US "attacks" Pakistan

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Pakistan fury over U.S. 'hot pursuit' attack

Pakistan summoned the U.S. ambassador Wednesday to protest a U.S. airstrike that it says killed 11, and wounded another seven of its forces who were cooperating with the U.S.-led war in Afghanistan.

"The United States regrets that actions in Mohmand Agency the night of June 10 resulted in the reported casualties among Pakistani forces, who are our partners in the fight against terrorism," the embassy in Islamabad said in a statement after the meeting. "We express our condolences to the families of those who lost their lives."
The official said Pakistani military officials worked with U.S. forces to track the militants as they fled across the border into Pakistan. He said the mission was permitted under the rules of engagement, which allow "hot pursuit" across the border of suspected militants when locations are verified.
But Pakistan's military -- which described the airstrike as a "completely unprovoked and cowardly act" -- had a much different account of what happened.
http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/as...iref=hpmostpop

---------------------------------------------------------------
That could cool relations between the two countries which have never been that hot anyway.

quandary121

Time Out
Apr 20, 2008
lincolnshire
uk.youtube.com
Why does the United States want to stir up trouble with the Pakistani government ,this could only lead to more bloodshed and animosity towards the US, havent the United States got enough enemy's around the globe with out making another ,
A Pakistani military statement said the strike "hit at the very basis of cooperation and sacrifice with which Pakistani soldiers are supporting the coalition in war against terror."
Could they not have asked the Pakistani government to intervene, rather then going gun hoe into allready strained relationships with said government, as uesuall the United States go ahead regardless of the consequences of there actions ,and total disregard for international law !

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Hi, Quandary;
looks like it is just the two of us taking notice of this incident. It actually happens frequently and nobody raises an eyebrow over it anymore.

It is called "friendly fire", although I see nothing friendly in it.... it kills just as coldbloodedly as the "enemy fire". BUT, ... it counts as an honest mistake, was unintentional, therefore regretable.

What I wonder is whether it will have some consequences for the Americans. Pakistan, an ally actually, could be enough p.ssd to withdraw its forces from the border region with Afghanistan. I wish they would!!

quandary121

Time Out
Apr 20, 2008
lincolnshire
uk.youtube.com
just the two of us taking notice of this incident. It actually happens frequently and nobody raises an eyebrow over it anymore.

Hi dancing-loon i cant understand it either ? well it must be either they cannot debunk or ridicule it, like they try with my threads,or they are blind to what the Americans do in other country's,and by there silence they in there own way are condoning it !! ,IF Pakistan WERE to take offence it could be very serious indeed as they now have Nuclear power too, not that im saying they would use it over such an trivial matter .( I don't mean there deaths were trivial when i said it but you get my meaning) if America carry's on causing disruptions and anti American feelings around the world they may just wake up the sleeping bear or china into a Asian crisis which would be the beginings of something much bigger and more dangerous for us all lets hope that the Pakistan except the reasons given ?

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Now the shoe is on the other foot!!

Afghanistan's Karzai is getting angry with Pakistan:
Karzai: I'll send troops to Pakistan

Afghan President Hamid Karzai threatened Sunday to send Afghan troops across the border to fight militants in Pakistan, a forceful warning to insurgents and the Pakistani government that his country is fed up with cross-border attacks. Mr. Karzai said Afghanistan has the right to self defence, and because militants cross over from Pakistan “to come and kill Afghan and kill coalition troops, it exactly gives us the right to do the same.”

Speaking at a Sunday news conference, Mr. Karzai warned Pakistan-based Taliban leader Baitullah Mehsud that Afghan forces would target him on his home turf. Mr. Mehsud is suspected in last year's assassination of former Pakistani Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto.
“Baitullah Mehsud should know that we will go after him now and hit him in his house,” Mr. Karzai said.

“And the other fellow, (Taliban leader) Mullah Omar of Pakistan should know the same,”

Mr. Karzai continued. “This is a two-way road in this case, and Afghans are good at the two-way road journey. We will complete the journey and we will get them and we will defeat them. We will avenge all that they have done to Afghanistan for the past so many years.”
U.S. officials have increased their warnings in recent weeks that the Afghan conflict will drag on for years unless militant safe havens in Pakistan are taken out.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...rnational/home
----------------------------------------------------------------
Strong words from Karzai!! NATO doesn't want to comment!

A comment from a reader:
Andre Carrel from Salmo, Canada writes: The attacks are "indicative of the weaknesses that we still have."

We have the US, Britain, France, and Pakistan involved there, all nuclear powers. You'd think that if the "weaknesses that we still have" were of a military nature, no problemo. But these weaknesses really have nothing to do with war technology, do they. They have to do with cultural domination, economic exploitation, and all these other people weaknesses that are at the root of so much misery.
Gosh, the guy is right... finger right on the sore spot!!

quandary121

Time Out
Apr 20, 2008
lincolnshire
uk.youtube.com
” Mr. Karzai continued. “This is a two-way road in this case, and Afghans are good at the two-way road journey. We will complete the journey and we will get them and we will defeat them. We will avenge all that they have done to Afghanistan for the past so many years.”

Dangerouse words from mr Karzai have they caught or stopped the Taliban yet NO .!! So unless he wants more reprisals, i would keep quiet and just get on with the job, instead of angring the Taliban further.! Best to just stay stum and try to end this by covert means, then by openly giving more fuel to an already dangerous situation

quandary121

Time Out
Apr 20, 2008
lincolnshire
uk.youtube.com
” Mr. Gilani told The Associated Press. “We want a stable Afghanistan. It is in our interest. How can we go to destabilize our brotherly country? Such kind of statements will not be taken well by the people of both countries.”
this man seems to have a better grasp of the situation

quandary121

Time Out
Apr 20, 2008
lincolnshire
uk.youtube.com
“My reaction to that is we have to engage at the highest level diplomatically,” MacKay told CTV's Question Period on Sunday. “We have to call for calm at this time and that means speaking with President Karzai as well as officials inside Pakistan.”
He should of thought of this before the airstrike that killed all those people

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Behavior under the umbrella of “necessity”.

The American government told its citizens lies and misled them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/05/washington/05cnd-intel.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

While the United States is culpable in the devastation of an entire nation under the ruse of “urgent necessity”, it continues to use a similar line of reasoning to legitimize launching attacks into Pakistan and anywhere else where the cowboy mentality of America is led.

No one NO ONE will be held responsible.

We can talk and debate, wail and wring our hands until the cows come home…absolutely nothing will be done. The actions of the American government are above reproach.

The citizens of the United States have demonstrated their apathy regarding the Iraq situation, they simply don’t care! For the average American family, sending off their fathers and mothers and sisters and brothers to die on the basis of lies exaggerations and behind the scenes deals is perfectly acceptable. Remember that the next time you’re talking to an American.

This hoopla about a nation of people subscribing to a system of laws….isn’t worth the paper their written on.

The “word” of an American is subject to influence by coercion and worth as much as their “system of laws”.

Americans had a choice ….they re-elected George W. Bush!

Americans have a choice….and they will let Bush, the Vice President, Colin Powel, Donald Rumfeld, Paul Wolfowitz and everyone else involved in this sordid affair off……scott free.

Remember to weigh an Americans “word” against the standard they’ve set.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Hi, Mikey;
one consolation is that Bush actually didn't win - his election was stolen by the Republicans! At least half of the Americans didn't vote for him. Check here>>

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/10432334/was_the_2004_election_stolen
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
As far as this incident with the "friendly" fire is concerned, I'm almost certain it will have some serious repercussions. The Pakistani military is pretty upset and considers it a deliberate act of aggression.
Another official calls it a disaster, and wonders how they can call themselves allies when something like this happens. This will add to the already strained tension between the US and Pakistan.
Actually, the Pakistani army had agreed some months ago to a ceasefire with the insurgents, and this despite a rise in attacks on the US and NATO troops.

A Pentagon-commissioned study by a U.S. research group, concluded that individuals in the Pakistan government are providing assistance to Taliban fighters in Afghanistan.

I think, if and when Musharaf leaves office the "ally-relationship" might disappear as well.

Here is a good article to read:
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/world/story/40643.html