British soldiers arrive in Kosovo

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Britain has sent soldiers to Kosovo to hep improve security.

Amazingly, German soldiers (who aren't even allowed out at night in Afghanistan) are there, too.

Troops touch down in Kosovo

Mercy mission ... 200 British soldiers touch down in Kosovo

By STAFF REPORTER
24 May 2008
The Sun

TWO hundred British troops have arrived in Kosovo to bolster NATO's peacekeeping mission.

Our boys will help improve security as the government prepares to take control of the country.

The troops are the first of 600 soldiers from the 2nd Battalion The Rifles that will be sent to Kosovo’s ethnically tense north.

Kosovo’s authorities will take over from the United Nations on June 15, almost four months after declaring independence from Serbia.

Germany, Italy and Britain each provide a battalion of around 600 troops in reserve to back up NATO and European Union forces in the Balkans.

Saturday’s deployment is the first such reinforcement from Britain in four years.

thesun.co.uk

alypipes

May 8, 2008
southeast bc
2nd Battalion The Rifles?????

The UN is a joke, it's a Monday to Friday 9-5 operation, wars are fought and started 24/7. The UN doesn't work holidays, lets hope these brave soldiers don't run into any trouble outside banking hours.
Host nations are supposed to provide the UN forces with accomadation, I guess these guys will be living in a bombed out school somewhere.
The UN can't help either side of this conflict or the other side will accuse them of siding with the other. That was the problem in the 90's.

alypipes

May 8, 2008
southeast bc
I thought it was a missprint, however, 2nd Battalion The Rifles are a Northern Ireland outfit. Normally The Rifles could mean Royal Ulster Rifles, 95th Rifles...

Good luck to them anyway, I hope they smuggled some real weapons in. Those rifles and 30 rounds of ammo each won't won't be much discouragement to the guys driving the T-72's.