Would a depression put us at risk of war?

Would a world-wide depression threaten a global conflagration?

• This worries me alot.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I'm a little worried about it.

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • I'm not very worried about it.

• I'm not worried about it at all.

• Total voters

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
The depression of the 1930's had led to a rise in the extreme right and extreme left in many countries. Even in Canada, the far right was growing and on the far left the Communist Party of Canada had even sent members under the Mackenzie-Papineau Batalian to fight in the Spanish civil war as part of the International Brigade. The Communists were to have an MP sitting the the House of Commons by WWII!

Hitler was winning elections by promissing jobs and bread on the table while the moderates could only promise democracy and freedom... the freedom to starve of course when a depression hits. Hitler was creating jobs and so was a national hero.

The British Union of Fascists and the Black Shirts were growing, as were the British Communists, Japan was invading China, and the whole world was a mess.

Do you think another world depression could risk political instability of the same extreme as the 1930's or do you think it would be much more peaceful?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I'm not very worried about it, and believe we'll work through this relatively peacefully. But I do acknowledge that a long-term depression causing mass destitution could change things if we're not careful. After all, desperation leads to desperate measures.

But I believe that as long as we maintain a decent security net it won't be so bad. Generally speaking as long as we can keep people busy either working or training for work and have food in their bellies, they'll generally be peaceable. In the depression, social safety nets weren't so developed and governments didn't understand the political and military risks of depression. Today, we do.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Sure it would. It's all a big game and there is a great excess of riff-raff littering the bottom of the food chain. High wages and the costs of keeping the unproductive and non-buying alive is a blight on the greed of some string puller way up near the top of the pyramid. War is pure profit and inflation is big business. Isn't it the duty of pawns to take it on the face and help the rich be rich....

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
The depression of the 1930's had led to a rise in the extreme right and extreme left in many countries. Even in Canada, the far right was growing and on the far left the Communist Party of Canada had even sent members under the Mackenzie-Papineau Batalian to fight in the Spanish civil war as part of the International Brigade. The Communists were to have an MP sitting the the House of Commons by WWII!

Hitler was winning elections by promissing jobs and bread on the table while the moderates could only promise democracy and freedom... the freedom to starve of course when a depression hits. Hitler was creating jobs and so was a national hero.

The British Union of Fascists and the Black Shirts were growing, as were the British Communists, Japan was invading China, and the whole world was a mess.

Do you think another world depression could risk political instability of the same extreme as the 1930's or do you think it would be much more peaceful?

In desperate times where millions are out of work and are fighting for food for their families, it is easy for anybody to get suckered into following someone who can promise the world and make their lives easier. So long as they're taking care of, have a job and can get food, most won't give a damn.

And in this complacency of feeding a serious need for survival, people tend to overlook the actual agendas by those leaders giving the people these things they need..... and because of that, things can become much worse overall.

Which is why we're not supposed to forget what millions have fought for around the world and to not allow it to happen again.

Unfortunatly, this economic crisis, or depression as it may turn into shortly, follows right along the timelines of when WWIII is supposed to happen/predicted.

Think about it for a moment.

Why would all these banks and corporations suddenly think it was a good idea to get greedy and screw over their clients only to create the situation we're all in?

Greed?

Perhaps and very most likely....... but what fueled the greed to begin with?

Somebody must have hinted that they could easily get away with it all. Somebody must have said their asses would be covered.

Either that or they're all just plain stupid and didn't think of the consequences.

But they're in the positions they are in of getting rich and powerful by not being stupid.

So who was the first to take the red pill?

I guess it really doesn't matter anymore at this point..... then again maybe it does. Find the bastards who created this mess overall and find out their intentions, then if they're guilty, hang em high. Then get back to focusing on preventing another World War.

Although that's going to be difficult, since it has been predicted long before the very first World War that there would be three of them.

Two have already past, the third is still to come.

The third is predicted to cause more death and suffering then the last two combined. However, when the third one is over, the world is supposed to see a new era of piece for humanity for a long period of time.

And from what I remember, WWIII is supposed to start mainly with the involvement of the Middle East..... which is already happening.

so...........

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
And from what I remember, WWIII is supposed to start mainly with the involvement of the Middle East..... which is already happening.

so...........

From what I remember WWIII was supposed to start when the Soviet Union sends it's armored divisions into West Germany...

But that never happened.

Tell me... Who is going to fight in WWIII?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Another reason I don't believe a third world war is imminent (though I still acknowledge the risk) is that unlike during the last depression, we now have nukes. In this era we need to think twice before starting another fight.

If we were heading in that direction, I'm sure it would be developed resource-poor nations trying to rally their troops to war against a resource rich nation but would first need to find a 'noble' excuse to do so. Rallying the people would take some time and with the media technology of today we'd be onto them long before they had a chance.

So yes, a WWIII is possible, I'n not going to say it isn't. But the chances are slim. Too many factors in the way of such a war being started easily, and that's the good news we have today that they didn't have in the '30's.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Another point to make has to do with government involvement in the economy. Taxes are higher today than they were then, but so are government services. We have universal compulsory education at least at the basic levels, and universal hearlth care and social assistance and various othe rkinds of programs. That alone ensures that the government itself will create at least some jobs even when the private sector is down and out. Of course it might not stop a depression, but will at least cushion the fall, again something they didn't have in the Depression.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
From what I remember WWIII was supposed to start when the Soviet Union sends it's armored divisions into West Germany...

But that never happened.

Tell me... Who is going to fight in WWIII?

I've heard stories from my parents in regards to people thinking the cold war would lead up to WWIII, and of course it never happened..... probably because none of it fell along the lines of the original predictions of how it will all unfold.

Who is going to fight in World War III?

Since they claim it's going to be bigger, longer and worse then the other two World Wars, I'd safely say that everybody will be fighting, or hiding in caves for survival.

There are plenty of predictions and assumptions of what is to come our way, but when you look at the current state of the world and economy, compare it to what has already occured in our history due to similar situations, and the level of continual unrest around the world due to some major and controvertial wars already going on..... it won't take much to start it.

But most common and older predictions seem to follow along the lines of the US, Israel, Iran, N. Korea, China, Russia and probably the UK with make up the main factions of the conflicts, which will eventually drag allied nations of each into the conflict, and thus, enter WWIII.

And when people are out of work, out of food, out of support..... it's easy to make those people in desperation blame their problems onto others and influence them to join/support the fight.... so long as they have food in their bellies, it won't matter about the truth until it's all said and done.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Well what if the US doesn't want to fight in it? We are pretty much sick of war as it is and deep inside want the two wars we are in to end as soon as possible.

So what if the Russians invade Europe and try to reclaim the satellite countries and we don't show up? I think it will be up to the Europeans to stop them. Perhaps we can set up shop Southern Italy and provide support like the Germans and the rest of the NATO countries are providing the US, England, and Canada in Afghanistan.

What if China invades Taiwan and we basically wag a finger and say bad but life goes on?

What if a WWIII starts and nobody shows up?

Take a break doomsdayers. It ain't happening. The Mideast unity is just a myth like black unity here in the US.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Well what if the US doesn't want to fight in it? We are pretty much sick of war as it is and deep inside want the two wars we are in to end as soon as possible.

Fair enough, I can believe that based on the average public opinion I hear now a days (Minus those who just love to blow stuff up)

But how would you guys feel if there was another terrorist attack similar to 9/11?

How would the US population react?

I would highly doubt that people in the US would simply sit back and not do anything. There have been a lot of talks of another 9/11 equivilant attack to occur in the US, actually it's supposed to be even worse then the WTC attacks..... but who really knows?

So what if the Russians invade Europe and try to reclaim the satellite countries and we don't show up? I think it will be up to the Europeans to stop them. Perhaps we can set up shop Southern Italy and provide support like the Germans and the rest of the NATO countries are providing the US, England, and Canada in Afghanistan.

I'm pretty sure attacks will eventually come towards the US and/or your forces stationed there, and eventually you'd enter the war regardless.

After helping those states and after this past Georgian conflict, I'm sure the Russians would love to lob a few air strikes your way, which of course would result in you guys responding.

What if China invades Taiwan and we basically wag a finger and say bad but life goes on?

Take a break doomsdayers. It ain't happening. The Mideast unity is just a myth like black unity here in the US.

Predictions of the Future can't be Myths as the timeline for it occuring hasn't happened yet to determine if it is a myth or not.

Until tomorrow passes, anything is possible.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Well if China or Russia attacks us then yes... we will be at war. I do not see that happening but who knows. It would be devastating to all involved and possibly the end of civilization as we know it today with the proliferation of nukes.

Another 9/11...well where would we attack? Iran maybe? I doubt we would do that except with airstrikes.

I just don't think there would be a war that encompasses the globe. Any land war in China or Russia is foolish. Too much land, too large a population for the US to defeat. The same would go for an Russian or China invasion of the US. It would be very hard for them to get here. We would never be pacified anymore than they would.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Which is why I believe if/when WWIII ever occurs, it's going to be big, messy, bloody, and a lot of people will die.

There's just too much of a chance of any ol random nation with nukes to fire the first one when they start to lose, and then it'd be very difficult to stop the chain reaction from there.

The risks are high, which is why it does seem not all that logical to start a global war..... and yet, there is so much going on these days, so many sparks shooting all over the planet, one of those sparks is going to hit the gas.

Perhaps with any luck, the world economy will go right down the drain and then no country in the world could physically afford to start a war or be involved in one. We'll all be too damn broke to buy bullets with any luck.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007

"We are pretty much sick of war as it is and deep inside want the two wars we are in to end as soon as possible."....:lol:
You ****ing cowards! You`re losing the wars you started...the only reason you want out. Big brave marines with the big-ass bombs running with thier tails between thier legs from the `enemy`!!:lol:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
"We are pretty much sick of war as it is and deep inside want the two wars we are in to end as soon as possible."....:lol:
You ****ing cowards! You`re losing the wars you started...the only reason you want out. Big brave marines with the big-ass bombs running with thier tails between thier legs from the `enemy`!!:lol:

Yawn

There isn't anyone running and we are going to fight it out as we have been.

Feeling a little foolish JBeee? Sad you got made fun of?

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
WWIII will be between supranationalist governments and their allies. I think there will be about 7 in total (varying in power and scope of influence), same as the beast. :)

A global depression could speed things up a bit, though?

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
Well if China or Russia attacks us then yes... we will be at war. I do not see that happening but who knows. It would be devastating to all involved and possibly the end of civilization as we know it today with the proliferation of nukes.

Another 9/11...well where would we attack? Iran maybe? I doubt we would do that except with airstrikes.

I just don't think there would be a war that encompasses the globe. Any land war in China or Russia is foolish. Too much land, too large a population for the US to defeat. The same would go for an Russian or China invasion of the US. It would be very hard for them to get here. We would never be pacified anymore than they would.

Spoken like the true cowards that you are.
Attacking and bombing small defensless countrys are more your cup of tea?:lol:

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
"There have been a lot of talks of another 9/11 equivilant attack to occur in the US, actually it's supposed to be even worse then the WTC attacks..... but who really knows?".....

Thats the fun in this tit-for-tat the US has created. Watching them jump in fear and paranoia at every report the media can come up with. But when the real thing does comes a knocking on thier door, I, as well as the rest of the world will have another reason to celebrate as we did on September 11th, 2001.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
O wow. The reason I started this thread was owing to comparisons in the media to the Great Depression. So I simply extended that in my mind ot its aftermath (WWII). So then I thought that if people are comparing now to the Great Depression, I figured some might have already started thinking of the possible aftermath of a parallel to this recession if it should become a depression.

The scary thing though is how some in this forum seem to be taking a Biblical stance to this, referring to predictions and what not. It took me by surprise but then again, looking at the growth of the religious right, it shouldn't have surprised me. Yet even it it should be prophesied, one would think that there would still be som logical explanation for it.

For instance, the war of Har Mageddon (Mount Megido in modern Israel) took place in WWI, and some see it as a fulfilment of prophecy. Fine, but we'd think that prophecy or not, we could also analyse it within secular boundaries, looking at the various political and military events that logically lead to the battle between the British and the Turks.

We'd think that, another future war being prophecied or not, that we could still analyse along secular lines waht events, economic, political, etc. could lead to war rather than just prophecy, which is usually misinterpreted until the prophecy is fulfilled anyway, and even when it is fulfilled, people could still deny it because it didn't fulfil prophecy according to their interpretation, etc.

Just an observation.