Why we should bring back hanging

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
After the Suffolk Strangler was sentenced to spend the rest of his life in gaol for murdering five prostitutes, and Mark Dixie must serve AT LEAST 35 years for murdering Sally Anne Bowman, Carole Malone argues that Britain should re-introduce hanging.

Britain has more people serving life sentences than the rest of Western Europe COMBINED and has Western Europe's biggest prisoner population.

February 24, 2008

News of the World
Carole Malone

WHY THE GALLOWS FEELS LIKE JUSTICE

Britain should bring back hanging, no matter what the liberal left says

BRING Back Hanging! It's hard to write those words, let alone believe it should happen.

Because—as the argument goes—we live in a civilised society, and if the state inflicts death or violence upon its citizens then don't be surprised if those citizens become violent killers.

That's the mantra of the liberal left, who insist the death penalty isn't the solution to the bigger problem, it's inhumane and, oh yes, it's totally and utterly wrong to kill people—whatever the circumstances.

Easy for them to say, from the warmth of their TV studios or well-protected middle-class homes. But come on down into the real world for a second.

Come into Linda Bowman's world. She didn't believe in hanging either until her 18-year-old daughter Sally Anne was mutilated, slaughtered and then raped by a monster called Mark Dixie.

But now she does. Now Linda says she could quite happily put the noose around Mark Dixie's neck and kick open the trap door. And she means it.

She's not hysterical. She's not emotional. But, thanks to Dixie, she's now devoid of all compassion. Wanting HIM dead is what keeps HER alive.

And isn't that the point? None of us can have any meaningful opinion on the death penalty until we have been directly affected by a crime so savage that it wrecks lives for ever. All of us who moralise about hanging or death by lethal injection have probably never been affected by a rape, murder or crime so hideous it destroys the very core of our moral compass.

But how can we expect a mum like Linda Bowman to buy the argument that if we bring back the death penalty an innocent person may be executed?

Her daughter WAS innocent, for God's sake!

As are most of the people who get stabbed, raped and shot on our streets. Their only crime is "being in the wrong place at the wrong time."

Sneer

Yet another argument that makes my blood boil, because if we had crime under control—if our government hadn't handed over great swathes of our towns and cities to the yobs—there wouldn't be any "wrong" places.

Maybe those liberals sneering at people who call for the death penalty (the friends and relatives of the prostitutes murdered by Suffolk Strangler Steve Wright for a start) and talking as if THEY'RE the savages, ought to think how their views might change if it was THEIR wives, THEIR daughters, THEIR sons who'd been mutilated or murdered.

Hand on heart I don't want the death penalty. But if I was Linda Bowman I know I would. If I was Garry Newlove's widow Helen I know I would.

And it seems incredible that in the week when two of the most callous murderers of the past decade—Wright and Dixie—were found guilty, Jack Straw decided it was a good time to tell magistrates not to send people to jail.

Is it any wonder the British people are baying for blood when they see a government that—every time a child is stabbed, every time innocent people are beaten to death—vows on the one hand to get tough yet on the other tells magistrates NOT to send people to jail?

Don't they understand we wouldn't need the death penalty if, when crimes are first committed, the punishment was severe enough to deter people from doing it again?

If a burglar knows he'll be sent to prison for five years for a first offence he won't do it. If a killer knows life actually means life he'll think twice. If a rapist knows it's ten years with no extenuating circumstances he'll walk away.

But habitual, hardened criminals now know that whatever they do (barring murder) it's unlikely they'll be locked up because there's nowhere to put them. And even if they are, it'll be for a derisory period of time.

This government needs to act fast because we're now living in a country that's boiling over with anger, a country where decent, law-abiding people are moving ever closer to vigilantism, revenge and demanding a life for a life.

Yes, I'm an inch away from jumping on to those barricades myself, because I've seen at close hand what these murdering monsters do to people.

It's not just their victims they kill. They kill the people who love them, they kill hope, they kill compassion and they sure as hell kill the entire concept of human rights.

www.notw.com

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
I quite agree Blackleaf. America could have millions freed-up by executing the enormous population of people it has imprisoned. There is it seems a disconnect between the notion that we can invade and kill hundreds of thousands on the basis of a lie and trumped-up excuses but executing known murders' and rapists' is somehow "different"....

Go figure

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I agree with the death penalty - IF there exists no shadow of a doubt. There are too many Stephen Truscott and Guy Paul Morin stories out there.

Woof!

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
And isn't that the point? None of us can have any meaningful opinion on the death penalty until we have been directly affected by a crime so savage that it wrecks lives for ever. All of us who moralise about hanging or death by lethal injection have probably never been affected by a rape, murder or crime so hideous it destroys the very core of our moral compass.

Don't they understand we wouldn't need the death penalty if, when crimes are first committed, the punishment was severe enough to deter people from doing it again?

If a burglar knows he'll be sent to prison for five years for a first offence he won't do it. If a killer knows life actually means life he'll think twice. If a rapist knows it's ten years with no extenuating circumstances he'll walk away.

What complete and utter bull. Rape and murder still occur in countries with death penalties. Stiffer sentencing has not proven to be a deterrent to crime.

And the first point I highlighted is exactly why the judicial system is in the hands of society, not in the hands of the victims. Because as much as we might want to see vengeance for crimes, it needs to fit society, not the desires of the victims. The moral compass of the victims is too often, as the author puts it, destroyed.

Reactions: gerryh

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
While I agree with your sentiment Karrie...regarding the idea that the death penalty isn't a deterrent....but kindly tell us what would be...?

Until automobile drivers started losing their freedom to drive to get insurance to operate a motor vehicle after being convicted of drunk driving or repeatedly driving without using their seat belts...etc. compliance was far lower. Despite nasty fines and potential loss of driving privileges people continue to ignore speed limits.....

How do we deter people from breaking law/faith with their fellow citizens and fellow human beings if we don't increase the severity of the consequences?

Please begin with drunk driving and drug abuse, then move along to spousal abuse child abuse and pedophilia.... We've attempted rehabilitation and therapy and what we have are dysfunctional families, enormous prison populations and widespread disregard and disrespect for law and order...

Your solutions are eagerly anticipated..:)

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
I agree with the death penalty - IF there exists no shadow of a doubt. There are too many Stephen Truscott and Guy Paul Morin stories out there.

Woof!

Agree. If we were 100% certain that someone committed first degree murder, then by all means the best justice for the victim's family members is the death penalty.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
While I agree with your sentiment Karrie...regarding the idea that the death penalty isn't a deterrent....but kindly tell us what would be...?

Until automobile drivers started losing their freedom to drive to get insurance to operate a motor vehicle after being convicted of drunk driving or repeatedly driving without using their seat belts...etc. compliance was far lower. Despite nasty fines and potential loss of driving privileges people continue to ignore speed limits.....

How do we deter people from breaking law/faith with their fellow citizens and fellow human beings if we don't increase the severity of the consequences?

Please begin with drunk driving and drug abuse, then move along to spousal abuse child abuse and pedophilia.... We've attempted rehabilitation and therapy and what we have are dysfunctional families, enormous prison populations and widespread disregard and disrespect for law and order...

Your solutions are eagerly anticipated..:)

The problem is Mikey, that many times breaking the law is something that is done by compulsion or inattention. Rapists don't rape because they think it will turn out okay in the end. They rape because they're compelled to. They injure because they're driven to. You can't 'solve' all crime. It's impossible. All you can do is come up with ways of dealing with the fallout that your society is comfortable with.

When it comes to crimes of inattention (driving for example), yes, increased ramifications can be helpful, but, they don't erase all crime either.

If you have any magical solutions, go ahead and answer your own questions, but, I've been around humanity too long now to think that there are any solid ones.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Woof!

Agree. If we were 100% certain that someone committed first degree murder, then by all means the best justice for the victim's family members is the death penalty.

of course....when Truscott and Morin were convicted.....the Judge....the prosecution... the Jury....the victims families.......all were 100% sure the 2 men were guilty.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
of course....when Truscott and Morin were convicted.....the Judge....the prosecution... the Jury....the victims families.......all were 100% sure the 2 men were guilty.

For there to be no shadow of a doubt, there would have to be witnesses - credible and unbiased witnesses - or some very sound photographic evidence. Even DNA technology isn't foolproof.

Woof!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
For there to be no shadow of a doubt, there would have to be witnesses - credible and unbiased witnesses - or some very sound photographic evidence. Even DNA technology isn't foolproof.

Woof!

Beyond a shadow of a doubt is how it supposed to be right now...... is it not?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Beyond a shadow of a doubt is how it supposed to be right now...... is it not?

Right now, there is no death penalty in Canada, Britain or many of the States.

Woof!

:roll:

If you're found guilty of a crime..it's supposed to be beyond a shadow of a doubt..right? So what would be the difference with or without the death penalty?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
:roll:

If you're found guilty of a crime..it's supposed to be beyond a shadow of a doubt..right? So what would be the difference with or without the death penalty?

I would hope they'd be a lot surer than they have been about their "beyond a shadow of a doubt". Right now, we have a legal system geared more for conviction than it is for the pursuit of justice. There is too much emphasis placed on cutting deals in exchange for.... If we had a justice based system, Carla Homolka would still be warming a jail cell.

Woof!

Last edited: