Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
OLYMPICS/ News

OLYMPICS/ News

Relay finishes well despite route change
By Hu Yinan (China Daily)
Updated: 2008-04-11 06:29

SAN FRANCISCO: Despite route changes made to ensure the dignity of the Olympic flame and the safety of torchbearers, the relay ended smoothly on the sixth international stopover Thursday before leaving for Buenos Aires.
The relay set off from China Bay Park but with Tibetan separatists and their supporters threatening to storm the relay, San Francisco police made a swift change in the route and shortened the course by half.
"The decision was made by law enforcement authorities, (and it was) about protecting people's lives," San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom said.

A woman waves flag during the Olympic Torch relay in San Francisco, California April 9, 2008. [sohu.com]
He stressed that "at the end of the day, the torch relay went across this city with dignity, and it was done respectfully and honorably".
Torch carrier Coughlin Natalie, double gold medalist in the Athens Games, said she was not bothered much by the change of the route.
"We learned about the possibility of a route change minutes after we boarded the bus, so it was not a surprise at all," said Natalie, who won five medals in the 2004 Olympic Games, including gold in 100m backstroke and 800m freestyle relay.
"Personally I didn't care about the change of route, there were still large crowds along the new route and the safety of torchbearers was well secured. That's what I think is more important."
Patricia Raybarn, 64, who ran with Paralympian Kortney Clemons, said: "It did not affect my feelings of holding the torch at all, and I saw a lot of people along the street and heard a lot of cheers."
Clemons, 27, who lost his right leg in the Iraq War three years ago, said: "It's terrific to carry the torch. It's different from holding the torch Thursday in the exhibition, and I can feel the heat."
Beijing Olympic Torch Relay spokesperson Qu Yingpu said the relay entourage respects San Francisco's decision to make real-time route changes.
"We thank the people of San Francisco, and in particular, the city's overseas Chinese community, for their support. Many overseas Chinese traveled here from different parts of North America to support the relay; some stood along the planned route in the wind since early Thursday evening.
"Some of them did not get a chance to see the Olympic flame because of the route changes, but we, indeed, feel their passion for China and the Olympics."
According to the Chinese embassy in the United States, an estimated 100,000 Chinese were on the streets to welcome the flame in the city.
A couple of light aircraft carried banners that read "Tibet will always be part of China" and "Go Beijing China, Go Olympics".
Chinese Ambassador to the US Zhou Wenzhong said the relay in San Francisco was "successful" with the enthusiastic reception of the American public, including Chinese Americans and overseas Chinese.
"The Olympics belongs to all, and the Olympic torch carries and spreads the Olympic spirit and advocates peace, friendship, harmony and cooperation," he said in a statement.
In disregard to the spirit of the Olympic Charter, a handful of separatists attempted to disrupt the Games to denigrate China's image. Such actions are doomed to fail, he said.

Comments of the article(total 0)
Print This Article

PHOTO GALLERY

PHOTO COUNTDOWN
MOST VIEWED

OLYMPIAN DATABASE

By Hu Yinan (China Daily)
Updated: 2008-04-11 06:29

SAN FRANCISCO: Despite route changes made to ensure the dignity of the Olympic flame and the safety of torchbearers, the relay ended smoothly on the sixth international stopover Thursday before leaving for Buenos Aires.
The relay set off from China Bay Park but with Tibetan separatists and their supporters threatening to storm the relay, San Francisco police made a swift change in the route and shortened the course by half.
"The decision was made by law enforcement authorities, (and it was) about protecting people's lives," San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom said.

A woman waves flag during the Olympic Torch relay in San Francisco, California April 9, 2008. [sohu.com]
He stressed that "at the end of the day, the torch relay went across this city with dignity, and it was done respectfully and honorably".
Torch carrier Coughlin Natalie, double gold medalist in the Athens Games, said she was not bothered much by the change of the route.
"We learned about the possibility of a route change minutes after we boarded the bus, so it was not a surprise at all," said Natalie, who won five medals in the 2004 Olympic Games, including gold in 100m backstroke and 800m freestyle relay.
"Personally I didn't care about the change of route, there were still large crowds along the new route and the safety of torchbearers was well secured. That's what I think is more important."
Patricia Raybarn, 64, who ran with Paralympian Kortney Clemons, said: "It did not affect my feelings of holding the torch at all, and I saw a lot of people along the street and heard a lot of cheers."
Clemons, 27, who lost his right leg in the Iraq War three years ago, said: "It's terrific to carry the torch. It's different from holding the torch Thursday in the exhibition, and I can feel the heat."
Beijing Olympic Torch Relay spokesperson Qu Yingpu said the relay entourage respects San Francisco's decision to make real-time route changes.
"We thank the people of San Francisco, and in particular, the city's overseas Chinese community, for their support. Many overseas Chinese traveled here from different parts of North America to support the relay; some stood along the planned route in the wind since early Thursday evening.
"Some of them did not get a chance to see the Olympic flame because of the route changes, but we, indeed, feel their passion for China and the Olympics."
According to the Chinese embassy in the United States, an estimated 100,000 Chinese were on the streets to welcome the flame in the city.
A couple of light aircraft carried banners that read "Tibet will always be part of China" and "Go Beijing China, Go Olympics".
Chinese Ambassador to the US Zhou Wenzhong said the relay in San Francisco was "successful" with the enthusiastic reception of the American public, including Chinese Americans and overseas Chinese.
"The Olympics belongs to all, and the Olympic torch carries and spreads the Olympic spirit and advocates peace, friendship, harmony and cooperation," he said in a statement.
In disregard to the spirit of the Olympic Charter, a handful of separatists attempted to disrupt the Games to denigrate China's image. Such actions are doomed to fail, he said.

Comments of the article(total 0)
Print This Article

PHOTO GALLERY

PHOTO COUNTDOWN
MOST VIEWED

OLYMPIAN DATABASE

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
I think the west will do everything it can to screw the Chinese out of a good time with the olympics and embarrass them which is so obviously thier intention.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
I think the west will do everything it can to screw the Chinese out of a good time with the olympics and embarrass them which is so obviously thier intention
.....and it is going to hit them back eventually .

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Quoting china .....and it is going to hit them back eventually .
Uh huh, hit us back with what? More spies, or more poison cat food and children's toys?

No, it is your ignorance and stupidity (eg. not being able to understand the post before answering it) that is going to get you , from within.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
I think the west will do everything it can to screw the Chinese out of a good time with the olympics and embarrass them which is so obviously thier intention.
--------------------------------------China----------------------------------------------------------

Actually, they (China) have enough problems on their own. I don't think the West has to do a thing.