Your ideas on the Anglosphere.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
A n g l o s p h e r e

Though I don't fully agree with Anglosphereism if it is thought of a a fort to keep others out, I do agree with the idea if it is thought of as a means of building closer ties between predominantly English-speaking countries, be it in freer trade, freer movement of labour, etc.

After all, they share a common language, so why not use that advantage. Fairly, of course; I'm not referring to imposing English on otehr countries, but why not use it to its full potential in building relaitons between English-speaking peoples?

What are your thoughts on it?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
A n g l o s p h e r e

Though I don't fully agree with Anglosphereism if it is thought of a a fort to keep others out, I do agree with the idea if it is thought of as a means of building closer ties between predominantly English-speaking countries, be it in freer trade, freer movement of labour, etc.

After all, they share a common language, so why not use that advantage. Fairly, of course; I'm not referring to imposing English on otehr countries, but why not use it to its full potential in building relaitons between English-speaking peoples?

What are your thoughts on it?

English- speaking English is quickly becoming a lost art. The language 95% of us speak today is a bastardized form of English at best. How many times do we hear things like "just between you and I"?

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
JLM,

If native English speakers could be taught to distinguish between lie and lay, then perhaps an Anglosphere would be a remote possibility. But,...

Cousin Spade

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
JLM,

If native English speakers could be taught to distinguish between lie and lay, then perhaps an Anglosphere would be a remote possibility. But,...

Cousin Spade

Yeah, there's a lot of confusing things about the language- what about further and farther?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Sorry, but an Anglosphere is referring to a political entity based on a common language, not the details of the language or the quality of language education.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Sorry, but an Anglosphere is referring to a political entity based on a common language, not the details of the language or the quality of language education.

........Then it might be helpful to be able to speak and write it correctly, before we formalize a political entity with English the common language.

I believe that was the point being made.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
........Then it might be helpful to be able to speak and write it correctly, before we formalize a political entity with English the common language.

I believe that was the point being made.

I think you've nailed down the nebulous thoughts I had in the back of my head, I guess what I was trying to get at if a whole bunch of new people are going to be speaking English, lets make sure it's "English" and not "pig" English. Or does it matter all that much :?:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
I think you've nailed down the nebulous thoughts I had in the back of my head, I guess what I was trying to get at if a whole bunch of new people are going to be speaking English, lets make sure it's "English" and not "pig" English. Or does it matter all that much :?:

........Nah!!........juslong we all unnnerstan:lol: . Uzkay, otslay olksfay ray norantignay, eh?!!