200 lashes for Canadian youth!!

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007

Canadian teen charged in Saudi death sentenced to year in jail, 200 lashes

MONTREAL - A Canadian teen charged in Saudi Arabia after a man died in a schoolyard rumble has been sentenced to one year in prison and 200 lashes, a family friend said Saturday.
Sultan Kohail, 17, was read his sentence before a Saudi youth court, Mahmoud Al-Ken said in an interview.

"Definitely it's a lot better than the death sentence that they were afraid of having," Al-Ken said.

Prosecutors had been seeking the death penalty.

The boy's father, Ali Kohail, told The Associated Press that the sentence is being appealed to both the court and the king of Saudi Arabia. The family wants the sentence commuted to time served, since the defendant had already spent eight months in custody.

"We've appealed to the court and within 30 days we will also present a solicitation to the king to pardon Sultan for the remaining four months of imprisonment," said Kohail's father. "God willing, he will be pardoned and released, as well as his brother."

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2...041141-cp.html

Older brother Mohamed is sentenced to death by public beheading!!:roll:

Mohamed Kohail, 23, was arrested in January 2007 after an altercation left one person dead in Saudi Arabia. (HO)
------------------------------------------------------------------
The sentences seem totally unfair and excessive to me. The boys didn't kill with intent. A bunch of young roosters who couldn't walk away from a fight, that's how I see it from the report!!
The Saudis need to urgently overhaul their justice system and bring it into the civilized realm! They are also, along with the US and Israel, among others, a country that tortures!!! (William Sampson's story)

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
There could be all kinds of reasons for being in Saudi Arabia. Once you're in somone elses nation, the laws and jurisprudence of that nation apply to your behavior and conduct. We may regard this a harsh or we may decide that execution is an appropriate sentence, but the 'moral issue' isn't ours to change or determine because the King of Saudi Arabia has that final determination. And you should know and remember that when you live in someone else's country.

Reactions: CDNBear

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
There could be all kinds of reasons for being in Saudi Arabia. Once you're in somone elses nation, the laws and jurisprudence of that nation apply to your behavior and conduct. We may regard this a harsh or we may decide that execution is an appropriate sentence, but the 'moral issue' isn't ours to change or determine because the King of Saudi Arabia has that final determination. And you should know and remember that when you live in someone else's country.
Mikey, that's easier said than done for young boys. I read they are originally from Palestine, hence perhaps used to plenty of violence and defending themselves.
Somehow I'm confident the beheading will be commuted into jail time with lashes. The Canadian government is already involved.
The Canadian government has said it will seek clemency for Mohamed Kohail after a directive from Prime Minister Stephen Harper.
Funny, why does our government not step up to the US on behalf of Omar Khadr??? How is that different?

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Dancing _Loon

When a Canadian or an American purchases young boys and young girls in Thailand and they're caught and sentenced to whatever the system in that nation determines as appropriate for that crime, would the rationale that they're from Canada or America where young people sell themselves on the streets because the "great people" of Canada and America turn their backs on them when they have a substance abuse issue or when their raised in abusive dysfunctional "homes"...cut any ice with the justice system in Thailand?

We can't have it both ways....despite what America demonstrates to the world... If you break the law of another nation and your home-nation can't afford to invade...you're stuck with the consequences of your behavior. If you trump up lies about the "potential" danger of your neighbor, does this give you the right to kill the men women and children who live next door? If "International Law" isn't binding when it comes to the United States and Israel then why should it be "binding" when something happens that the U.S. or Israel wants something...?

Promulgating the "double-message"...the hypocrisy of states serves to legitimize lawlessness and anarchy and how much "faith" ought we to have in nations that talk out of the sides of their mouths when the situation "demands" something in their interests?

The point is that you are in someone else's country. You live by the laws of that country or go home!

Excuses are something that America and Israel think re-shape fact and reality, that's not a strategy that works when it comes to standing in the docket of a foreign nation as an individual.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I wonder how much it cost to have the sentence reduced from the death penalty?

http://tinyurl.com/58pyg9

JEDDAH — Blood, sweat and tears. That is how people have made millions. A new way to make millions — without sweat and tears — that has come to light in Saudi Arabia is pardoning killers in murder cases, according to the Arabic daily Al Watan.

The daily reported recently that pardoning killers has become a multimillion-riyal business. "Profit is now the motive of forgiveness," it added. "It is called blood money, and the families of some victims are cashing in, demanding sums beyond the reach of all but the very rich," it explained.

Last year alone, more than SR40 million was paid to pardon eight people.

Sources say there are even some cases in which families have publicly announced a killer being pardoned for the sake of God, but in reality a large sum had been paid to them under the table with silence about the payment being one of the conditions for forgiveness. As the practice has almost become a kind of legal extortion that can bankrupt low- and middle-income families, people now are calling for the Majlis-e-Shoura (Consultative Council) to intervene and issue new Shariah-compliant laws to regulate it.JEDDAH — Blood, sweat and tears. That is how people have made millions. A new way to make millions — without sweat and tears — that has come to light in Saudi Arabia is pardoning killers in murder cases, according to the Arabic daily Al Watan.

The daily reported recently that pardoning killers has become a multimillion-riyal business. "Profit is now the motive of forgiveness," it added. "It is called blood money, and the families of some victims are cashing in, demanding sums beyond the reach of all but the very rich," it explained.

Last year alone, more than SR40 million was paid to pardon eight people.

Sources say there are even some cases in which families have publicly announced a killer being pardoned for the sake of God, but in reality a large sum had been paid to them under the table with silence about the payment being one of the conditions for forgiveness. As the practice has almost become a kind of legal extortion that can bankrupt low- and middle-income families, people now are calling for the Majlis-e-Shoura (Consultative Council) to intervene and issue new Shariah-compliant laws to regulate it.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
That's another whole new aspect, Juan!!!It makes me think that the judges are probably in on the racket and make their sentences extra hard or deadly. The family of the victim will be awarded an extra liberal amount, so they can "donate" half or more of it to the judge. Blood money will be high in the case of these two boys, I'm sure. Now I know why the sentences are so unfair and cruel - they are creating a situation of utter despair for the parents, who then are willing to pay any amount of "blood money". And to know, this has nothing to do with the faith of Islam, makes it all the more vile!!!

Juan, this world is too corrupt for me! I'm leaving the scene.

Last edited:

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Juan

What's left unsaid in the opening line of that piece you contributed was that it's the blood sweat and tears of the peons that work for the wealthy...not the wealthy who are shedding their bodily fluids!

A slave-master In Bangladesh cracking the whip over women and children working in sweatshops making designer knock-offs for American corporations might sweat a little, but he fat-cat Amercans sucking in the millions only sweat on the golf-course or the yacht...

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
I wondered if Mikey would be able to turn a post about a Canadian ruffian misbehaving into an Anti-American rant...

He didn't dissapoint! :lol:

But he can't be blamed I guess. The OP also steered the discussion away from Canadians behaving Badly.

Flame away boys!

Why don't the Mods just do a word search and consolidate all the evil US posts? It really doesn't matter that they might all be different topics, it always devolves into the same thing.

Why not just make an entire subforum about it? That way new people and CanCon vets alike wouldn't have to search for the one or two posts on the front page that aren't about the US.

Seems like much of Canada's content is the United States. It is sweet irony that Canadian Content is in red white and blue up there at top.:smile:

Most forum users do a search to see if there is already a thread started about a potential subject. Don't see alot of that happening around here.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006

You mean like how we allow female Saudi nationals to wear their veils in photo ID?

We walk the walk about including the cultures of others , we can sure as hell put pressure on other cultures to respect ours.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I wondered if Mikey would be able to turn a post about a Canadian ruffian misbehaving into an Anti-American rant...

He didn't dissapoint! :lol:

But he can't be blamed I guess. The OP also steered the discussion away from Canadians behaving Badly.

Flame away boys!

Why don't the Mods just do a word search and consolidate all the evil US posts? It really doesn't matter that they might all be different topics, it always devolves into the same thing.

Why not just make an entire subforum about it? That way new people and CanCon vets alike wouldn't have to search for the one or two posts on the front page that aren't about the US.

Seems like much of Canada's content is the United States. It is sweet irony that Canadian Content is in red white and blue up there at top.:smile:

Most forum users do a search to see if there is already a thread started about a potential subject. Don't see alot of that happening around here.

Thomaska
Right now there are sixteen topics on the "front page", and only three, maybe four have anything, directly, to do with the U.S.
Your president just happens to be one of the most unpopular men in the world right now, and that is seen to be your fault because you've elected him not once but twice so you must agree with what he's doing. Sorry, but you have to take a bit of flak for your leader.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Maybe the boys should have played nice instead of fighting in a country with medieval beliefs and punishments. I'd rather be beheaded than have 200 lashes. 200 lashes will probably kill you, but very slowly.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Maybe the boys should have played nice instead of fighting in a country with medieval beliefs and punishments. I'd rather be beheaded than have 200 lashes. 200 lashes will probably kill you, but very slowly.

That is probably why he also got the year in jail. They will likely give him the lashes in twenty lash increments every month.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007

He didn't disappoint! :lol:

Flame away boys!

Most forum users do a search to see if there is already a thread started about a potential subject. Don't see a lot of that happening around here.
Thomas; must you have things in drawers, nicely organized by subjects, preferably in colored folders? What is that illness called? I can't get the word right now.
Anyway, in a discussion people tend to mention this or that related to the topic at hand. The next person joins and reads the last post and also has an opinion perhaps now related to the first related topic. It's natural! And natural is always good. Relax, dear, we are like children, and isn't that wonderful?
That America in your opinion gets too much attention is silly. Look, how big America is, and it is spread out all over the world!! Naturally it gets more attention from us debaters! Then it is also our neighbor, and you know how it is with neighbors, whether they are the Smiths, the Browns or the Americans.. we like to talk about them, and not just the good stuff, we look for their dirty laundry mainly.... it's so natural, Thomas, come and join us!!;-):lol:

You complain we shouldn't always start a new thread about something of which already a thread exists. I just tried that this afternoon. I came with an article in my mouse, I searched under Can. Pol. and found a similar thread, I checked it out, it had ended with something very similar as what we will have here in a minute, once I shut up.... nothing but bickering and shin-kicking. So, I started afresh! That was my natural reaction!:lol::lol:

And now, dear Thomas, relax, go with the flow, don't tell the Mods what to do and how... they too, seem to like it the natural way, they drift with the flow.

Have nice relaxed evening.;-)

Loon

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Only one year in the big house and just 200 lashes?

Geez, those Saudi judges have become a bunch of bleeing heart liberals. The sentence should be overruled and made more severe.

BRING ON THE HANGMAN!!!

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
How the west was won.

Canadians watching “their” national broadcaster...CBC are entertained by updates on the Obama/Clinton/McCain Follies….

Usually there’s a story/article about how the good times are unfolding in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Frequently (far too frequently) we’re entertained with Israeli/Jewish perspectives on the evils of the Arabic nations and the Palestinians.

On a lighter note, we watch and listen to dire predictions about the American economy (No Virginia it’s not a recession!) and how the price of gasoline is climbing at Canadian gas pumps while American petrochemical industries log their largest profits in the history of business.

Occasionally (far too occasionally) our spirits are treated to the latest news about a payoff from the Conservatives to an independent parliamentarian for his vote or exciting details of the latest Liberal rip-off scam that’s come to light.

One in every four “news items” is if not directly focused on “America” its something that is or has been generated out of the “special relationship” between Canada and our “good trading partners” to the south.

No one in this forum is more critical of America and everything it stands for than I. Is this because I’ve a personal axe to grind with America and its corrupt government? Yes it is, because while it’s “amusing” to play the “ignore the elephant in the room” game, the United States of America has more to do with damn near everything that’s happening and coincidentally WRONG in the world.

Am I prejudiced and bias in my opinion and views of American foreign policy and domestic machinations of greed with its subtle dismissiveness of first the legacy of African American slavery’s mark on the American cultural psyche…and lately their penchant for calling the greed of American corporations and business’s practices of hiring illegals as “evidence” of a “plot” to take American jobs away from good decent Americans (who are doing the hiring and keeping the policies of indentured slavery alive in America) as something generated out of Mexico…..

Americans would have us put all these issues “behind us”…forget about it…(with a New Jersey accent)….

Let’s pretend that Americans are suffering for the unconscionably unfair trade practices of Canadian businesses and government…

Let’s pretend that the nasty mean old Arabs are behind the price of gasoline at Canadian gas pumps. “See it’s true those rag heads are fundamentally evil and driving up the price of oil while undermining the “freedoms” of Canadians as part of their plan for world domination!”

Let’s pretend that the political dynamic in America doesn’t have a direct influence on what happens in this country. That American foreign policy that results in our troops being in Afghanistan and “exchange” troops in Iraq hasn’t directly impacted Canadian families from one end of the country to the other.

Let’s pretend that America hasn’t distorted and thrown out international agreements and has demonstrated a willingness to forego inconvenient precepts like the Geneva Conventions and “trade” managed under an “agreement” called NAFTA.

Let’s pretend that Canada isn’t just the dumb country-cousin of American politics and economics…as the result of a union between our political structure that like the American model puts money ahead of the well-being of its citizens when the wealthy elite are on a killing spree (in the name of altruism and “goodness” of course) we’re obligated under some “duty” to march to an American drumbeat….

Well OK then, if we can manage to “pretend” all this is “true” or “realistic” then I suppose the non-reality of other issues emerging from the penchant American business has for trading with its sworn enemy (Reagan and Iran Contra), when that’s convenient…. for practicing political and economic blackmail on nations around the world (while building the famous “coalition of the willing”….and practicing regime-change and supporting terrorists (revolutionaries) in nations all over the world can be pretended-away as well.

How the west was won….by rejecting reality for the “Let’s pretend” of American hubris and arrogance.

Got it!

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Mikey, that's easier said than done for young boys. I read they are originally from Palestine, hence perhaps used to plenty of violence and defending themselves.
Somehow I'm confident the beheading will be commuted into jail time with lashes. The Canadian government is already involved.

Well I guess all is well in hand now! :lol:

Funny, why does our government not step up to the US on behalf of Omar Khadr??? How is that different?

Because he is a terrorist?

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
You know, I'll have to check if its been disallowed, I believe its never actually been disallowed. Most US states also allow veiled photos, those that don't usually go through court challenges.