Free market is now reaching its peak.

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007
In 1999, the Congress and the president passed a bill which in effect deregulated and relaxed on how the mortgage business should run. The consequence, as we know it, is deadly and in the long term, billions of dollars and millions of families lost. I do not call for public ownership or nationalization like many would call for but is it not time to bring about stability to the market and have a vision instead of waiting until everything just spills over?
From the experience I had with South Korean economy and my life in it, I learned something very valuable and that was loss of morality and loss of family values due to massive and so fast-paced free market concept which were literally stuck in millions of Koreans.
For one thing, Koreans love technology. Like...let say your internet speed is approximately around 5 mbps and this is standard for most of the families in Canada. In South Korea, you would expect 20 mbps to be "standard" and the rest at cheaper cost. Not only that, the cellphones you get in Canada are outdated by miles and South Korea is always at least two to three years ahead...at cheaper cost. But what's the result? The result is unnecessary purchases and unacceptable amount of waste that is produced. More technologies are good but is it necessary for the good of the humanity? I don't think having 52 inch Plasma or LCD Tv will save a child in Africa, let alone feed them.
Speaking of waste, what about our oil?
Okay...I love Honda...I love it. Their cars are so efficient and so compacted...design is outstanding but the cost...oh crap. But do you know why they are so efficient? Simple, Americans aren't and Japanese are used to high oil prices. So you would think high oil prices would fix it all right?? No, taking in the geographic and economical standing point, no. First, the population density and the size of the Japan in itself is more compact and smaller which, hence, allows them to consume less gallons of oil per head. On the other hand, North America & US have one of the least population density in the industrialized world and most of our food is travelled at least a thousand miles. Oh crap eh?
Now the questions that make me wonder...can we live without oil? Can the high oil prices save us? For the first question, no. The second question, no.
I said no to all question because you basically shower with oil everyday. From driving your way to work to the point how your food gets to your plate, oil is there. Some of think and believe that high oil prices are giving industry and business alike incentives to increase their efficiency. Er...yeah duh or they lose money. We can see that increase efficiency and slowling consumption of oil. Unfortunately but ultimately, efficiency is not a solution because we are increasing our demand for oil ANYWAY and in the long term, industry is stripped of their factories and businesses close their stores because no one is spending and everyone is shrinking their wallet due to high oil prices, high food prices, high everything. Like..the potato..the rice...holy cow man...a pound of potato tripled its price in last four month and a pound of rice doubled its price. When that barrel of oil reaches over $150 per barrel, we should be expecting even more skyrocketing prices in our grocery market and beyond..

But no one is panicking, no one is outraged, and no one seem to be concerned about the "future." Our government and our society are failing to provide alternative energy and energy we consume from alternative is a tiny bit the whole puzzle. We'd think by taxing us to death through that bloody carbon tax would fix it ...no..it would slow the economy down even more. So what truly matters is that we have to spend money on our rusting infrastructure and change it or we will face severe consequences. It took us more than two decades to build oil based economy. Now, it would take us another two decades to build efficient, clean, and alternative option to fossil fuel-based infrastructure. The question which still bothers me now is...how long do we have until price of oil spikes through $200 per barrel.

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
Oil should hit 150.00 by weeks end and 200.00 by late fall unless something drastic happens, eg new war, hurricanes disable oil platforms, pipeline destroyed, shipping disrupted, refinery disruptions, US dollar devaluation- on and on there are more things that could drive up the price than there are that could bring it down.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Good-day Young. Oil rules like you say we literally shower with it and eat it. The super heated economy of the capitalist clowns and the endless growth and developent were never reality based objectives but pure wealth accumulating and concentrating mechanisms from the beginning. No continuation of capitalism is possible much beyond the present. Capitalism demands instability and thrives on war and disaster, that's what the famous competition means, it is literally competition to the death. The planet requires a long period of cooperation and dialogue which cannot happen untill the capitalists are swept away to hell forever where they justly belong.
Have you noticed that capitalists smell bad?

iARTthere4iam

Electoral Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pointy Rocks
No, but I noticed humanity is failing at this moment..and maybe tomorrow too.

Could you please support this. Humanity is growing at a massive rate, living longer and longer lives. Humans are floating in space flying in the sky and at the bottom of the sea as well as on every continent.

No one knows what will become of us or our societies in the future. For now this planet is well and truly our domain.

Lineman

No sparks please
Feb 27, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Free market reaching its peak?
I'm no analyst but my own observation is the peak happened a while ago and we're on the downslope already. The personal debt of Americans will be the next big crisis and will make the mortgage problems that we just saw in the US look like a minor bump. All that credit has in my view created a "false" economy and at some point it has to be paid back doesn't it? Canadians will be in a bad way to but not to the extent the US will be. Our resource surplus and the red hot Asian economies will sustain us.
One last note, the turn to green and the failing US economy will hurt Ontario and Quebec for a long time as changing that whole manufacturing base to green products will be difficult and costly. Their only possible salvation, and it is a very slight one, is to ship their products through the Northwest passage to customers in Asia. But how do you compete in regions that are already outdoing you now?

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007
Could you please support this. Humanity is growing at a massive rate, living longer and longer lives. Humans are floating in space flying in the sky and at the bottom of the sea as well as on every continent.
For one thing, humanity living longer is a good thing but not necessary a good thing. Secondly, floating and living in the space isn't going to solve our climate/oil dangers we face will it? Thirdly, living in the bottom of the sea..okay..that just sounds absurd.

No one knows what will become of us or our societies in the future. For now this planet is well and truly our domain.
True, you and I own acres of land and claim it as our own. I may not know what is to come near future but I do know and accept the impending threats our specie face such as food shortages, water shortages, and power shortages (ex. electric, oil, etc). You may not be influenced by it as of now, water shortages are critical in California and various industrialized cities and solution seem to be come rather at a slow pace or none at all. The importance of this water shortage in California will not only add to food supply strains which many Third Worlds face, we--the first world--will suffer as well eventually. Let's be honest here, how much can we afford in our grocery store if oil price per gallon reaches $200?
Are we even questioning what is to come near future?
Why are we ignoring these dangers our specie face?

I'm no analyst but my own observation is the peak happened a while ago and we're on the downslope already. The personal debt of Americans will be the next big crisis and will make the mortgage problems that we just saw in the US look like a minor bump. All that credit has in my view created a "false" economy and at some point it has to be paid back doesn't it? Canadians will be in a bad way to but not to the extent the US will be. Our resource surplus and the red hot Asian economies will sustain us.

We all have that gut feeling that rings in our brain saying, "oh crap!"
And I agree with you...really. The American public holds OUTSTANDING credit debt of at least $9000 per person average. And United State's self-sufficiency is now at its lowest and its trade deficit just shows it all. The public and the government believes just spending and spending will solve everything. Even now, the tax return program which the Republicans are pressing, won't solve anything because those money being sent to every Americans (hopefully) does not mean productivity and growth but false hope in believing that spending will boost the economy. No, no, it won't and it won't because the products which Americans will buy would be mostly "Made in China/India/Pakistan/etc."

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
One last note, the turn to green and the failing US economy will hurt Ontario and Quebec for a long time as changing that whole manufacturing base to green products will be difficult and costly. Their only possible salvation, and it is a very slight one, is to ship their products through the Northwest passage to customers in Asia. But how do you compete in regions that are already outdoing you now?

It peaked in 1973 for the working class. For the rich the skys the limit there's and endless mountain of poor to assend upon.