Russian Aircraft Carrier Group

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Russian Aircraft Carrier group heads to the Mediterranean

Global Research, December 8, 2007
Xinhua News Agency - 2007-12-05

Russia has dispatched an aircraft carrier group to the Mediterranean Sea in an effort to show its naval presence in world oceans, Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov announced Wednesday.

The mission involves an aircraft carrier with 47 aircraft on board, two anti-submarine ships, a guided missile cruiser and a refueling ship from Russia's Northern and Black Sea fleets, Serdyukov said at a Kremlin meeting with President Vladimir Putin.

The aircraft carrier group will conduct three tactical exercises, including real and simulated launch of missiles, said Serdyukov, adding 11 port visits are expected to be made.

"The aim of the cruise operation is to ensure Russia's naval presence and the navigation safety of its vessels," he said.

Naval chief Admiral Vladimir Masorin in August called for adjusting of strategies to restore a permanent Russian naval presence in the Mediterranean.

Russia's Black Sea Fleet is currently leasing Ukraine's Sevastopol port which expires in 2017. Russia plans to relocate part of its Black Sea Fleet to the Mediterranean if it fails to extend the leasing agreement with Ukraine.

Russia's navy is using Syria's port of Tartus as a supply base serving its ships in the Mediterranean Sea.

Upon a decree by Putin, permanent patrolling by long-range aircraft of the Russian Air Force was resumed on Aug. 17 for the first time since 1992.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
With the onset of yet another cold Russian winter, this must be a reward! "Comrade, ve are sendik you to Mediterainian for all of winter." Party on Garth! :lol:

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
Oh, for the cold Russian winter! It's freaking warm!! No colder than -5!
I miss the snow.... :sad1:

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Oh OH here come them reds agin....

Time to warn the world about naval manoeuvers as "urgent necessity"....

Never mind the U.S. planting missiles on Russias doorstep, them rubber-band subs and ships will be deemed a "provocative display" by the hawks in the Pentagon....

One Russian sub and one American sub with nukes.....add a little paranoia and stir vigorously around Iran.....

Viola..... winters end.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
K.... Taking bets here.... When do we have the first Hunt for Red October or Gray Lady Down? Geez ... ya'd think if they're gonna spend a billion to make one, Sammy and the Bear would go see FoMoCo about back-up cameras so they could see where they're goin' (and if there's something hard ahead of them)

Woof!

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Naaaah We're waiting for the next petroleum supertanker to cut it's way through and in its trail we're putting up Tim Horton's and MacDoland restraunts....

And you fell for it!

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Yippeee! The Ruskies are back on the "Bloc"! Now we can do all that Cold War stuff again!

normbc9

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2006
California
The Russian fleet and air units have as much rights to open air space and seas as any other nation. Their presence now allows us to see what their new tools are. I can't believe the Intel unit from my nation any longer so I want to see for myself. The Indian navy has a task force present in the Indian Ocean too and I applaud their decision to sail there. Normbc9

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The Russian fleet and air units have as much rights to open air space and seas as any other nation. Their presence now allows us to see what their new tools are. I can't believe the Intel unit from my nation any longer so I want to see for myself. The Indian navy has a task force present in the Indian Ocean too and I applaud their decision to sail there. Normbc9

Of course they do. There is no argument there. Every Navy has a right to sail the seas and deploy as they see fit. I think it would be neat if that Russian carrier sailed right into Boston on a good will tour. I'd love to see it and they would be welcome for sure.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I think it would be much more fun if they sailed right into Halifax. Americans get way more excited if it isn't actually about them right off the bat. Just imagine the frantic rush to get the spin going on Fox and CNN. :lol:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I think it would be much more fun if they sailed right into Halifax. Americans get way more excited if it isn't actually about them right off the bat. Just imagine the frantic rush to get the spin going on Fox and CNN. :lol:

Not as much as Canadians do when it isn't about them. I doubt it would even make the news here. We really don't care as much as you want us too.