Brown receives 32-second standing ovation as he opens Labour Party Conference

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Prime Minister Gordon Brown received a 32-second standing ovation by Labour members yesterday as the party started its Conference in Manchester.

This is real politics, not all that silly showbiz razmatazz that is prevalent in American politics, where wannabe Presidents tell soppy stories about their families to crowds of chanting supporters, many of whom weep uncrontrollably.

The Government is currently lagging 20 points behind the Tories in the polls - and only 4 points ahead of the Liberal Democrats - and many Labour Party members feel Brown is not up to the job of Prime Minister. Many want to oust him as PM, with Foreign Secretary David Miliband the favourite to replace him if he does go.

Despite all this, in Manchester yesterday Brown vowed that Labour will fight back against the Tories to win the next General Election - which will be held wither in 2009 or 2010 - and secure a historic fourth consecutive term in Government for the Labour Party.

But Brown may have much to do if he is to convince the British people that he, and not the Tory David Cameron, must be elected Prime Minister at the next Election....

Ovation ...Prime Minister Gordon Brown at the Labour Party Conference

Standing ovation for PM

By STAFF REPORTER
20 Sep 2008
The Sun

How the three main political parties are faring in the polls, according to YouGov:

44%

24%

20%

THE Prime Minister received cheers and a 32-second standing ovation as he came on to the stage today for the start of the Labour conference in Manchester.

Delegates at the event's opening heard a call for unity in the party and a strong warning that the electorate would not forgive “unseemly squabbling”.

Tough

Sir Richard Leese, Labour leader of Manchester City Council, said Gordon Brown had to be allowed to give his “undivided attention” to the economic turbulence facing Britain.

He acknowledged there was “much to do” but the party could win an historic fourth general election - provided it had “discipline and unity”.

In his welcome address, Sir Richard said: “I would be the first to acknowledge that we still have much to do and that means keeping a Labour council (in Manchester) and a Labour Government, it means winning elections.”

He said in Manchester the party had won “through discipline and unity”, adding: “It’s tough now nationally - but it is exactly the same ingredients that can deliver a Labour victory in the next general election.”

He went on: "The Labour Party last met in Manchester a little over a year ago to elect Gordon Brown as our new leader. Since then I am sure you will have noticed the small matter of the credit crunch and a global economic downturn.“

To applause he said: “Gordon needs to be able to give his undivided attention to making sure Britain weathers the storm and we need to support him in that.

“What the people of Britain expect - and they will not forgive us - if we spend our time in unseemly squabbling when there is a more important job to do.

“Times are hard but if we show the same discipline and unity nationally as we have done in Manchester we can weather the storm and we can win that general election.”

Sir Richard’s message to the party came as 20 Labour MPs today sent a letter to all their parliamentary colleagues urging them to “stand up and be counted” by joining a loyalist campaign launched by former Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott to secure a fourth term in power.

Gordon Brown prepares for battle

All smiles ... Gordon Brown arrives in Manchester

By STAFF REPORTER
Published: 19 Sep 2008
The Sun

GORDON Brown vowed to carry on fighting to take Britain through “difficult times" as he prepared to battle for his political life.

The Prime Minister was visiting a new school in Manchester, ahead of his party’s crucial conference in the city starting yesterday.

And he insisted the Government was doing the right thing by the economy and by investing in public services.

Challenges

“This is the best job in the world, because every day there are new challenges but every day you get up in the morning saying, ’how can I help make things better?”’ he said.

Wishing on a star ... PM with wife Sarah

“My determination is to do the best by the people of this country.”

Mr Brown, who many say must give a make-or-break speech at conference to save his leadership, has been buffeted by dire news on the economy and his own popularity in the polls.

He added: “I think we are living through quite tumultuous events in the world economy and people are understandably asking questions about what we can do to help people through these difficult times and prepare our country for the future.

“I think the public want to know what our Government is doing and what the choices are about how to improve both the economy and make sure we have the best public services we can.

“My message is we are doing everything we can to take this economy fairly through the downturn.

“We recognise people are finding it difficult with petrol prices and electricity prices and food prices.

“All these big challenges of the future, I think you will find when it comes to the choice, what we are doing is investing in the future, for everyone who plays by the rules. We are not the party of the few.”

thesun.co.uk