop by for a beer on the Island I'll have a cold one waiting.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I am rooting for him because we need a good President now more than ever. However I think his stimulus package is going to do nothing but drive us deeper into debt. There is very little in it to actually stimulate the economy. It is filled with pork and rewards to Democrat constituients. I can't see how giving $4 Billion to ACORN, a group that helped him get elected by fraudulent voter registrations does anything to stimulate the economy. I cannot see how increasing welfare spending helps people back to work. I can't see how giving $400 Million for Global Warming Research stimulates the economy.

I've been worried about that. A statement was made by one of the CBC commentators that in a couple of cases, the bailout was more than the company was worth to buy. With the automakers, they have to get back in the market by building environmentally friendly vehicles that people want and will buy. The big three have sat back and watched while the imports took over the market. There has to be pay cuts or job cuts when the company is failing, starting at the top. I don't know about ACORN..so I won't comment.

Is it Obama's stimulus package? I had the idea that there was a lot of input from both sides. I guess that is part of being president.....If it doesn't work, it's the president's fault. If ever there was a time when all parties should get together, this is it. Obama said basically, that all countries should get on the same page as well.

Last edited:

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
America is printing (No, creating it with keystrokes) money like crazy. The currency is in danger. The economic crisis is deepening.

But, I must agree, Obama is a breath of fresh air.

Does he "know" Canada. Of course not! He's been here twice. I've been to all parts of the States dozens of times, but I'm no expert on America. Canada needs to work hard to protect her interests, regardless of who is in the White House. Obama is just one man.

Reactions: Outta here

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
America is printing (No, creating it with keystrokes) money like crazy. The currency is in danger. The economic crisis is deepening.

But, I must agree, Obama is a breath of fresh air.

Does he "know" Canada. Of course not! He's been here twice. I've been to all parts of the States dozens of times, but I'm no expert on America. Canada needs to work hard to protect her interests, regardless of who is in the White House. Obama is just one man.

and as with all American presidents... They have little power or say in much of what gets implemented. The "real" power is concentrated in the people that put them in office.

Hopefully he will be able to implement some "real" change despite the political legacy of his predecessor and the powers he was beholden to

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Exactly... or borrowing more from China from another account. I think this package will just delay what is inevitable... a deep recession.

The market needs to adjust itself. Each day we here of a billion dollar bail out here... a billion there... where is all this money coming from!

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Exactly... or borrowing more from China from another account. I think this package will just delay what is inevitable... a deep recession.

The market needs to adjust itself. Each day we here of a billion dollar bail out here... a billion there... where is all this money coming from!

China. They will soon own more then 10% of the value of the NYSE Index

ps. If you use the "edit" function you can correct your spelling mistakes "after" you post something

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Each day we here of a billion dollar bail out here... a billion there... where is all this money coming from!

Legerdemain! Its a fiction between the Treasury Department and the Fed. It's called, treasury bills, but economists will tell you, it's just prestidigitizing.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
What you are doing is hoping to "print" enough money to create inflation to pay off the debt with a devalued currency. It's a honoured tactic across the globe - capitalist or otherwise!

Last edited:

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I've been worried about that. A statement was made by one of the CBC commentators that in a couple of cases, the bailout was more than the company was worth to buy. With the automakers, they have to get back in the market by building environmentally friendly vehicles that people want and will buy. The big three have sat back and watched while the imports took over the market. There has to be pay cuts or job cuts when the company is failing, starting at the top.

The Big 3 have to start building business practices that work. These auto bail outs I think are just perpetuating this mess of their creation. What is the plan to turn this money into viable products and business practices that prevent this from happening again? They don't have one... they just keep saying if they don't get more WELFARE they are going under. And it IS WELFARE.

Is it Obama's stimulus package? I had the idea that there was a lot of input from both sides. I guess that is part of being president.....If it doesn't work, it's the president's fault. If ever there was a time when all parties should get together, this is it. Obama said basically, that all countries should get on the same page as well.

There is not a lot of input from both sides. The GOP is not on board save for 3 Senators. I agree about working together but I also agree with the Republicans on this. Prax likened it to throwing money into a fan. There is so much money going to areas, groups that just do not stimulate the economy. How is increased spending and no time limit on food stamps economically stimulating?

Japan tried this in the 90's. They kept subsidizing their economy and in the end it just delayed what was inevitable... an economic slump.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
China. They will soon own more then 10% of the value of the NYSE Index

I hope they know what they are doing... we don't.

ps. If you use the "edit" function you can correct your spelling mistakes "after" you post something

But you have to be fast before someone locks in your quote or catches it first.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
What you are doing is hoping to "print" enough money to create inflation to pay off the debt with a devalued currency. It's a honoured tactic across the globe - capitalist or otherwise!

I am not an economist but I do not see any of this going towards paying off the debt. I do see it increasing the debt.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Trying not to SPAM this thread but one thing I do see as a positive thing is Obama is trying to keep tighter control on the bail out money and wants to see results. Bush didn't do that before he left. He just said...

"Here you go! Have fun!"

... and they did.

Obama has said he wants to know where the money they have received so far has been spent and what they are going to do with the rest. So far the banks who have the money really can't say where the money went.

He's got to stop that. He just has to.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I am not an economist but I do not see any of this going towards paying off the debt. I do see it increasing the debt.

Thought experiment-

Suppose you bought a brand new Chevy Powerglide for $700 back in '51. ****, you'd have to work 5 months straight, without eating or using tp to earn enough to pay for it.
Today, a couple of days at most. That $700 debt is pretty trivial with modest inflation. But, just wait.
PS
What happened to Russia's currency after the collapse of the USSR? Can't happen here? Hmmm....