US - Cuba revenge.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Jury in Florida awards nearly $253M to kids of Castro foe who died in Cuban jail

MIAMI - A Florida jury awarded nearly $253 million to the children of a former friend of Fidel Castro who they said was tortured and killed in jail more than three decades ago.
It was a verdict one juror said was meant as a political message.
The son and daughter of Rafael del Pino Siero, captured while trying to help a Cuban escape the country in 1959, expressed amazement at the award, which was five times more than what they had sought.
"I was flabbergasted," Rafael Del Pino Jr. said. "I kept thinking why did they give us so much more?"

"Basically, all of us decided that we all wanted to send a message to the world that countries don't mess around with U.S. citizens," said Thomas Crews, one of six jurors.
A 1996 U.S. law allows victims of terrorist groups or countries that are designated as state sponsors of terrorism to sue for damages.
Del Pino was among Castro's friends at the University of Havana, but the family said the two had a falling-out. Del Pino flew back to the island in July 1959 on a rescue mission but was captured and sentenced to 30 years in a Cuban prison.
He died in captivity in 1977. The Cuban government said he hanged himself.
full article here:

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2008/04/05/5204786-ap.html
-----------------------------------------------------
Perhaps in another 30 years the US will have to cough of trillions for all the people they maimed and killed wrongly! What's good for the goose should be good for the gander, too!!

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
That is the stupidest law I have ever heard of. Honestly, why don't they just say, "We own the world, our laws apply everywhere." Did the person being sued even have the opportunity to defend themself? I doubt it, given the ridiculousness of being sued in another country that should have no jurisdiction on your actions, why would you ever show up?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
So this money is going to come from where? I'm confused. The money is being awarded by an American jury on behalf of American victims but.......who pays?

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
When will America start paying for the illegal invaision of another nation? Don't tell me they're "rebuilding" that country, they destroyed it!

If you took all the damage that Fidel Castro is accused of being responsible for and stacked it next to what the great United States of America has done over the same period throughout the world....who does anyone think might be the more guilty?

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
When will America start paying for the illegal invaision of another nation? Don't tell me they're "rebuilding" that country, they destroyed it!

If you took all the damage that Fidel Castro is accused of being responsible for and stacked it next to what the great United States of America has done over the same period throughout the world....who does anyone think might be the more guilty?
Hi, Mikey;
there is a German saying that translates like this: We only see the splinter in the other person's eye, but not the 2 x 4 in our own!!!:lol:

We all know Fidel has been a thorn in the American eye for decades!!

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

You must be running out of material to even begin using a "scale of morality". The last "bastion" of desperation. So to you, an oppressive 50 year rule is magically "washed away" because some other entity across the globe wreaks havoc.

Sincerely, I pity you and your "intellectual and moral" prowess.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Does this mean that the families of the millions of victims of American bombing in VietNam, Cambodia, and Laos can sue for damages? How about those poisoned by Americans with Agent Orange? Must be a different set of rules.......:roll:

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
So this money is going to come from where? I'm confused. The money is being awarded by an American jury on behalf of American victims but.......who pays?
Hi, Sal;
the Cuban government is supposed to pay! If it will is another question.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Does this mean that the families of the millions of victims of American bombing in VietNam, Cambodia, and Laos can sue for damages? How about those poisoned by Americans with Agent Orange? Must be a different set of rules.......:roll:
Juan, that is certainly what it means. That is my interpretation as well. BUT... I've read about the Canadian, Arar, suing the United States of America, and he hasn't gotten anywhere yet.
Wasn't Italy also suing the CIA for something? Nothing came of it. All the innocent detainees could sue the States. The survivors of Abu Ghraib torture by the Americans should sue.

Perhaps the over-zealous Americans shot themselves in the foot, and opened the door for other nationals to sue them in return!!! Dumb as they are, they likely didn't think of that.:lol:

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
No ITN and his ilk are more than prepared to ignore the havoc wrought all over the world by greedy Americans. It's far easier and less injurious to the ego and conscience to paint Fidel a bad-guy than it is to admit to the likes of Suharto and Pinochet...Noriega and all the "revolutionaries" financed by America. Rember, Americans are greedy first and "moral" somewhere far far down the road.

Unless there's a resource or a market or some "advantage" to an American corporation, "morality" will always take a back seat. It's ludicrous to entertain the notion of morality in a nation still wrestling with its policies of slavery and disenfranchisement of minorities. It's a waste of time to expect an American to admit to lies and fraud when it comes to their wars and their invaisions.... Much simpler to point at "bad-guys" that aren't really anymore guilty of doing anything that America hasn't supported in many different regions around the world.

Americans can't tell the truth or acknowledge their guilt because they wouldn't recognize either if they tripped over them on the way to the bank....