Zimbabwe: Annan demands action!

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Annan demands action on Zimbabwe

The former UN Secretary General, Kofi Annan, has urged African leaders to do more to address the crisis in Zimbabwe.

"The question which has been posed is: where are the Africans? Where are their leaders and the countries in the region, what are they doing?
"It is a rather dangerous situation. It's a serious crisis with impact beyond Zimbabwe."

In Zimbabwe itself, the election commission is conducting a recount in 23 of 210 constituencies that could overturn the parliamentary result which saw Mr Mugabe's Zanu-PF lose its majority for the first time since independence in 1980.
It is thought the recount may also lead to a run-off vote in the presidential poll.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7356467.stm
-----------------------------------------------------------
This stubborn bully, Mugabe, is trying to get away with murder!! Will he succeed and stay on as leader? He had enough time to "cook" the election results.

amagqira

Nominee Member
Oct 15, 2006
Alberta
The problem is often that the "Big Man" has pissed off so many people and enriched himself and his cronies that he is sh!t scared that people will be coming after him and his cronies if he retires and often the only way to get him to retire is to offer him refuge in another african country.

Aristide of Haiti was given refuge in SA, Idi Amin of Uganda was given refuge in Saudi Arabia, Mengistu Haile Mariam of Ethiopia retired to Zimbabwe, Mobutu Sese Seko fled to Morocco - so somebody needs to give Mugabe a place to stay - probably south africa, after all Bob Mugabe's son is in the exclusive private school Bishops in Cape Town.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
The problem is often that the "Big Man" has pissed off so many people and enriched himself and his cronies that he is sh!t scared that people will be coming after him and his cronies if he retires and often the only way to get him to retire is to offer him refuge in another african country.

Aristide of Haiti was given refuge in SA, Idi Amin of Uganda was given refuge in Saudi Arabia, Mengistu Haile Mariam of Ethiopia retired to Zimbabwe, Mobutu Sese Seko fled to Morocco - so somebody needs to give Mugabe a place to stay - probably south Africa, after all Bob Mugabe's son is in the exclusive private school Bishops in Cape Town.
That is a wonderful suggestion of which I hadn't thought at all. It would be up to Mugabe himself to indicate he would be willing to go somewhere safe. Wasn't Zimbabwe at one time under British rule? As Rhodesia? Surely they have enriched themselves, and should offer him now a small castle with servants and body guards as a good-will restitution.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Right off the bat someone should provide Annan with a playbook!

We've recently experienced an increase in prices at the gas pumps...explained on American media as industry "concern" over conflicts in Nigeria.... If the United States of Rampant Paranoia can develop an opportunity to "rescue" African regimes (who have oil resources of course) the chant will rise to "Free Africa from the oppression of the "tribalism"....."__________________ (put in your favourite double-speak here.)

The British plundered South Africa and the petroleum that's got greedy American petroleum cartels salivating will provide the impetus for American "exporting" freedom to African nations that have suffered under the yoke of ...blah blah blah...while of course looting the particular nation to feed the appetites of Americans who believe the world is there's...... (See Tony Montana)

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Mugabe parliament loss confirmed

Mr Tsvangirai says he won the presidential poll

The party of Zimbabwe's President Robert Mugabe has failed to regain its parliamentary majority after a partial recount of votes from polls last month.
Zimbabwe's Electoral Commission said results were unchanged in 18 of 23 seats where recounts had taken place.
Mr Mugabe's Zanu-PF needed to win nine seats to regain its majority, lost for the first time since 1980.
The opposition MDC says it also won presidential polls, although those results remain unreleased.
The Zimbabwe Electoral Commission (ZEC) said the presidential results could be announced after the completion of the recounts, expected by Monday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7369072.stm
---------------------------------------------------------
Finally, some progress is being made!! I hope the Zimbabweans are not falling from the rain into the rain barrel!! Really good leaders are hard to find these days where corruption runs rampant.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
In Zimbabwe Jail: A Reporter’s Ordeal

HARARE, Zimbabwe — I had never been arrested before and the prospect of prison in Zimbabwe, one of the poorest, most repressive places on earth, seemed especially forbidding: the squalor, the teeming cells, the possibility of beatings. But I told myself what I’d repeatedly taught my two children: Life is a collection of experiences. You savor the good, you learn from the bad.

I was being charged with the crime of “committing journalism.” One of my captors, Detective Inspector Dani Rangwani, described the offense to me as something despicable, almost hissing the words: “You’ve been gathering, processing and disseminating the news.”

And I’d been caught at it red-handed, my notes spread across my desk, my text messages readable on my cellphone, my stories preserved by Microsoft Word in an open laptop.
At one point, 21 policemen and detectives milled about my room at a small lodge in Harare, the capital. They knocked against one another as they ambled about, some kneeling, some on tiptoes, searching for clues in the cabinets and drawers. Men with rifles guarded the door.

They immediately found my two United States passports, ample evidence of subterfuge. One contained work papers indicating I was a reporter; the other, the one with my visa, said I had entered the country as a tourist.
“But you’re actually a journalist?” I was asked.
“Yes,” I answered.
“And you are not accredited in Zimbabwe?”
“No, I’m not.”
I had concerns well beyond myself, for certain Zimbabweans had been assisting me. Messages between us lived on in the phone. Whatever bad times lay ahead for me, I imagined things would undoubtedly be worse for these others, these friends.

One of the cops gripped the phone. “You’re in terrible trouble,” he admonished. His tone was menacing but there was also an odd curl to his smile that I took to be an invitation.
“Can you help me?” I whispered.
His right thumb was nimbly working the keypad of the phone, but then it dropped to his side and he used it to massage his forefinger, sign language for the universal lubricant of the greased palm. In a few minutes, I negotiated safe passage to the bathroom and left him $100 in my shaving kit.

Then we stood shoulder to shoulder. “What’s this?” he’d demand accusingly as we scrolled through the messages. Each time I’d nod yes, he’d hit delete.

The crowded room was hot. Already, I felt jailed. I needed a breath of air, but when I moved toward the door, Detective Jasper Musademba, a well-built man in a jacket and tie, stopped me. He had been the most threatening of the police. “If you try to go outside...” he said sternly, stopping in midsentence. He made his hand into a gun and pulled the trigger.

“You’ll kill me?” I asked.
“Good,” he remarked wryly. “Then you’ve seen that movie.”

Please, folks, read on... it's worth the time: .....

Edit: This is the proper link!: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/27/wo...arak.html?_r=1

Last edited:

data

Nominee Member
Jan 24, 2008
Thuringia
camera, laptop, notepad or mobilephone could make you look like a journalist

I underline the recommendation from dancing loon, give the direkt link to the article: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/27/world/africa/27bearak.html?_r=1
and provide it to interested tourists for Victoria Falls in the SouthAfrica-German forum.
http://www.suedafrika-forum.net/showthread.php?t=126&page=3

Beatrice Mtetwa: “There is no crime called ‘committing journalism,’ whether it is with accreditation or without.” In fact, the law had been amended in January.
“Ultimately, there is no law in Zimbabwe. The police will hold you as long as they want. The law only applies when it serves the perpetuation of the state.” Ms. Mtetwa was president of the nation’s law society. The police had beaten her with truncheons the year before.
Beatrice Mtetwa said it was fortunate the case was before a magistrate. Most were independent, many were courageous. They were leftover gloss in Mr. Mugabe’s veneer of freedom. Justice was seldom found in higher courts.

The amendment of AIPPA (Access to Information and Protection of Privacy Act) I see as a remarkable result of Thabo Mbeki led mediations between ZANU and MDC. The political chameleon and public right professor Jonathan Mojo (today reelected independent MP of Tsholotso) offered in 2003 as ZANU information minister RGM(KCB) to import this muzzle-law from California as well as POSA (Public Order and Security Act). In African surrounding it works as rather fascist, despite looking similar to even modern EU law.

Last edited:

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Hallo, data!! How nice... you are back! But I'm shocked to see my provided link has nothing to do with the article I posted!!! How could that have happened? Thanks for making me aware of it and supplying us with the correct link. I'll edit my post and put the proper link in. No wonder nobody answered!!!In future, people, please, say something!!! I wasn't aware of that mistake.

Thanks, data for your comments. Again I read about those truncheons they even beat women with!!! What a horrible state of justice they have!!!

The opposition leaders are now teaming together and hope to finally relieve Mugabe of his post. Here is the article from the BBC news:

Opposition reunites in Zimbabwe
Zimbabwe's rival opposition factions say they have reunited, declaring they have a majority in parliament.
The announcement was jointly made by Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) leader Morgan Tsvangirai and Arthur Mutambara, whose faction split in 2005.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7371823.stm
--------------------------------------------------------
That is kind of a fragile union between the two opp. leaders. Seems they united out of desperation to have a majority, even if Mugabe tinkers with the election results during these last four weeks. What else would take him so long to announce the final results?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Right off the bat someone should provide Annan with a playbook!

We've recently experienced an increase in prices at the gas pumps...explained on American media as industry "concern" over conflicts in Nigeria.... If the United States of Rampant Paranoia can develop an opportunity to "rescue" African regimes (who have oil resources of course) the chant will rise to "Free Africa from the oppression of the "tribalism"....."__________________ (put in your favourite double-speak here.)

The British plundered South Africa and the petroleum that's got greedy American petroleum cartels salivating will provide the impetus for American "exporting" freedom to African nations that have suffered under the yoke of ...blah blah blah...while of course looting the particular nation to feed the appetites of Americans who believe the world is there's...... (See Tony Montana)

Ummmm...you weren't accusing OTHER people of paranoia were you?

Hello pot...this is kettle...you're black.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Civil society's triumph on Zimbabwe

It has been reported that China has finally recalled the An Yue Jiang, the ship allegedly loaded with arms for Zimbabwe.

Rights groups hailed the move as a major victory, a triumph of public opinion over political cynicism.
It seems civil society is taking the lead, well ahead of national leaders, on the question of Zimbabwe.
The An Yue Jiang is a container ship owned by China’s state-run shipping company COSCO, reported to be carrying millions of rounds of assault rifle, ammunition, mortar rounds and rocket-propelled grenades.
When the ship anchored off the South African port of Durban, a local news magazine revealed that it was about to off-load the weapons, and public opinion reacted with outrage.

When the ship anchored off the South African port of Durban, a local news magazine revealed that it was about to off-load the weapons, and public opinion reacted with outrage.
Newspaper editorials condemned the shipment, callers rang radio talk shows complaining that the weapons could be used by the Zimbabwean government against its own people.
The South African government’s response was blunt. "So what?" they said.

Full article here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7366599.stm
----------------------------------------------------
Mugabe must have bought the weapons from China, and most likely would have used them against his own people!

I cheer with the people... to successfully have achieved what politicians couldn't or wouldn't: Stopping the unloading of a huge weapons delivery!
This boost in confidence might help them in the future to stand up against the wrongs of their government... a least I hope so.

My disappointment is with the complacent and unhelpful reaction of SA. I doubt the former Mandela Government would have allowed the unloading of the cargo.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
The political chameleon and public right professor Jonathan Mojo (today reelected independent MP of Tsholotso) offered in 2003 as ZANU information minister RGM(KCB) to import this muzzle-law from California as well as POSA (Public Order and Security Act). In African surrounding it works as rather fascist, despite looking similar to even modern EU law.
Data, is that the dog muzzle law? You mean to shut people up?

And POSA? Something to arrest people without charge? Beat them with rubber sticks?
During his tenure, Jonathan Mojo crafted and defended, helped by Patrick Chinamasa, the AIPPA and POSA laws, which consolidated Mugabe's power. Since being expelled from government, he has taken to deny and outrightly reject the common fact that he was the architect of these laws.
He is an interesting fella, changing back and forth as he sees fit. Apparently he is banned from entering the US due to his undermining Zimbabwe's democracy.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Zimbabwe announces poll results

The long-awaited results of Zimbabwe's presidential poll have been announced, with the opposition's Morgan Tsvangirai winning 47.9%, forcing a second round.
Election officials say Mr Tsvangirai beat President Robert Mugabe's 43.2%, but both candidates fell short of the 50% needed for an outright win.
A spokesman for Mr Mugabe said the result brought no surprises.
But Mr Tsvangirai's party, the Movement for Democratic Change (MDC), said the result was "scandalous".
The MDC accuses Mugabe supporters of rigging the vote and of launching a campaign of intimidation and violence following the elections on 29 March.

"This whole thing is a scandal, scandalous daylight robbery and everyone knows that!"
Nelson Chamisa, MDC spokesman
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7380445.stm
----------------------------------------------------------
There is another chance for Mugabe to still win! It is scandalous! But what can the opposition do?

data

Nominee Member
Jan 24, 2008
Thuringia
Tswangirai will never enter state house, husband saves it for ZANU-PF hands.

"This whole thing is a scandal, scandalous daylight robbery and everyone knows that!"Nelson Chamisa, MDC spokesmanhttp://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7380445.stm

Masvingo-MDC spokesperson Nelson Chamisa’s homestead in the Chiwara communal lands of Gutu South constituency in Masvingo province was razed down by armed soldiers and suspected ZANU-P F militia yesterday. http://www.zimdaily.com/news/chamisa27.5005.html

Meanwhile Grace Mugabe is on shopping tour in Rome (joking about travel ban).
http://newzim.proboards86.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=138933
zerohour
JESUS. HOLY MACKEREL.HE IS SO SCARED TO XENOPHOBIA IN ROME TARGETED TO ZIMBABWEANS.
Mackerel is the Zimbabwean nickname of Angela Merkel.
Sir Rover-LIMITED EDITION™
Mugabe aide tries to kiss CBC cameraman earlier today

Reactions: dancing-loon

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Hi, data...
what a fantastic hilarious picture!!!

So, and the Missus goes shopping in Rome, while her husband and his gang go on a rampage destroying opponents houses!!

What is your take on the situation? Will Mugabe stay in power?

data

Nominee Member
Jan 24, 2008
Thuringia
What is your take on the situation? Will Mugabe stay in power?
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
http://www.newzimbabwe.com/pages/mugabe4.18270.html
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Even if people vote for the MDC, Morgan Tsvangirai will never step foot inside State House," she said in Shamva, in the Mashonaland Central province, after meeting victims of political violence that has rocked Zimbabwe since the first round of voting on March 29.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"He will only get to hear about what it looks like inside State House from people who have been there. Even if Baba (Mugabe) loses, he will only leave State House to make way for someone from Zanu PF."[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Grace lend the dentals of Robert to his daughter Bona. Bob is happy, because Grace is laughing. But the guard behind closed his ears, because he would risk his life to reveal he understood the reason of the fun.

[/FONT]
The likelihood of a dirty civil war is now closer than ever, even though only one side has guns.
http://www.zwnews.com/issuefull.cfm?ArticleID=18892

Last edited:

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Hi, data;
what an explosive situation!!! They should scrap the run-off election... why even bother going through the farce? Only more people will get killed.

Did the people have it worse under White rule? I can't imagine.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Eaglesmack

Who do you think ought to over-see the election process in Zimbabwe....America? Let's see now....George Bush....Al Gore.....DNC imposes blocks on Michigan and Florida....

Yes America knows how to "run" its elections doesn't it!?

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Let the Europeans do the monitoring!:lol: Especially the Germans... they are thourough to the I-dot!

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

Featured
U.S.-British efforts fail to isolate Zimbabwe
By Abayomi Azikiwe, Editor, Pan-African News Wire
Jul 9, 2008, 18:33

Published Jul 3, 2008
President Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe was inaugurated for a sixth term on June 29 after winning a landslide victory on behalf of the ruling Zimbabwe African Nation Union-Patriotic Front against the opposition Western-backed Movement for Democratic Change-Tsvangira.
ZANU-PF, which led the nation to independence along with the now-merged Zimbabwe African People’s Union, has been the focus of a well-orchestrated destabilization program carried out by the Britain and the United States. This Western campaign has included economic sanctions as well as an intense international media blitz which seeks to create public opinion against the ruling party in Zimbabwe.
Just six days prior to the June 27 run-off elections, MDC-T leader Morgan Tsvangirai announced that he was pulling out of the poll. The run-off was required because no candidate received 51 percent of the popular vote for president. In the legislative elections, the MDC-T won a slight majority in the lower house of the parliament, while ZANU-PF won a majority in the Senate.
According to the Zimbabwe Electoral Commission, a candidate cannot withdraw from a race if fewer than 21 days remain until the poll. Consequently, Tsvangirai’s name still appeared on ballots printed and distributed to polling places throughout the country. The MDC-T leader also told his supporters not to vote in the elections, guaranteeing ZANU-PF a landslide victory.
After President Mugabe was inaugurated on June 29, he immediately flew to Sharm el-Sheik in Egypt to participate in the African Union Summit for 2008. According to Western press agencies such as the British Broadcasting Corporation, the political situation in Zimbabwe was going to overshadow all other issues at the AU Summit. BBC reports were designed to portray Zimbabwe in a negative light and to prompt African leaders to denounce President Mugabe.
At the same time, U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice met with Chinese leaders in an effort to pressure them to support sanctions against the ZANU-PF and other efforts aimed at regime change in this southern African nation. Chinese diplomats rejected these efforts and stressed the need for interparty