Would you bomb a school?

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Israel deliberately shelled a girls school today killing and injuring about 100 civilians (mostly children). They don't claim it was an accident. In fact they admit it was deliberate.

Israel stated the school wasn't being used as a school at the time. Absolutely true. It was being used as a shelter for children. Classes are cancelled right now in Gaza.

They claim they believed they had been fired upon from the school. But in the resulting carnage, they only found civilians. Not a single militant was among the dead and wounded.

Is this a terrorist act? Is war crime too strong?
Israel Mulls Complaining to UN After Killings

After Attacking a UN School, Israel Seems More Upset Than UN

Posted January 6, 2009

In its first attempt at damage control over the international outcry caused when its military deliberately attacked a United Nations girls’ school full of displaced persons in a Gaza refugee camp, causing scores of civilian casualties, Israel has declared that its troops acted “according to procedures” in launching the salvo.

In fact, the Israeli government appears to be more angry at the UN after the incident than the UN was about the killings in the first place. Claiming the building was secretly being used by Hamas, and that Hamas was somehow attempting to cover up this fact, Israel says it may file a formal complaint against the United Nations over the use of the facility for “terror purposes.”

The Israeli Embassy in the United States also defending the killings, saying it was clear that the site was not being used as a school at the time. The United Nations does not appear to deny this fact, as they have repeatedly stated that the facility was housing roughly 350 civilians displaced from their homes during the Israeli invasion at the time of the attack. Indeed, they say they informed Israel of the schools coordinates precisely so it wouldn’t be attacked. But attacked it was.

Moreover, the UN insists it carefully screened all those civilians who sought entry into the school to ensure that none of them were Hamas members, and that there was not a single incident of a Hamas member entering it before the attack. Israel’s ability to discern friendly and hostile targets seems to be in considerable doubt as well, after they deliberately attacked a building full of their own soldiers last night, killing three and injuring 24.

Israel Mulls Complaining to UN After Killings | News From Antiwar.com

At Least 46 Killed as Israel Attacks Gaza School

UN Insists School Clearly Marked, Israel Given Its Coordinates

Posted January 6, 2009

In the deadliest single attack on Gaza civilians since the war began, Israel fired three mortar shells at the United Nations’ al-Fahoura school in the Jabalya refugee camp. The school was filled with civilians who had been forced from their homes by the Israeli invasion, and the attack killed at least 46. The United Nations reports that at least 55 other civilians were wounded in the attack.

The United Nations says the building was clearly marked with UN flags and that they were in contact with the Israeli military when the war began to inform them of the location of the school precisely to prevent it being targeted.

Indeed, the Israeli military does not seem to deny that they deliberately targeted a building they knew to be filled with hundreds of innocent Palestinian civilians. Instead they claim that Hamas militants were using the school as a base of operations, something the United Nations adamantly denies.

So far we’ve not had violations by militants of our facilities,” insists UN Relief and Works Agency Gaza Director John Grig, who added that those seeking shelter in the school were carefully vetted to ensure that no militants were allowed inside. Israel’s claims about the compound only came hours after the international community began to express outrage over the killings: initially they promised simply to “look into the incident.”

The outrage over the killings was so palpable, in fact, that even President-elect Barack Obama managed to find his voice to briefly speak on the Gaza conflict for the first time. Though he insisted he had “plenty to say on the matter,” he said little else, instead promising more elaborate comments after January 20th. Hopefully in another two weeks the president-elect will be able to decide if attacking a school full of civilians is a good thing, or a bad thing.

At Least 46 Killed as Israel Attacks Gaza School | News From Antiwar.com

Would you bomb a school?
YouTube - Would You Bomb A School?

Let's recap here. Israel and Hamas had a ceasefire which lasted for 4 months until Israel sent commandos into Gaza and killed several Hamas members. Hamas responded with their ineffective rockets which harmlessly made some crators in the desert. Israel responds with assassinations and a blockade of international humanitarian food and medical aid... effectively using food as a weapon. Israel continues assassinating Hamas members, Hamas keeps responding to each assassination with a barrage of rockets. After two months of this tit-for-tat, which resulted in numerous Palestinian deaths but not a single Israeli death, Israel launches a full out assault on Gaza, which is about half the size and twice the population density of Toronto. It is surrouned by walls so the civilians living there have no where to run or hide in the event of war. Israel started the battle by sending wave after wave of bombers, followed by artillery barrages and then a ground invasion of tanks, and infantry. As the two sides exchange machine gun and mortar fire, inevitably civlians have been caught in the crossfire. Nows its degraded to the point where Israel has started shelling schools, knowing they are full of children because they think Hamas militants might be hiding there.

Would the Israeli apologists care to go on the record and defend this callous cold blooded act?

Last edited:

Lineman

No sparks please
Feb 27, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Deliberately targeted the building, YES. Deliberately targeting civilians, NO, Mistakenly believing there were Hamas fighters in the building, YES. It's a mistake. a terrible and tragic one at that, but it is a mistake.
What is not a mistake is months and months of thousands of rockets fired into Israel. Hamas has what they wanted all along, an Israeli response and the opportunity to act as a victim.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Read the post above: The UN told the IDF they were using the school as a shelter and it was full of civilians. The IDF knew or should have known that shelling the school would result in many innocent civilian deaths.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I know the kids today can be little hellions and a lot of times a person could actually feel like bombing the little heathens, but I'd be hard pressed to actually do it. For all their faults kids are still precious.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Deliberately targeted the building, YES. Deliberately targeting civilians, NO, Mistakenly believing there were Hamas fighters in the building, YES. It's a mistake. a terrible and tragic one at that, but it is a mistake.
What is not a mistake is months and months of thousands of rockets fired into Israel. Hamas has what they wanted all along, an Israeli response and the opportunity to act as a victim.

If you don't know wtf you're targeting..... don't attack it.... it's pretty basic logic even for the stupid out there in the world.

This wasn't a mistake, this was stupidity. It was a school, where else do civilians have to go besides schools, churches, hospitals and their own homes to avoid the fighting in Gaza?

Nowhere, because even those places are being shelled to sh*t.

This is a blaitent slaughter.

I have heard of at least two UN Schools being shelled by Israel since last night..... you'd think they would have perhaps changed their tactics like sending in a small recon to areas where civilians would be hiding to confirm if they should attack or not...... but no, they're just lowly palestinians, might as rid the world of them right?

I love how people here who support Israel like to keep using the Hamas as an excuse for their actions and claiming that this is what Hamas wanted....... yet where are all the dead Hamas soldiers?

All I keep hearing about are hundreds of civilians being killed by Israel.

I ain't got a lick of sympathy for Israel and every troop of theirs that dies from this war..... they have it coming and I say good.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
If you don't know wtf you're targeting..... don't attack it.... it's pretty basic logic even for the stupid out there in the world.

This wasn't a mistake, this was stupidity. It was a school, where else do civilians have to go besides schools, churches, hospitals and their own homes to avoid the fighting in Gaza?

Nowhere, because even those places are being shelled to sh*t.

This is a blaitent slaughter.

I have heard of at least two UN Schools being shelled by Israel since last night..... you'd think they would have perhaps changed their tactics like sending in a small recon to areas where civilians would be hiding to confirm if they should attack or not...... but no, they're just lowly palestinians, might as rid the world of them right?

I love how people here who support Israel like to keep using the Hamas as an excuse for their actions and claiming that this is what Hamas wanted....... yet where are all the dead Hamas soldiers?

I ain't got a lick of sympathy for Israel and every troop of theirs that dies from this war..... they have it coming and I say good.

I agree Praxius but do not allow them the excuse of stupidity with respect to the civilian deaths. Civilians are the target, civilians are always the target, women and children are the enemy Praxius there is no separation between the enemy and the enemies family except on paper and in the minds of fools.
see The Art of War crush the hearths and homes and the hearts will follow, to break the will of the enemy butcher his women and children and burn his huts and fields, war has only one aspect and that is murder foul and furious.
As Durka has kindly pointed out murder will be met with murder, the Zionist is perhaps the vilest current exponent of this technique , and has been many times in the past. Always cry victim it makes vengefull murder sweeter by far.
We have heard broadcast ten thousand times the faux humane phonecalls to Palestinians warning them of attack, this is a well understood technique used to drive the civilians into the streets where the shrapnel efficiently cuts them to shreads. They will leave exploding toys laying arround for the children as well.

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Israel deliberately shelled a girls school today killing and injuring about 100 civilians (mostly children). They don't claim it was an accident. In fact they admit it was deliberate.

That's because Hamas, a repugnant organisation who have, in their time, thrown homosexuals off cliffs, probably deliberately placed rocket launchers in the school's grounds. They care not about the people of Gaza. They deliberately place their rocket launchers in civilian areas knowing that the Israelis will target, quite rightly, the rocket launchers, knowing that civilians will then get killed and then Hamas can then go crying to the UN about Israel "deliberately" targeting civilians, even though Hamas were deliberately targeting civilians when they fired 600 rockets a week into Israel. The fact that Hamas didn't kill hundreds of Israeli civilians was not because they didn't target Israeli civilians but because most of their rockets failed miserably.

Put it this way, if France fired 600 rockets a week onto Britain then Britain would rain hundreds of rockets down onto French cities in retaliation, and we would be justified in doing so, no matter what the rest of the world thinks and WE would tell the UN to get stuffed.

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
And don't forget that the Jews were in that part of the world BEFORE the Muslims, and lived in Palestine for over 3000 years before the Arabs invaded. Palestine was a Jewish state before it was anything else.

Jesus lived in that part of the world and he was Jewish, and he was alive centuries BEFORE Mohammed was even born (and I woud have thought that was fairly obvious).

And Israel only "occupies" a tiny percentage of the original Palestine Mandate. Over 77% of the original Palestine Mandate is "occupied" by Jordan though (maybe due to anti-Jewishness) Israel-haters never mention that fact.

Last edited:

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
And don't forget that the Jews were in that part of the world BEFORE the Muslims, and lived in Palestine for over 3000 years before the Arabs invaded. Palestine was a Jewish state before it was anything else.

Jesus lived in that part of the world and he was Jewish, and he was alive centuries BEFORE Mohammed was even born (and I woud have thought that was fairly obvious).

And Israel only "occupies" a tiny percentage of the original Palestine Mandate. Over 77% of the original Palestine Mandate is "occupied" by Jordan though (maybe due to anti-Jewishness) Israel-haters never mention that fact.

are you sure that jesus lived in that part of the world? or any part for that matter....are you sure he even existed? there are so many lies associated with israel and jews etc, it wouldnt surprise me if jesus was a lie also

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
are you sure that jesus lived in that part of the world? or any part for that matter....are you sure he even existed? there are so many lies associated with israel and jews etc, it wouldnt surprise me if jesus was a lie also

Well whether you believe in God or religion is one matter but if you look at it in a Historical sense...he existed. Just like we know Kings, Emperors, etc. existed. Someone surely shook up the world during that time.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto

Exactly. But Israel-haters are to blind to recognize the facts....

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto

What about all the innocent Israelis killed by suicide bombers over the recent years?? Your thought process is skewed....

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

The shyte-disturbers from both sides only arrived after WW2 - displaced European Jewry and out-of-work Arab Nazis....

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
More info:

UN official says no militants inside Gaza school
07 Jan 2009 18:34:31 GMT
Source: Reuters

</SPAN>
UNITED NATIONS, Jan 7 (Reuters) - A senior U.N. official denied on Wednesday that any Hamas militants were inside a U.N.-run school in Gaza where Israeli shelling killed more than 40 people on Tuesday.

The Israeli army accused Hamas of using civilians as "human shields" and said its troops had returned fire after gunmen mortared their positions from inside al-Fakhora school in Jabalya refugee camp.

Citing intelligence reports, it named two men it said were Islamist gunmen killed in the attack.

John Ging, director of operations in Gaza for UNRWA, the United Nations Relief and Works Agency, told reporters at U.N. headquarters by videolink that he had visited the Jabalya school during a three-hour lull in fighting on Wednesday.

"I was reassured by the management of the school, my own staff, senior, experienced, long-serving staff, that there were no militants in the school," Ging said.

"I am very confident now that there was no militant activity inside the school nor militants in the school," Ging said, reiterating a call for an independent investigation.

"If anybody has evidence to the contrary, then let's bring it forward," Ging said.

John Holmes, the top U.N. humanitarian official, told the same news conference the latest casualty figures from the school were 43 dead and 100 injured.

The casualties included people who had taken refuge inside the school and residents of nearby buildings.

Reuters AlertNet - UN official says no militants inside Gaza school

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop

Israel stated the school wasn't being used as a school at the time. Absolutely true. It was being used as a shelter for children. Classes are cancelled right now in Gaza.

They claim they believed they had been fired upon from the school. But in the resulting carnage, they only found civilians. Not a single militant was among the dead and wounded.

Is this a terrorist act? Is war crime too strong?

If they felt the school was used to fire upon them, they're justified in getting rid of the threat. It wouldn't be the first time Hamas has used civilians to mask their attacks, noir will it be the last. It part of their operational policy.

Terrorist... War crime... Not even close

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Well whether you believe in God or religion is one matter but if you look at it in a Historical sense...he existed. Just like we know Kings, Emperors, etc. existed. Someone surely shook up the world during that time.

in a Historical sense...he existed

I'm sure he did (although there is no proof) just like hundreds of other carpenters or fly by night psychics did back then.

Someone surely shook up the world during that time

The Romans

einmensch

Electoral Member
Mar 1, 2008
"She went outside in order to prevent them arresting someone from her house," one of the students said. "They knocked her down and there was blood on her head."
The Israeli terrorist army said the woman fell on a stairway but attributed the fall to an apparent heart attack. It denied that any Israeli terrorist shoved Ayyad or caused her to fall. Meanwhile doctors said Ayyad succumbed to her injuries from the shove. "The cause of death was being pushed to the ground and being struck in the head."
This is the least you can expect from the Israeli terrorist army.

Israeli occupation forces have arrested more than 10,000 Palestinian women of various backgrounds and ages since 1967.-----Arresting mothers, wives and sisters of wanted persons or detainees is one form of collective punishment,

Quick facts:
Israeli deaths reported: 141
Palestinian deaths reported: 543
Israeli deaths actual: 108
Palestinian deaths actual: 821
% of Israeli deaths reported: 131%
% of Palestinian deaths reported: 66%
Ratio of Israeli percentage to Palestinian percentage, all ages: 2.0 to one
Israeli children's deaths reported: 9
Palestinian children's deaths reported: 27
Israeli children's deaths actual: 8
Palestinian children's deaths actual: 179
% of Israeli children's deaths reported: 113%
% of Palestinian children's deaths reported: 15%

Israel doesn't bomb schools, hospitals--Israel is being misrepresented by anti semites