Why Atheists Care About YOUR Religion

Scott Free
Free Thinker
Why Atheists Care About YOUR Religion

Video

Very US centric but still some good points IMO.

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
Feisty. Funny, too.

Scott Free
Free Thinker
I agree and I think the world needs more of that.

No one seems to mind pushy obsessed religious people but an atheist shows any backbone and terms like: racist, bigotry, hate, intolerance etc.. come pouring out yet it's hard for me to think of anything more full of those things than religion.

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
And I agree with you. This world does need more feisty people and it isn't just to keep the "faithful" reminded that they believe in hogwash, we need more feisty people to stand up to idiotic governments, too. Governments and religions simply get away with too much crap.

thomaska
Cool, so the "too long, didn't watch " version is this:

She wants to be able to be gay, marry farm animals, drink booze and raise hell at bars at 5 am on Sundays next door to a church, and then top the evening's binge off with an abortion.

...while being allowed to spit on boy scouts and old ladies.

Sheesh...whats the big deal?

Nuggler
Quote: Originally Posted by thomaskaView Post

She wants to be able to be gay, marry farm animals, drink booze and raise hell at bars at 5 am on Sundays next door to a church, and then top the evening's binge off with an abortion.

...............Long as she burns a priest er two, my kinda gal..........

Niceaboobstoo

tracy
If you like that, you should really see Religulous.

Colpy
Conservative
Well, religion has its problems.......

But the scientific approach caused how many deaths in the 20th century? You know, the quest for the master race and of course, the quest for the perfect utopian godless communal society..........110, 150 million? Suffice to say all the religious wars of the last 2000 years don't approach......

And, I might add, this woman's freedom springs directly from judeao-Christian philosophy......read John Locke. And then find me a free nation that did NOT spring from judeao -Christian roots....there is one.........little place in the Himalayan mountains......we're still waiting for some truely useful political philosophy to spring from atheism.....I think Marxism has pretty well discredited itself.

And I'm waiting for the Atheists to do something for society besides whine and complain.....you know, work endlessly to end slavery, be the glue behind a civil rights or anti-war movement, or just get together to feed the homeless.........strange, you don't see many atheist Mother Teresas.

If you get my drift......

Colpy
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by tracyView Post

If you like that, you should really see Religulous.

Bill Maher was the host of the show Politically Incorrect......oddly enough, he is the most narrow-minded, blindered, politically correct individual I have ever had the misfortune to be confronted with.

What an ***!

tracy
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Bill Maher was the host of the show Politically Incorrect......oddly enough, he is the most narrow-minded, blindered, politically correct individual I have ever had the misfortune to be confronted with.

If you think that, you aren't really listening to him. He says that everyone is entitled to an opinion, he just wishes people would admit their opinions aren't fact.

If you think it's politically correct to question the existence of God in the US, then you haven't been here recently!!! I live in liberal California and saying you're not a Christian will draw a lot of troublesome comments
Last edited by tracy; Oct 21st, 2008 at 01:51 PM..

tracy

And I'm waiting for the Atheists to do something for society besides whine and complain.....you know, work endlessly to end slavery, be the glue behind a civil rights or anti-war movement, or just get together to feed the homeless.........strange, you don't see many atheist Mother Teresas.

I'm not a believer, but I do some nice things. No, I haven't ended slavery or been Mother Teresa, but few people have even among the religious. I mean, have you personally? I'm betting we're both normal people who try to do what's right in our daily lives. That should be enough IMO. Religion, like atheism, is a neutral concept. Some people institute it well and I applaud them. Others don't and there is no point pretending otherwise. I do think religion is much less oppressive in Canada. I never felt pressured to believe in Jesus or that people would judge me badly if I didn't.

karrie
No Party Affiliation
"Why atheists care about YOUR religion" boils down to the lunatic fringes trying to stomp all over the belief sets of the entire spectrum, and whether you're a Christian or an Atheist, I don't appreciate having your beliefs shoved down my throat. If someone's not willing to recognize the hypocrisy of it, I have no interest in dealing with them on the topic.

iARTthere4iam
I couldn't watch the video as my connection is terribly slow.

However, I would like to say that as a very proud atheist I am opposed to what I call evangelical atheism. Why would a person trying to rid themselves of religious oppression seek to oppress others with their beliefs. That seems massively arrogant to me.

As much as I am sure there is no god(s) I could not possibly prove it to those who truly believe. For many, belief in a (or many) supreme being(s) gives their life meaning and it is just confrontational to argue with them. Arguments of this nature cannot be won. And if you could win such an argument what would that mean? Would you pull the foundation out from under a person who has a loved one in Heaven? Set adrift someone whose rudder throughout life has been the unshakable knowledge of god's love?

I believe what I believe and do not require others to validate my me. I only require the freedom to form my own opinions. I have that and am thankfull that I do, I am strong enough in my atheism that I can accept that there are differing opinions and beleifs.

To each their own.

Tyr
Free Thinker

Well, religion has its problems.......

But the scientific approach caused how many deaths in the 20th century? You know, the quest for the master race and of course, the quest for the perfect utopian godless communal society..........110, 150 million? Suffice to say all the religious wars of the last 2000 years don't approach......

And, I might add, this woman's freedom springs directly from judeao-Christian philosophy......read John Locke. And then find me a free nation that did NOT spring from judeao -Christian roots....there is one.........little place in the Himalayan mountains......we're still waiting for some truely useful political philosophy to spring from atheism.....I think Marxism has pretty well discredited itself.

I guess you would have to define a "religious" war. Iraq is partially a "religious" war.

WWII has a huge religious component

Virtually all wars prior to the 20th century had a religious connotation to them.

So without rigid definitions, it would be difficult to categorize what is religious and what is not

So your stats are at best suspect

Tyr
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by thomaskaView Post

the point I got out of it was not so much the care and concern that aetheists had for "the religious", but rather that "the religious" should keep to their church and quit trying to dictate how society behaves.

Remember the seperation of Church and State being one of the pillars of Democracy...

thomaska
Quote: Originally Posted by TyrView Post

the point I got out of it was not so much the care and concern that aetheists had for "the religious", but rather that "the religious" should keep to their church and quit trying to dictate how society behaves.

Remember the seperation of Church and State being one of the pillars of Democracy...

The unreligious should mind their own business also, by her own arguement.

But whatever..maybe she needs to grow some thicker skin. The religious folks don't seem to bother me all that much.

I think she just wanted to jiggle those enormous tatas on you tube ..and I applaud her for it. The mute button makes her presentation much more entertaining.

...Not sure where she got her facts from...but you do not have to declare your religion or lack thereof to hold public office in Texas..just as I thought more boob than brain.
Last edited by thomaska; Dec 12th, 2008 at 04:09 PM..

Said1
Free Thinker
Wow. That was irritating.

Scott Free
Free Thinker

Yeah... no reason to think religion is dangerous

Cliffy
Free Thinker

YouTube - What have I got against religion

Vanni Fucci
Free Thinker

And, I might add, this woman's freedom springs directly from judeao-Christian philosophy......read John Locke.

Heh, what?

Time to reread your history Colpy...

John Locke was most definitely NOT influenced by Judeo-Christian anything, his ideas were original and revolutionary, many of which fly directly in the face of Judeo-Christian dogma and convention...

John Locke may be the finest example of a true Free Thinker of his century, influencing an entire genre of the likes of Voltaire and Rousseau both of whom were avowed atheists...

Quote:

And then find me a free nation that did NOT spring from judeao -Christian roots

United States of America - the founding fathers were none too keen on the church having any sort of power within their United States.

Quote:

You don't see too many conservative Mother Teresas either...

If you get my drift...

karrie
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Vanni FucciView Post

United States of America - the founding fathers were none too keen on the church having any sort of power within their United States.

What were the roots of the founders of the US? Muslim?

Odd that a country not built on religion has it so thoroughly engrained not only in their government, and in their social interactions, but also in the battle that seems to wage there over it (take Scott's billboard for example). I wonder why that is, when in contrast Canada seems to have much less strife about it all. While we don't constantly declare a separation of church and state, we also don't have God mentioned on our currency. And we seem to have more separation of religious influence from our legal system. Odd really.

Vanni Fucci
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by iARTthere4iamView Post

As much as I am sure there is no god(s) I could not possibly prove it to those who truly believe. For many, belief in a (or many) supreme being(s) gives their life meaning and it is just confrontational to argue with them. Arguments of this nature cannot be won. And if you could win such an argument what would that mean? Would you pull the foundation out from under a person who has a loved one in Heaven? Set adrift someone whose rudder throughout life has been the unshakable knowledge of god's love?

The point is not to tell the religious that they are wrong in believing what they do, although sometime I do tell them exactly that, just to be a bastard...

The point is to get people to question their beliefs and perceptions to see if they can hold up to scrutiny...

It's a Bruce Springsteen said:

Quote: Originally Posted by The BossView Post

Blind faith in your leaders, or in anything, will get you killed

I would think that if someone can analyze their own perceptions objectively, and finds them to be in error, that they would naturally progress to a more rational pattern of thinking...

If their beliefs are unable to hold up to scrutiny, then they are not worthy of time or energy...and they are certainly not worthy of societal implications...

Most people do not even know why they believe what they do, and just have always done so without ever thinking about it...

If people are sincerely open to the possibility that their gods are not real, and apply all the logic and reason at their disposal, then my every hope is that they will arrive at their own conclusions, whatever they may be...

Vanni Fucci
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

What were the roots of the founders of the US? Muslim?

Yes karrie, they were Muslim...

They were secular humanists, who knew that there was no way to eliminate power of the church, but wrote specific limits to the church's power in their Constitution.

The First Amendment reads: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof . . .

These are the Establishment Clause, and the Free Exercise Clause which combined effectively establish the Supreme Court upheld 'separation of church and state'

Whereby they protect people's right to religion, but expressly prohibit religious influence in the legislative branch.

In addition it prohibits the establishment of a state religion.

Hence no Judeo-Christian foundation for USA.

Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

Odd that a country not built on religion has it so thoroughly engrained not only in their government, and in their social interactions, but also in the battle that seems to wage there over it (take Scott's billboard for example). I wonder why that is, when in contrast Canada seems to have much less strife about it all. While we don't constantly declare a separation of church and state, we also don't have God mentioned on our currency. And we seem to have more separation of religious influence from our legal system. Odd really.

Yeah odd...

But it has nothing to do with the foundations of their country...

The founding fathers of the US were influenced by Freemasonry...and while Freemasons are necessarily deists, it does not follow that their beliefs were Christian or Judaic in any way, nor that those beliefs influenced any part of the Declaration of Independence or Contitution...

The word God does not appear in the Constitution of the US.

God is mentioned in our Charter of Rights and Freedoms...

God only appeared on US currency in 1864, well after the founding of the country...

Our legal system is chock full of cannon law and especially in Quebec, Napoleonic Code...

Tyr
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by Vanni FucciView Post

Heh, what?

Time to reread your history Colpy...

John Locke was most definitely NOT influenced by Judeo-Christian anything, his ideas were original and revolutionary, many of which fly directly in the face of Judeo-Christian dogma and convention...

John Locke may be the finest example of a true Free Thinker of his century, influencing an entire genre of the likes of Voltaire and Rousseau both of whom were avowed atheists...

You don't see too many conservative Mother Teresas either...

If you get my drift...

Quote:

And then find me a free nation that did NOT spring from judeao -Christian roots

Austrailia. It was a penal colony

You would really have to define "free nation"

Do you mean a nation that has a multi party system? If so, there are 80+. For that matter Iran is a "free nation", it has a maulti party system and an election