The ugly truth in Afghanistan

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
The ugly truth in Afghanistan
From Saturday's Globe and Mail March 1, 2008 at 12:28 AM

KABUL AND WASHINGTON — When managers from all the major humanitarian agencies in Kandahar gathered in a high-walled compound to swap war stories last month, it wasn't the tales of kidnappings and suicide bombs that caused the most worry. Nor was it the reports of insurgents enforcing their own brutal laws and executing aid workers.

"The scary thing was, no foreigners attended the meeting," a participant said. "Everybody had evacuated."

Most aid organizations quietly withdrew their international staff from Kandahar in recent weeks, the latest sign that the situation here is getting worse.

At least the foreigners can escape. For many ordinary people the ramshackle city now feels like a prison, with the highways out of town regularly blocked by Taliban or bandits.
Corrupt police prowl the intersections, enforcing a curfew for anybody without that night's password, or bribe money.

The North Atlantic Treaty Organization says insurgent attacks increased 64 per cent from 2006 to 2007.

Almost everybody involved with Afghanistan is taking a hard look at the country's future, even as Canada's Parliament takes stock of its role in the war.

"Make no mistake, NATO is not winning in Afghanistan," concluded the Atlantic Council of the United States, a prestigious American think tank that deals with international affairs.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Please, follow the link to the complete in-depth story. There are 4 pages!
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/

My only comment at the moment is...let's get out of there!!! We only load more and more responsibility on ourselves! Next thing we know we'll be blamed for having started the damn war!!
The Americans cooked the soup, now let them eat it, too!:x

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
No, not always, Bear. Sometimes it is wiser to throw in the towel. I'm thinking back to Germany in the 2WW. We fought until there was no room to fight anymore. We should have given up earlier, and could have saved millions of lives and wouldn't have had a Germany in ashes!

It is not always a sign of heroism and bravery to fight on and on - it is just as often unreasonableness and plain old stupidity and utter disregard for human life.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
No, not always, Bear. Sometimes it is wiser to throw in the towel. I'm thinking back to Germany in the 2WW. We fought until there was no room to fight anymore. We should have given up earlier, and could have saved millions of lives and wouldn't have had a Germany in ashes!

It is not always a sign of heroism and bravery to fight on and on - it is just as often unreasonableness and plain old stupidity and utter disregard for human life.
Actually, I was more worried about the nation falling completely apart, upon our egress.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
We won't be leaving anytime soon Bear. We'll be there till the opium has the infrastructure it needs to survive. The Afghan poppy deserves the oportunity to grow and prosper in freedom. We are making progress though because we expect a crop 30 to 35% bigger than last year. I wonder what the medals look like for that feat of heroic sacrifice?

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
I don't understand what we're still doing there. We helped retaliate for 9/11 and the Americans let bin Laden escape. Why are we still there? What is the benefit?

I think we should give the Afghanis back their country, their freedom and come home.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
We are giving them back their country.

Part of the problem is this odd view that we are the only foreign army there. The difference is we don't want to stay and want the Afghans to run their own affairs.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I don't understand what we're still doing there. We helped retaliate for 9/11 and the Americans let bin Laden escape. Why are we still there? What is the benefit?

I think we should give the Afghanis back their country, their freedom and come home.

The Afghans had no freedom. The Taliban, supported by Islamo-fascists from outside the country, ruled with an iron fist.

The Taliban ruled the country as if it were the year 1000, not the year 2000. More to the point, they allowed it to become a training and staging area for acts of terrorism around the world..........that CAN NOT be allowed to happen again.

FULL STOP.

If NATO leaves Afghaninstan, the Islamist network from around the world will send fighters there to overthrow the current government, and it WILL happen. Then the training camps go up, with one BIG difference......Canada will be at the top of their list of targets.......

You can not appease a crocodile. Kill it. Whatever it takes.

The West needs to stand. Our civilization is busily committing suicide by jamming it's head up it's own arse and engaging in self-doubting navel-gazing from the INSIDE! It is disconcerting, to say the least..........

We lost 77 soldiers in about 7 years in Afghanistan, and we are about to run away.........our nation, with less than one half the population, lost 706 soldiers at Dieppe in about 7 HOURS, not counting the 2000 captured, with no after-thought of cut and run....

And Nazi Germany was no immediate threat to us.....

I am sickened at how weak, how ineffective, how insecure in herself Canada has become......

Reactions: CDNBear

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

This is a good answer though I think Bin Laden has probably been quietly rotting under a pile of rocks somewhere in Afghanistan for a few years now. Is there anyone in that country who would turn down the tens of millions they could get for him or his identifiable body?

Country? Freedom? Why does nobody mention the bloody pipeline?

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa

Actually, an attack on one of our greatest allies is the reason behind the war in Afghanistan.

Why is that so hard to get?

Perhaps you need a reminder of how obvious it actually is.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Actually, an attack on one of our greatest allies is the reason behind the war in Afghanistan.

Nice demolition picture, never saw the false flag Mossad operation from that angle.

Avri quote
"Actually, an attack on one of our greatest allies is the reason behind the war in Afghanistan.

"

Greatest allies eh, they've been sucking the guts out of us since day one. They're thieves, liars and murderers oh and the stupiest per capita on the planet. The only obvious thing about your picture is that it's a building being demolished by contractors.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Nice demolition picture, never saw the false flag Mossad operation from that angle.

Avri quote
"Actually, an attack on one of our greatest allies is the reason behind the war in Afghanistan.

Perhaps you need a reminder of how obvious it actually is."

Greatest allies eh, they've been sucking the guts out of us since day one. They're thieves, liars and murderers oh and the stupiest per capita on the planet. The only obvious thing about your picture is that it's a building being demolished by contractors.

The paranoid-delusional fantasy that theWTC was brought down by controled demolition has been soooo thoroughly debunked that a 5 year old child could understand it.

But you can't seem to get a grasp.

Why not?

Time to give up the dope....beforeyour drug-induced psychosis becomes permanent and irrepairable.

And BTW, the Americans will only become on average the stupidest people on the planet when you move south of the border......that should knock their national IQ down a few points.......

Last edited:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

Avri quote

What has an American done to you? Has he kept you from living the high life like they do in the Sudan or wherever it is you wish it were like? Or it just the third hand stories on the conspiracy blogs that keeps your hatred revved?

Reactions: CDNBear

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Juan, I know about the pipelines and have in the past posted material to show the connection. But thank you for the very informative excellent link. I will take the time later and read through it.

As far as Canada is concerned, it does not appear as if we will benefit from the oil line through Afghanistan... don't we have enough of our own? We are selling to the States, because we have too much!!!

Our involvement in Afghanistan is purely because of pressure from our southern neighbor, direct or indirect, and also because of our present infantile, US-docile government. That's my humble opinion!

IF, as our leaders Harper/MacKay and company try to convince us of, we are there for humanitarian reasons, then WHY for Pete's sake don't we save our resources until such time when there is peace and stability, and we can actually go and help the Afghan people rebuild? All we are doing now is help the Americans and their ruthless drive for power and the world's resources!! In other words, we are helping to clear the ground for BIG Business to move in.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Our involvement in Afghanistan is purely because of pressure from our southern neighbor, direct or indirect, and also because of our present infantile, US-docile government. That's my humble opinion!

And it is an opinion, as it is stated here, based on conjecture and obviously subjective material.

It is either that, or you have an issue with absorbing fact.

Facts such as...

The Liberals sent the CAF's into Afghanistan, not the present Gov't.
The obligation under NATO.
The UN mandate.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa

Avri quote

There isn't enough tin foil on the planet to sheild you from what's wrong with your anti-social behavior Mulder.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
dancing-loon
Here is another link that you might find interesting.

http://www.zmag.org/tanteroil.htm
Thank you, Juan; that's an excellent link! It neatly details all the routes to move the oil to the tankers.
I have thought that perhaps the constant harassment of Iran and possible war is the real purpose to bring it to its knees in order for the US to establish a "save" government, so the route through Afghanistan could be avoided, and instead have a line run the much shorter way through Iran.
But with already two messy wars on the go, they seem to hesitate or pause with a direct attack, trying instead the softer way of crippling sanctions.