Celine Dion voiced her support

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
CHINA / Newsmaker

Celine Dion supports Beijing Olympics

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif](Xinhua)
Updated: 2008-04-13 16:01[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] BEIJING -- Canadian pop star Celine Dion voiced her support for the upcoming Beijng Olympic Games here on Saturday, saying she was "definitely against boycotting" the Games.

Canadian singer Celine Dion (R) and her husband Rene Angelil (C) attend a TV program in Beijing, China, April 12, 2008. Celine Dion expressed her admiration for and blessing to Beijing and the 2008 Beijing Olympics during a press conference on Saturday. [Xinhua]
"When you talk about the Olympics, you don't say politics," she said at a press conference. "We talk about power. We talk about love. And we talk about dreams."
The Quebec native sang the theme song for the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games, the "Power of the Dream".
Dion called on all people to "keep the dream possible for our young kids".

Canadian singer Celine Dion (R) and her husband Rene Angelil attend a TV program in Beijing, China, April 12, 2008. [Xinhua]
She came to Beijing to express support for the Games after her concert in Shanghai on Friday.
On Saturday, the chanteuse received a gift sculpture from Zhao Dongming, director of the cultural activities department of the Beijing Organizing Committee for the Olympic Games (BOCOG).
On finding out the name of the sculpture, "eternal flame", Dion said "keep the flame eternal."
Many foreign governments and senior officials have expressed support for the Beijing Olympic Games, condemning the deeds of those disrupting the Olympic torch relay and politicizing the sports event.

Canadian singer Celine Dion sings a song during a TV program in Beijing, China, April 12, 2008. [Xinhua]
Baleka Mbete, Speaker of South Africa's National Assembly, said on Friday at a press conference for the 118th Assembly of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) that appeals for boycotting the Olympics and disrupting the torch relay would never gain popular support.
She said any person with conscience would condemn such deeds of obstructing the Olympic Games that was a grand sports occasion for the entire human race.
IPU Secretary General Anders B. Johnsson also told the press conference that the IPU was strongly opposed to violent deeds and was against any act of obstructing the Olympic Games.
The Republic of Korea (ROK), Thailand, Peru, Afghanistan and many other countries also expressed support.
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:cool:Right, a pop star diva with her finger right on the political pulse. Nice photo-op too, although she's probably sincere.

I forgot to hit the "sarcasm" button , but y'all got it, right?

:read2:

Last edited:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
If I could sell 10 million bycycles in China I'd be prone to say just about anything, and I'd go there to say it. Nevertheless, Celine is probably sincere, as the Nuggler said.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
CHINA / Newsmaker

Celine Dion supports Beijing Olympics

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif](Xinhua)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Updated: 2008-04-13 16:01[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]BEIJING -- Canadian pop star Celine Dion voiced her support for the upcoming Beijng Olympic Games here on Saturday, saying she was "definitely against boycotting" the Games.

Canadian singer Celine Dion (R) and her husband Rene Angelil (C) attend a TV program in Beijing, China, April 12, 2008. Celine Dion expressed her admiration for and blessing to Beijing and the 2008 Beijing Olympics during a press conference on Saturday. [Xinhua]

"When you talk about the Olympics, you don't say politics," she said at a press conference. "We talk about power. We talk about love. And we talk about dreams."
The Quebec native sang the theme song for the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games, the "Power of the Dream".
Dion called on all people to "keep the dream possible for our young kids".

Canadian singer Celine Dion (R) and her husband Rene Angelil attend a TV program in Beijing, China, April 12, 2008. [Xinhua]

She came to Beijing to express support for the Games after her concert in Shanghai on Friday.
On Saturday, the chanteuse received a gift sculpture from Zhao Dongming, director of the cultural activities department of the Beijing Organizing Committee for the Olympic Games (BOCOG).
On finding out the name of the sculpture, "eternal flame", Dion said "keep the flame eternal."
Many foreign governments and senior officials have expressed support for the Beijing Olympic Games, condemning the deeds of those disrupting the Olympic torch relay and politicizing the sports event.

Canadian singer Celine Dion sings a song during a TV program in Beijing, China, April 12, 2008. [Xinhua]

Baleka Mbete, Speaker of South Africa's National Assembly, said on Friday at a press conference for the 118th Assembly of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) that appeals for boycotting the Olympics and disrupting the torch relay would never gain popular support.
She said any person with conscience would condemn such deeds of obstructing the Olympic Games that was a grand sports occasion for the entire human race.
IPU Secretary General Anders B. Johnsson also told the press conference that the IPU was strongly opposed to violent deeds and was against any act of obstructing the Olympic Games.
The Republic of Korea (ROK), Thailand, Peru, Afghanistan and many other countries also expressed support.
[/FONT]

Celine Dion?

Yet another reason to boycot.......

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I'm waiting patiently for the World Nudist Association to weigh in on this. Let me know about any scheduled press conferences.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
It's self-promotion, taking a page from Madonna or any other greedy pop-star with allusions of identification with the "common man"....

From Chuck Norris to Bono to Celine to Charlton Heston, popularity used to influence...or at least pretending to be interested in this or that issue...is fundamentally about self-first and the rest is cultivating an opportunity. Whether its a presidential candidate or Smarties...the whole effort is to get yourself in front of the cameras and continue to fool the world into thinking you actually have a clue....

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
China, there is NOBODY on earth whose opinion matters LESS to the average Canadian than Celine Dion.

In fact, you have probably picked the one celebrity that Canadians most love to heap scorn and derision upon.....

Why?

She is a self-centred idiot with all the intellectual capacity of a coconut...... (apologies to coconuts everywhere)...and the ethics of a sewer rat

....as she has just proven yet again....

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
China, there is NOBODY on earth whose opinion matters LESS to the average Canadian than Celine Dion.

In fact, you have probably picked the one celebrity that Canadians most love to heap scorn and derision upon.....

Why?

She is a self-centred idiot with all the intellectual capacity of a coconut...... (apologies to coconuts everywhere)...and the ethics of a sewer rat

....as she has just proven yet again....

This infernal place wouldn't let me give you anymore cred, dear god I love you. I think I asked this once before, but it bears asking again...

Will you be my Dad!!!???

Reactions: dancing-loon

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'd be pissed if people expected me to stop giving my opinion based on my 'status'. Oh wait, that's been happening here too. lol.

But anyway, my point is, just because she's a celeb doesn't mean she should have to gag herself on these issues. I like her point. It's not about the governments or, at least, it shouldn't be. It should be about the athletes.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Bush adviser: Boycott of Beijing ceremonies a 'cop-out'

WASHINGTON (AP) — It would be a "cop-out" for countries to skip the opening ceremonies at the Beijing Olympics as a way of protesting China's crackdown in Tibet, President Bush's national security adviser said Sunday.
The kind of "quiet diplomacy" that the U.S. is practicing is a better way to send a message to China's leaders rather than "frontal confrontation," Stephen Hadley said.
President Bush has given no indication he will skip the event.
"I don't view the Olympics as a political event," Bush said this past week. "I view it as a sporting event."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olymp...protests_N.htm
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Mister Bush, I like you for that!!! Now, make sure you show up, too.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
quoting Bush
President Bush has given no indication he will skip the event.
"I don't view the Olympics as a political event," Bush said this past week. "I view it as a sporting event."
What a crock. The Olympics have been a political football for as long as I can remember.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
What a crock. The Olympics have been a political football for as long as I can remember.
Hell, the Moscow Games were boycotted entirely by those who wanted the Russians to stop fighting Bin Laden in Afghanistan.