Berlin's Canadian conundrum on the Hindu Kush

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Berlin's Canadian conundrum on the Hindu Kush

The contentious eastward expansion of NATO isn’t the only issue clouding the transatlantic alliance’s summit in Romania this week. The Local’s Marc Young explores German reluctance to join the fighting in southern Afghanistan and the implications for Berlin’s foreign policy.

You know you’ve got a problem if even Canada is annoyed.

Aside from getting all huffy when someone challenges their sovereignty over vast swaths of the Arctic with an icebreaker or submarine, the Canadians aren’t known for picking foreign policy fights. But here we are, in the spring of 2008, and Ottawa is calling out its German NATO allies for supposedly shirking some of the heavy lifting in Afghanistan.

Read full article here:
http://www.thelocal.de/11049/
---------------------------------------------------------
I'm getting bored, and thought I'll check things out in Germany for a change. You folks might be interested and at least get a little chuckle out of reading this.;-)

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Canada is a spineless nation that has no forigne policy of it's own, it obeys it's anglo-american masters to the letter with no deviation. I would advise the German people to pay no attention to Ottawa lackys. We have given up our sovernigty without even the whimpering of a churlish dog. We deserve nothing but the contempt of the world.
Merkels a lapdog, NATO is nothing else but the military arm of the bankers, a despicable bunch of lying destroyers who've done nothing but spend money on arms to destabalize the world for Uncle Sam.

Here's the reality of Afghanistan

U.S. Needs Taliban to Regain Afghanistan

By Jalal Ghazi

The Taliban are back and stronger and more popular than ever. NATO and the United States will soon have no choice but to negotiate with them six years after driving them out of Kabul. That’s the impression one gets from reading Arab media on the war in Afghanistan. Continue

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Canada is a spineless nation that has no forigne policy of it's own, it obeys it's anglo-american masters to the letter with no deviation. I would advise the German people to pay no attention to Ottawa lackys. We have given up our sovernigty without even the whimpering of a churlish dog. We deserve nothing but the contempt of the world.
Merkels a lapdog, NATO is nothing else but the military arm of the bankers, a despicable bunch of lying destroyers who've done nothing but spend money on arms to destabalize the world for Uncle Sam.

Here's the reality of Afghanistan

U.S. Needs Taliban to Regain Afghanistan

By Jalal Ghazi

The Taliban are back and stronger and more popular than ever. NATO and the United States will soon have no choice but to negotiate with them six years after driving them out of Kabul. That’s the impression one gets from reading Arab media on the war in Afghanistan. Continue
Hi, Beaver; I see you don't waste any compliments on Ottawa!:lol: I'm not impressed either at the moment. But we voted them in, and will have to put up with the bunch for a while longer.

You are right about Mrs. Merkel!! I feel the same. In a recent poll, though, she got a 60% approval rating from the Germans. A lot better than Bush.

I know you have it in for the bankers! As a senior I can't complain, they give me all services for free! ;-)

Thanks for the article. I read it, and the message seems to be: Negotiate! Finally!