US troops in Japan cause trouble??

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
US military 'holds Japan suspect'

The US military in Japan is holding a sailor sought in connection with the murder of a taxi driver, reports say. The Kyodo news agency reports that the man in his 20s was found near the Yokosuka naval base near Tokyo.
A US military spokesman confirmed that a "deserter" had been found, but would not comment further.
Local media said a credit card belonging to a sailor was discovered in the taxi where Masaaki Takahashi, 61, was found with stab wounds in his neck.
There are about 50,000 US personnel in Japan, and the relationship with the local population is often uneasy.
A number of criminal allegations have been made against servicemen in recent years.
Most recently, a US marine was accused of raping a 14-year-old girl. The case triggered protests on the island of Okinawa but was later dropped.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7309169.stm
--------------------------------------------------------------
Besides being a nuisance, what else are they there for?
Aaah, let me guess.... they were invited by the emperor!!!

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
There are US troops stationed all over the world. I was particularly interested about Germany. Here is a link with numbers and explanations

http://www.slate.com/id/2105295/

and here a chart

I didn't know we have US troops here in Canada!! Where are they? And what for?
Does Canada have troops in the US for equal measure??

Maybe Bear with his vast and easy knowledge in this field has answers!

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

US and Canadian personnel man stations in North Bay and Colorado Springs. Canadian troops frequently train with American on warm-weather bases all over the US - and American get to experience arctic chill here. US Air Force fighters ratttle the dishes around Cold Lake/Primrose Lake, and SAC doesn't have to bypass Canadian airspace to get to Alaska.

Woof!

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
We keep a few US troops here just so's we don't get terra-rized by terra-rists.

:glasses11:<<<<---such as Achmed El Kaboom here.

Or his brother, Percy El Kaboom>>>>>>>>>>>:santa:(in disguys eh)

Just so's ya know.

:glasses7: CSIS says so.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
US and Canadian personnel man stations in North Bay and Colorado Springs. Canadian troops frequently train with American on warm-weather bases all over the US - and American get to experience arctic chill here. US Air Force fighters ratttle the dishes around Cold Lake/Primrose Lake, and SAC doesn't have to bypass Canadian airspace to get to Alaska.

Woof!
Thank you, Wolf, for your informative answer. I have trouble with the abbreviation SAC; I checked with google....I guess it would be #4... Strategic Air Command?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
There are US troops stationed all over the world. I was particularly interested about Germany. Here is a link with numbers and explanations

http://www.slate.com/id/2105295/

and here a chart

I live in New Brunswick. Gagetown, a few dozen klicks up the road, is one of the largest military bases in North America. You often see convoys of US troops heading down the highway to or from the camp. They train there........as do Brits and others.........