Canada's human rights violations against native indians

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
In another forum, a Chinese had raised concerns over Canada's treatment of its First Nations. I thought it's not really fair to debate this topic on a Chinese forum since Canadians have no chance to defend themselves if they're not even aware that the debate is going on there, so I've decided to invite him to this forum to discuss it further so that he could see what Canadians think of the situation. And since it involves a foreing view of the situation, I'd decided to put it in the International Politics forum.

If he should accept my invitation, please play nice.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Thanks for letting us know, Machjo - I'm sure CC will show some Canadian hospitality to your friend. This could make for quite an interesting discussion.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Anyway, even if he doesn't come, what do you think ought to be done? And if he does, then he'll have a headstart in reading the discussions.

My personal idea is more grass-roots than political, and it could be more or less summarized here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_Dialogues

Though that particular project had proven unsuccessful, I believe the basic idea is sound. Provide a common easy-to-learn second language that would allow minority groups around the world to work together to fight for their common interests. Though I acknowledge that majority groups would have to show support too. But essentiall all those who love peace and justice could participate simply by learning the language themselves.

Looking forward to other ideas.

Machjo

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
In my view, the only way to improve relations amongst the other ethnicities of Canada and the First Nations, is to end the segregation that results from reserves.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Assimilation?

Why assimilation? Does living side by side and having coffee with your neighbors turn you into them? I don't find it does. It just means that I get a chance to actually know them, and them me. And perhaps then we don't all have misconceptions about one another.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
But you know what Eagle, giving it a second thought, perhaps we all could use a little bit more assimilation. Perhaps it would do us all good to not have the Native culture locked away in tiny pockets where the typical citizen will never see, hear, taste, or smell it unless they go specifically looking for it. It might do us all good to be assimilated into this country more fully, living immersed as citizens, rather than fenced and segregated away from one another.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Yeah and pretty darn quick after saying assimilation was the American way!

apparently you didn't, but, I read him as being ironic/sarcastic... not seriously stating that it's the american way. Interpretation is everything I guess.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
apparently you didn't, but, I read him as being ironic/sarcastic... not seriously stating that it's the american way. Interpretation is everything I guess.

I didn't do what?

I just go by past posts and interpet things from there.

Edit...I get what you mean now Karrie...Please ignore the question... I learn fast too...and I am not perfect...nor am I a monster.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Edit...I get what you mean now Karrie...Please ignore the question... I learn fast too...and I am not perfect...nor am I a monster.

lol... now perhaps this last assertion should be opened up for debate. A thread dedicated to sussing out the truth about the monstrous nature of the man who smacks eagles. ;-)

sorry Eagle, I'm in good humors today and shouldn't be teasing you. It apparently doesn't come off in type if you'd think I think you a monster.