Iraq: 1000 Iraqi soldiers quit!

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
More Than 1,000 in Iraq’s Forces Quit Basra Fight

BAGHDAD — More than 1,000 Iraqi soldiers and policemen either refused to fight or simply abandoned their posts during the inconclusive assault against Shiite militias in Basra last week, a senior Iraqi government official said Thursday. Iraqi military officials said the group included dozens of officers, including at least two senior field commanders in the battle.

Would be good to read whole article here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/04/wo...hp&oref=slogin
-----------------------------------------------------------------
good for them, I say! They should all put down their weapons! What nonsense, to fight each other,... only has the third party laughing!!!

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
The United States is a capitalist nation you'd think they'd clue in that even Iraqis should be paid as much as civilian "security contractors".....

I'm pleased that so much progress is being made in Iraq....

John McCain is our man! He's got his finger on the pulse of what's happening!

Oh sorry that's more than likely some womans pulse he's taking....(it's the American way) ;)

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
More Than 1,000 in Iraq’s Forces Quit Basra Fight

BAGHDAD — More than 1,000 Iraqi soldiers and policemen either refused to fight or simply abandoned their posts during the inconclusive assault against Shiite militias in Basra last week, a senior Iraqi government official said Thursday. Iraqi military officials said the group included dozens of officers, including at least two senior field commanders in the battle.

Would be good to read whole article here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/04/wo...hp&oref=slogin
-----------------------------------------------------------------
good for them, I say! They should all put down their weapons! What nonsense, to fight each other,... only has the third party laughing!!!

The soldiers of Iraq should put down their weapons? Have you lost it Loon?

Who is to protect the country after Uncle Sam leaves? Would you prefer anarchy just reigns as the de facto rule of law? Have the border guards quite as well?

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Durka

I'm surprised!

I never would have anticipated that you'd be someone blaming Iraqis for the mess created by America. We wouldn't be talking about Iraq and Iraqis at all if it weren't for America's illegal invaision of that nation. There wouldn't be any crying about "When will the Iraqi government stand up to the challenge of bringing peace to the streets of Iraq?"

Chances are these people would have electricity and water, maybe even sewage systems and schools...who knows? But the fact it that American arrogance has destroyed this nation and the factions that were under the control of an iron-fisted dictator are now unleashed in the name of Ameriacan "regime-change". I'm amazed that you think it appropriate that fault and responsibility be lain at the feet of the Iraqi people when America and Americans are actually responsible.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Durka

I'm surprised!

I never would have anticipated that you'd be someone blaming Iraqis for the mess created by America. We wouldn't be talking about Iraq and Iraqis at all if it weren't for America's illegal invaision of that nation. There wouldn't be any crying about "When will the Iraqi government stand up to the challenge of bringing peace to the streets of Iraq?"

Chances are these people would have electricity and water, maybe even sewage systems and schools...who knows? But the fact it that American arrogance has destroyed this nation and the factions that were under the control of an iron-fisted dictator are now unleashed in the name of Ameriacan "regime-change". I'm amazed that you think it appropriate that fault and responsibility be lain at the feet of the Iraqi people when America and Americans are actually responsible.

I'm not blaming the Iraqi's for anything Mikey, but to suggest that the soldiers of the country should quit, is mad. I agree this mess wouldn't exist if not for the war, but the Iraqi's will have to take over the job of security as some point, else they will have some never ending, unfortunate times.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
The soldiers of Iraq should put down their weapons? Have you lost it Loon?

Who is to protect the country after Uncle Sam leaves? Would you prefer anarchy just reigns as the de facto rule of law? Have the border guards quite as well?
I see, you had your whole head in the washing machine!!:lol:

Reactions: DurkaDurka

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I'm not blaming the Iraqi's for anything Mikey, but to suggest that the soldiers of the country should quit, is mad. I agree this mess wouldn't exist if not for the war, but the Iraqi's will have to take over the job of security as some point, else they will have some never ending, unfortunate times.

Sure, Iraqi soldiers and police should take over Iraqi security. That's their duty.

But its not their duty to defend American or foreign interests in Iraq except so far as it serves to maintain security and eliminate anarchy. Iraqi soldiers and police have a duty to defend their country, not take the side of foreigners against Iraqis. From an Iraqi viewpoint, al Sadr is an Iraqi leader. Eliminating al Sadr would create a power vacuum that would probable not serve anyone's best interest. His replacement(s) would likely be meaner and less able to control Iraqi militias.

Basra isn't isn't an example of Iraqi police/soldier taking over security. Its more an example of being used to defend US/foreign interests.

Iraqis who fight on behalf of US/foreigner interests risk far more than the foreign soldiers. If the US alliance looses this war, foreign soldiers will leave and forget Iraq. Meanwhile Iraqis who fought for US foreign/interests will be left behind and face the consequences, which could be severe.

If Americans and other foreigners want to defeat anti-US forces in Iraq with Iraqis, they shouldn't call them the Iraqi military and police. That would give those professions a bad name.

If Iraqis want to help foreigners, that they can make that choice, but its not their duty. Also soldiers and police are not cowards if they refuse to fight on behalf of the US and foreigners. I'd say that's their choice.

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007
The U.S. may leave the cities, but they sure as hell won't leave the oilfields unguarded.
imagine the purging oil price.
What's next, $200 a barrel?
Give me a break...by the time I get to drive, I better walk..
My gas per week would cost me more than the insurance per month..
my gosh...

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Sure, Iraqi soldiers and police should take over Iraqi security. That's their duty.

But its not their duty to defend American or foreign interests in Iraq except so far as it serves to maintain security and eliminate anarchy. Iraqi soldiers and police have a duty to defend their country, not take the side of foreigners against Iraqis. From an Iraqi viewpoint, al Sadr is an Iraqi leader. Eliminating al Sadr would create a power vacuum that would probable not serve anyone's best interest. His replacement(s) would likely be meaner and less able to control Iraqi militias.

Basra isn't isn't an example of Iraqi police/soldier taking over security. Its more an example of being used to defend US/foreign interests.

Iraqis who fight on behalf of US/foreigner interests risk far more than the foreign soldiers. If the US alliance looses this war, foreign soldiers will leave and forget Iraq. Meanwhile Iraqis who fought for US foreign/interests will be left behind and face the consequences, which could be severe.

If Americans and other foreigners want to defeat anti-US forces in Iraq with Iraqis, they shouldn't call them the Iraqi military and police. That would give those professions a bad name.

If Iraqis want to help foreigners, that they can make that choice, but its not their duty. Also soldiers and police are not cowards if they refuse to fight on behalf of the US and foreigners. I'd say that's their choice.

Earth, I am not suggesting that iraqi's should be protecting US or other international interests. Factions of all different stripes are active in Iraq, who they decide to take action against is their decision..

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I wouldn't feel smug. What's going on in the US could have happen here. If Harper had a majority when Bush was shopping for allies against Iraq, Canada would be just as screwed.

Canada has close ties to the US and as a result what affects Americans, to some degree affects Canadians.