Olympics ban to be considered .

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
[SIZE=+1]Olympics ban to be considered by U.S. lawmakers[/SIZE]
China National News
Tuesday 1st April, 2008

President George Bush may not be able to attend the opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympic games if a bill is accepted in the U.S. House of Representatives.

The bill seeks to prohibit President Bush and Federal government officials and employees from attending the opening ceremony in Beijing.

According to a copy of the bill, being introduced by a member of Mr Bush's Republican party, Thaddeus McCotter, Chairman of the House policy committee, the prohibition is intended as a protest against the 'brutalising of protesters in Tibet'.

The bill is also intended as a rebuke to Beijing for 'supporting and enabling Sudan's genocidal regime, forcing a one child policy upon Chinese families, persecuting Chinese citizens for freely exercising religion, repressing free and independent labour unions, engaging in wanton environmental degradation, and systematically denying the Chinese people their basic freedoms.'

Mr Bush is planning to attend the Olympic Games in Beijing in August despite calls for world leaders to boycott the opening ceremony in protest at the Chinese government's crackdown on demonstrations against its rule in Tibet.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel has said she will not attend the ceremony, and French President Nicolas Sarkozy has not ruled out a boycott.

Poland's Prime Minister Donald Tusk was the first European Union leader to announce a boycott of the opening ceremony.

His announcement was followed by a similar decision by Czech President Vaclav Klaus.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
"The bill seeks to prohibit President Bush and Federal government officials and employees from attending the opening ceremony in Beijing."

What the hell ever happened to Freedom of Choice? If I want to go, or if Bush wants to go, they should have every damn right to go.

What a bunch of blow-hards.... how about they introduce a bill that forces these idiots in their government to do some actual work and stop wasting tax payer's dollars on stupid things like this? Seriously, what do they expect to happen from this if it passed? China's just gonna go "Oh, well maybe we should finally change our ways."

Unless you know or explain the outcome you expect from introducing stupid bills like this, they shouldn't even be introduced in the first place.

What is the end goal for introducing this bill?

Um... to express our protest over their actions....

Ok.... that's already being done by countless other organizations and groups around the world, what is different about this bill compared to the other things going on already?

Um..... it'll not allow our politicians to attend by their own free will that they were born with.

Ok.... isn't that sort of oppressive to their freedom to decide for themselves?

Um... yes....

You're a hypocritical idiot... you're fired!

Last edited:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Bunch of little kids.

I wouldn't be the slightest bit disappointed if Canada boycotted the Olympics entirely. I can't wait to see what will happen when they try to run the Olympic torch through Tibet. Ee should see the Chinese government in all it's brutal glory then.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Screwing up the Olympic games for China was always the plan, that's why China got the games in the first place it was always going to be used to embarass them.

Excuse me?

the Chinese are embarassing THEMSELVES!

Giving them the Olympics was SUCH idiocy on the part of the IOC......much the same as giving them to fascist Germany in 1936.

Except there they did it BEFORE Germany started invading and murdering their neighbours.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I wouldn't be the slightest bit disappointed if Canada boycotted the Olympics entirely. I can't wait to see what will happen when they try to run the Olympic torch through Tibet. Ee should see the Chinese government in all it's brutal glory then.

I remember seeing the cover of the latest issue of Macleans. There was a Tibetan monk running away from a soldier who had a two-handed grip on a large baton that was about to be used on the monk's head. I may be mistaken, but aren't these monks pacifists? Why would they do this to them is beyond me.:-(

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
"The bill seeks to prohibit President Bush and Federal government officials and employees from attending the opening ceremony in Beijing."

What the hell ever happened to Freedom of Choice? If I want to go, or if Bush wants to go, they should have every damn right to go.

What a bunch of blow-hards.... how about they introduce a bill that forces these idiots in their government to do some actual work and stop wasting tax payer's dollars on stupid things like this?

Praxius, do you not smell undertones of the Cuban embargo with this? First you strip away the rights of the politicians to travel there for this. Then you expand it, and remove the rights of any of your people to do business with China. You throw out claims of carbon abuse, human rights abuse, subjogation of a people, etc.

It's not a matter of the politicians not doing their job. They're doing a bang up job of protecting their interests.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Colpy ,

Giving them the Olympics was SUCH idiocy on the part of the IOC......much the same as giving them to fascist Germany in 1936.
Except there they did it BEFORE Germany started invading and murdering their neighbours.
China Tuesday criticized a British newspaper's report that linked the Beijing Olympics with the Berlin Games of 1936, saying the story is an insult to Chinese citizens and to the people of the world.

A report published in the British newspaper the Sunday Times said China is holding the Olympics for the same reason Adolf Hitler did in 1936, as an opportunity to collect accolades.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Qin Gang said the Beijing Olympics is a magnificent sports meeting, and people from all nations have expressed their wishes to use it as an opportunity to enhance global understanding, friendship and cooperation.

"The Olympic torch symbolizes humankind's noble ideals and beautiful aspirations," Qin said.

" It also casts light on the gloomy mentality of some people, which will help the common people see their true face," he said.

"The Beijing Olympic Games must be a success with all the efforts made by the people of the world."

Qin Gang again urged the international community to see the Dalai Lama's "true face" and offer no support for his secessionist activities.

Qin made the remarks in response to US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice's recent call for China to consider a new policy to address the Tibet issue and to start talks with the Dalai Lama.

US House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi also visited the Dalai Lama last week.

Qin said the position of just a few countries did not represent that of the international community.

More than 100 nations have expressed their support and understanding of the Chinese government's attitude to protecting the lives and property of its citizens from violent riots, he said.

Qin said the central government's policy toward the Dalai Lama is consistent and explicit, saying it not only listens to what he says but, more importantly, observes what he does.
I will never read the Times again ( obviously I can buy Times in China ) after all that happened. It is true that China has all kinds of problems, but is China bad enough to be likened to Germany in the Hitler era? China has made great progress both economically and policitally. The people's life have been improved, and the people are also enjoying more and more freedoms.
. Why did many Britions flee to the American continent several hundred years ago? What did the white do to the Indians in the United States? What did the Black suffer from during the process of UK's development?What did the f..... Canadian government do to their countries native people in the name of civilization ,why did Americans experimented with LSD on the Canadian subjects ( I think everybody should knows that Colpy,....daaaahhh) ,

Last edited:

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
China

You must forgive Colpy, he's like so many other people who regard "history" and "life" as something unique to their perceptions and judgment. It doesn't matter what really happened it's enough to keep repeating over and over again...... Just like on the yellow brick road.

The hope is that eventually, the "reality" these folk "believe" will be the reality the rest of the world embraces.....whether that's got anything to do with the truth or not......

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Colpy ,

. Why did many Britions flee to the American continent several hundred years ago? What did the white do to the Indians in the United States? What did the Black suffer from during the process of UK's development?What did the f..... Canadian government do to their countries native people in the name of civilization ,why did Americans experimented with LSD on the Canadian subjects ( I think everybody should knows that Colpy,....daaaahhh) ,

You're right. Keep doing what you're doing. It's all Ok.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
This kind of stuff has been brewing for a while now. The rest of the world doesn't have the political capital to stand up to the international Wal-mart. And China as a world military threat is kind of neutered for now, while they have so much internal strife to deal with. Maybe they're due for another revolution, hard to say.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Colpy ,

that is VERY funny.....so because Blacks were slaves in North America it is all right for China to invade Tibet and murder Buddhist monks?

Or experiments conducted 40 years ago by the CIA in canadian universities on a VERY few people justify the rule of a regime that has, since 1949, murdered more people than any other in all mankinds' bloody history?

Yes, I mean the Chinese Communist Party. Makes Hitler look like a sweet old uncle, and Joe Stalin a crotchety grandpa......

I am SO glad that you are making money in China.....I hope you make enough to buy yourself a new conscience.....the old one doesn't work.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
that is VERY funny.....so because Blacks were slaves in North America it is all right for China to invade Tibet and murder Buddhist monks?
....so it's funny to be a Black slave in North America Copy ,hey ? That's why you like guns so much right ? Moving target practice lately Copy ...?
Or experiments conducted 40 years ago by the CIA in canadian universities on a VERY few people justify the rule of a regime that has, since 1949, murdered more people than any other in all mankinds' bloody history?
Yes, I mean the Chinese Communist Party. Makes Hitler look like a sweet old uncle, and Joe Stalin a crotchety grandpa...
No murder is justified .
Copy , you don,t know Hitler ( who invaded the country of my birth ) , Stalin (who occupied the country of my youth) , and obviously you don't know China (the country of my present residence ) So Copy , I don't think you know very much
what you are saying .
I am SO glad that you are making money in China.....I hope you make enough to buy yourself a new conscience.....the old one doesn't work.
I was going to respond to this line but I've changed my mind Copy .My old conscience is just fine .

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
I think this bill is a tad heavy-handed,the self-righteous wanting to make others toe their line. A boycott may embarass China,but the athletes would suffer the most,not us back here in our lazy-boys swigging malt liquor or sipping spritzers. I would rather see the world teams there carrying the Tibetan flag along with their countries.