Chicken Little Demands Apology Sky Falling

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Forecast: U.S. Dollar Could Plunge 90 pct

By UPI

"We are going to see economic times the likes of which no living person has seen," Trends Research Institute Director Gerald Celente said, forecasting a "Panic of 2008." Continue
http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article18777.htm

Banks Gone Wild

By Paul Krugman

“What were they smoking?” asks the cover of the current issue of Fortune magazine. Underneath the headline are photos of recently deposed Wall Street titans, captioned with the
staggering sums they managed to lose. Continue
"A Generalized Meltdown of Financial Institutions"Take a Look at Professor Roubini's Crystal BallBy Mike Whitney

Reality has finally caught up to the stock market. The American consumer is underwater, the banks are buried in dept, and the housing market is in terminal distress. The Dow is now below its 200-Day Moving Average -- the first big "sell" signal. Anything below 12,500 could trigger program-trading and crash the market. The increased volatility suggests that we are watching a "real time" meltdown.
Continue
cluckcluckclukcluckcluck

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Sadly the end I think only colder and bleaker, if the future becomes as dire as some predict I don't see much sunshine for a long time. I can't see the future, maybe that';s why I fear it, I spend a great deal of time worrying about my kids. I wish I could fix it for everyone but I'm just a stupid beaver.:-(

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Economic Outlook 2008: Darkening Clouds

By Dom Armentano

12/06/07 "
Lew Rockwell" -- -- Presidential election years usually are not recessionary but next year will be an exception. Several economic factors are colliding in an almost perfect storm to markedly slow the general economy and the stock market.

The most important signal flashing recession is, of course, the sub-prime mortgage fiasco. After years of monetary inflation on the part of the Federal Reserve, individuals and families with poor credit were suckered into low-down-payment/low-interest adjustable mortgages that simply cannot be maintained or repaid under current conditions. Their incentive is to sell the property quickly before their equity evaporates and/or the financial institution repossesses it. Yet the massive oversupply of homes and condos for sale has pushed prices down at a record clip and made additional foreclosures even more likely. Next year, unfortunately, will be the Year of the Auction.

The financial institutions have also been punished…well sort of. Various institutions including hedge funds that hold these poorly performing debt obligations have been forced (by accounting rules) to "write down" the value of these assets, take huge paper losses in the bargain, and pull in their financial horns. Thus, any near-term recovery in housing must now fight a record supply availability, falling prices, higher insurance costs and restricted credit…a near-term impossibility in my view.

Moreover, the slowdown in residential and commercial construction will send secondary ripple effects throughout the economy. Laid-off construction workers don't spend money. Construction and home furnishing suppliers sell less output and make fewer investments. Even local governments will be pinched by declining property-tax assessments and fewer developer fees. Things are likely to get worse before they get any better.

The second major factor indicating a near-term recession is the sky-high price of crude oil and refined product. Pushed upward by world-wide speculative Mid-East war fears and increases in demand (especially from China), increasing energy prices act as an inflationary "tax" on domestic production and consumption throughout the market economy. Higher costs of production will lower profits; higher prices will reduce some consumption. The only good news here is that any substantial economic slowdown in 2008 will eventually moderate the price of oil and other commodity prices as well.

The third factor in the current recession scenario – and the real wild card – is the continuing decline in the value of the dollar in international money markets caused by our Iraq blunder and the Federal Reserve–generated oversupply of dollars. Some economists would argue that a devalued dollar is good for U.S. exports, and thus positive for the economy as a whole. I disagree for three reasons.

First, the bulk of crude oil purchases takes place in dollars; a falling dollar translates into still higher crude oil prices. Second, the U. S. dollar is the major reserve currency of the international monetary system and dollar-paying investments (such as U.S. Treasury bills and bonds) are held in massive amounts by foreign banks and governments. Dollar devaluation makes these investments less attractive and any disinvestment in these areas would sharply drive bond prices down and increase interest rates.

The third reason why dollar devaluation makes recession more likely is that it effectively prevents the Federal Reserve from pushing U.S. interest rates much lower. Any additional Fed easing (inflation) would be seen as a signal of even further future dollar devaluation and even higher dollar prices for oil. Unfortunately, we will not be able to "inflate" our way out of this recession this time. We will simply have to take our lumps and let market forces liquidate the bulk of the malinvestments caused by the unprecedented Greenspan money bubble. This liquidation process will not be pretty but it is necessary to restore a sustainable economic recovery in the years ahead.

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif] Dom Armentano is Professor Emeritus at the University of Hartford (CT) and the author of Antitrust and Monopoly (Independent Institute, 1998) and Antitrust: The Case for Repeal (Mises Institute, 1999). He has published articles, op/eds and reviews in The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, London Financial Times, Financial Post, Hartford Courant, National Review, Antitrust Bulletin and many other journals.[/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Copyright © 2007 LewRockwell.com[/FONT]​

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
THE MOGAMBO GURU
The shock of a thousand trillion
We are talking about a quadrillion freaking dollars! This, we are told, is the size of the black hole in the world economy ... When I regain my senses, my colleagues demand that I get back to work. Little do they realize that real, inflation-adjusted wages today are one fifth less than they were in 1972 ... I pass out again ... (Dec 5, '07)

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006

The Central Bank; Silent partner in the bloodletting

By Mike Whitney

12/07/07 "
ICH" -- -- -A nation's economy is a reflection pool. The face that looks back from the water; is the face of the culture and the prevailing ethos. It's no different with America. The stewards of the US economic system—Paulson and Bernanke—are inextricably linked to a political/military establishment which has been thoroughly marinated in a culture of violence and corruption. Paulson's “Marshall Plan” for subprime homeowners is just the gloved hand of the despot. The other hand is still busy gouging out eyes at Guantanamo, or clubbing foreign nationals at CIA black sites, or dropping incendiary bombs on schoolchildren in Falluja. It's all the same. The culture of war and demagoguery has its roots in the economic system. Its financial leaders are just as culpable as any low-ranking GI at Abu Ghraib.

The Paulson plan has nothing to do with saving working class people from the ravages of foreclosure. Oh, no. The Bush administration is ideologically opposed to helping people in need. We know that already. Just look at Katrina. The real purpose of the proposed “bailout” is to allow enough people to keep making minimal payments on their mortgages so the banking system doesn't shatter into a million pieces. That's it. It doesn't take a genius to see that desperation has set in at the Federal Reserve. The last time the government orchestrated a bailout of this magnitude was during the '30s. And, guess what? George Bush is no F.D.R.

The truth is, the system is cratering and the Fed's panic-button is “blinking red”. It's obvious. They are doing everything in their power to keep the train on the tracks, but they're not succeeding. They're slashing rates, accepting dodgy collateral (like Commercial paper and shaky mortgage-backed securities) as repos, and they've extended the length of the repos indefinitely, which is the same as “monetizing” the debt. Paulson has tried to set up a Super SIV to help the major investment banks off-load their mortgage-backed junk on the wary public, but that isn't working either. Nothing is working. Meanwhile, the headwinds keep getting stronger, the waves keep crashing over the bow, and ship-o-state keeps listing perilously on its side. It's a mess.

The banks are the conduit for the paper-money scam run by the Federal Reserve. It's a crooked business run by the same people who send our kids to war while rewarding themselves with tax cuts. It stinks. Now the system is in dire straights. Are we supposed to feel bad?

Foreign central banks and investors are dumping their dollars and dollar-backed assets, the Gulf States are threatening to de-link petroleum from the dollar, and investors everywhere know they've been ripped off by a shoddy mortgage-laundering swindle that got the “green light” from US regulators. It's a bad scene all around. And now the chickens are coming home to roost.

Cluck, cluck.

The meltdown in the real estate market continues to send tremors through Wall Street. Trillions of dollars in complex bonds (CDOs and MBSs) are being downgraded as foreclosures increase and housing inventory soars. Banks, insurance companies, pension funds, bond insurers, hedge funds; are all among the living-dead. Many are already insolvent and many more will follow. It's just a matter of time. The foundation of the financial markets is crumbling. The scheme to transform the liabilities of loan-applicants with bad credit into a reliable source of fat profits has failed. Alchemy still doesn't work. Never has.

The subprime crisis and (subsequent) credit crunch originated at the Federal Reserve. The Fed triggered a speculative frenzy by lowering interest rates below the rate of inflation for over 31 months between 2002 and 2004. Trillions of dollars were fed into the banking system creating the biggest equity bubble in history. Now that the housing bubble is crashing to earth--and trillions of dollars in shaky bonds are headed for the landfill--the Fed is trying to distance itself from any responsibility. But we know the truth. The plan was authored and executed by the Fed and that's where the blame lies. Everyone else is just a “bit player”.

What matters most, is that the system is collapsing. It is being slowly crushed by the accumulated weight of its own corruption. When the system crashes, the flag will be lowered over Guantanamo Bay, the present oligarchy of racketeers will be removed from office, and the troops will come home from Iraq. Sometimes positive results derive from tragedy.

There could be anarchy or tyranny or martial law or detention camps. Who really knows? It's understandable that the public is worried about “what could happen” in the near future. But, consider this: can we continue moving in the same direction that we are now? Can we keep pouring the blood of innocent people all over the planet while claiming to own the world and all of its resources? Can we keep ignoring the species-threatening challenges of global warming, peak oil and nuclear proliferation?

No.

Well, then, is there any chance that the media, the congress, the courts, or the president will come to their senses; chart a different course, restore civil liberties, stop the human rights abuse, and withdrawal the troops?

No.

So tell me, dear reader, what hope is there for change apart from a full-system economic collapse?

Political systems do not have to be perfect to be acceptable. I'm not naive. But---for many of us---there are basic moral criteria that have to be observed to win our support. The Bush administration has elevated killing, torture and kidnapping to a level of state policy. This is unacceptable by any standard, and yet, all the levers of power are controlled by people who support the present doctrine.

Isn't that so?

The United States is not a beacon of hope or a light unto the world. It is a menace and a growing threat to survival on earth. America's political and military belligerence is just an extension of a domineering economic system which serves the sole interests of the rich and powerful. The Central Bank plays a critical role in this paradigm. Nation's don't go to war without the blessing of their main financial institutions. The “big money” guys are the silent partners in the plunder and bloodletting.

The men who own and oversee the US financial system; created the cancer which is presently devouring it from the inside. Now the tumor has metastasized and spread through the entire organism. The situation is irreversible. The economy is on its last legs and headed for a fall. US political leaders will have to accept a world in which America is just one of many states of equal power and significance. Military funding will slow to a dribble. The killing will stop. Finally.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
By The Mogambo Guru

From Reuters we learn that Lewis Alexander, Citigroup's chief economist, predicted that "The Federal Reserve will cut interest rates by 100 basis points before June to help the housing market."

You will be happy to hear that Mr Alexander is not another ignorant, lowlife loser who is barricaded in the hall closet typing out stupid Mogambo Guru newsletters and vicious hate mail to Congress and the Federal Reserve, but is a bigshot who also once worked at the Fed, so he knows the kind of people he is dealing with.

He said that he "expected the Fed to cut its Fed funds rate by 25 basis points when it meets later this month and by 50 basis points in the first quarter of 2008. The final 25 basis-point cut would probably take place in the second quarter."

Well, that's interesting and all, but then one has to wonder about whether Mr Alexander has any idea what in the hell he is talking about when he went on to say that "the Fed would not be too concerned that the drop in the dollar would be inflationary. Studies carried out over the years had shown that the dollar's value had little impact on consumer prices in the United States." Hahaha! What idiocy!

I instantly see that he is not happy with my rude laughter and snide slander. So he fixes me with a glare and says, "The vulnerability of inflation to a weaker dollar is not a major risk;" which, of course, prompted another gale of scornful laughter! Hahaha! Too much!

As regards the upcoming Fed meeting to alter the aforesaid interest rates, James Turk of the Free Market Gold & Money Report opines, "Pleas to the Federal Reserve by US investors to lower interest rates are no different than those made to the Reichsbank to create more currency to make up what was being lost to inflation. The dollar is headed the same way as the doomed Reichsmark, and Fed chairman Ben Bernanke is taking actions that are basically little different from those taken by the head of the Reichsbank. The clear conclusion is that the dollar is headed the same way as the Reichsmark. Falling demand is eroding the purchasing power of the currency, and the central bank responds to it by creating more currency units - 'printing paper' in the case of Reichsbank and 'adding liquidity' in the case of the Fed. They are in fact [ and here I pause the tape to add a little dramatic flair] exactly the same thing."

Harken to me as I tell you this money inflation means inflation in prices, regardless of what Mr Alexander says. Seeing as it is almost lunchtime, I call on Bill Bonner at The Daily Reckoning to take over for me so that I can duck out of here early and grab a couple of burritos. Graciously, he says "Money, as we all know, practically grows on trees. But food does not. And putting more Asians to work does not automatically increase the supply of farmland … or what grows on top of it … or what lies underneath of it. So, what we've been seeing is just what you'd expect."

Seeing that I am not going to rudely interrupt him, he goes on, "While increased industrial output has managed to hold prices down for manufactured goods, the rising supply of money has forced up prices for things that don't come out of factories. Gold, contemporary art, land, and cooking oil come to mind." Exactly!

Seeing that things were well in hand, I was on my way out the door when I suddenly felt that I had to respond to the remark that "increased industrial output has managed to hold prices down for manufactured goods", because I had just heard from Junior Mogambo Ranger (JMR) Robert M, who sends news that his in-laws in Peru import bearings, and in the last quarter the prices they paid for Chinese bearings "were up from 20%-47% (depending on the piece), overall the prices averaged some 30% higher!"

"So," he says, "we can now see 1) How the decline of the dollar has affected prices of overseas products (explains perhaps 40% of the price inflation of Chinese bearings to us), 2) Raw material prices to China are way up, and 3) China IS 'exporting' inflation'."

And so the rise in prices is just the evidence of how much buying power the dollar has lost. But before I could clamber up to the microphone to launch into one of my infamous harangues about it, Larry Edelson of MoneyandMarkets.com preempts me by saying, "The buck has lost nearly 37% of its purchasing power in just five years, and the dollar's bear market could go on for a lot longer."

Since this "dollar weakness" thing is nothing new, I was starting to doze off and enter Mogambo Dream World (MDW) where tacos grow on trees and beautiful ladies vie for my attention by parading around in various stages of undress, when in fact they didn't have much on to start with, when I was jolted back to reality by him saying, "This means, on an international level, that the value of US gross domestic product has been cut in value by more than a third!" Yikes! An interesting way to look at it: real (inflation-adjusted) GDP is down by a third!

Apparently, Mr Edelson is not interested in my comically holding my head to keep it from exploding at this fresh terror, and says that this is a long-standing problem, as "it means that the Dow Jones Industrial Average - even at its recent high of 14,000 - buys you 21% less than it did when it hit 11,722 in January 2000!"

So the buying power of "investors" has actually gone down for the last seven years? Hahaha! The Cold, Cruel Laughter Of The Mogambo (CCLOTM) is mocking and scornful at the stupidity of people still buying into that stupid "buy and hold", "investing for the long term" crap! Hahaha!

I mean, thanks to the idiocy of the Federal Reserve destroying the purchasing power of the dollar by creating so damned much excess money and credit, in the last seven years these "investor" losers essentially invested 10 pizzas, only to have it be worth only eight pizzas now! Hahaha! What gullible morons!

But this, as horrific as it is, is just against the dollar! He says that the calculations show that "when measured against tangible assets like gold and oil," which tend to go up when inflation in prices is raging, "the Dow purchases even less - almost 70% less than it did seven years ago." Invest 10 pizzas to get three pizzas now! Hahaha! Morons!

And speaking of oil, there is not going to be much good news there, either, as the Financial Times reports that "Exploration companies need oil prices of $70 a barrel to match the returns they made at $30 a barrel only two years ago because of the sharp increase in costs and higher government license fees."

And with today's rampant, irresponsible inflation in the money supply, it is child's play to see that two years from now the Financial Times will almost certainly report "Exploration companies need oil prices of $140 a barrel to match the returns they made at $30 a barrel four years ago", with the subhead "And The Mogambo Is Still Angry As Hell!"

And why aren't people rioting in the streets and demanding that The Mogambo be given full discretionary powers under the Patriot Act to kick some Federal Reserve butt? It's because nobody sees it! "Remember," Mr Edelson says, "just because you don't see these losses on your brokerage statements, or in your IRA or 401(k) - it doesn't mean they aren't there. They are! Your money has lost massive amounts of purchasing power."

But there is a weird madness to it all, as he says, "The thinking goes like this: A sharply lower dollar boosts inflation … that raises asset prices … and thereby reduces the size of debts relative to assets." Hahaha! I don't know where to start! It's Bizarro World!

Richard Daughty is general partner and COO for Smith Consultant Group, serving the financial and medical communities, and the editor of The Mogambo Guru economic newsletter - an avocational exercise to heap disrespect on those who desperately deserve it.

R

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Credit loss could hit $US1trillion

David Nason, New York correspondent | December 27, 2007

THE US economy could be heading into its blackest year since the Great Depression as estimates of losses from the housing slump and sub-prime mortgage implosion reach unprecedented levels.
The latest bank estimate of $US700 billion in losses made this week by Rob McAdie, the UK-based head of credit at Barclays Capital, is $US300 billion more than a headline-grabbing Golden Sachs estimate that jolted US markets just last month.
And it is light years from the $US50-100 billion in losses predicted by US Federal Reserve chairman Ben Bernanke to Congress in July. Expressed another way, the International Monetary Fund and World Bank say only 15 countries have a GDP higher than $US700 billion. Australia was 15th on both lists.
But even estimates of a $US700 billion sub-prime bloodbath may be conservative, with respected finance and economic blog sites like Calculated Risk predicting losses as high as $US1 trillion. The implications for global credit markets of losses of this magnitude would be horrendous, forcing banks and other institutions to slash lending by several trillion dollars.
Combined with the rising cost of oil, the US would be plunged into a recession, the severity of which would depend largely on the policy responses taken by the Fed and the White House to restore confidence and liquidity.
Writing in American Banker last week, Alfred DelliBovi, president and chief executive of the Federal Home Loan Bank of New York and a former deputy secretary of the US Department of Housing and Urban Development, said the lessons of the Great Depression could help avert disaster.
He said the Bush administration should look at the 1933 federal legislation that provided $US200 million to set up the Home Owners Loan Corp (HOLC) and gave it authority to issue $US2 billion of tax-exempt bonds. The funds were used by HOLC to buy delinquent home loans from lenders and refinance them directly with consumers on flexible terms.
HOLC offered to finance up to 80 per cent of a home's assessed value to a maximum of $US14,000, about $US225,000 in today's dollars.
By June 1935, HOLC had refinanced 20 per cent of all qualifying mortgages, saving about 800,000 home owners from foreclosure and stabilising the balance sheets of many lenders. HOLC liquidated itself in 1951 at a slight profit to the government.
"The HOLC success story should give policy makers cause to thoroughly consider reviving the model to deal with the current crisis in home finance," Mr DelliBovi wrote.
"Franklin D. Roosevelt said the broad interests of the nation require that special safeguards be thrown around home ownership as a guarantee of social and economic stability.
"Wouldn't it be a nice change if we could hear President Bush echo those words."
But the powers to intervene like this may not require the setting up of a new government instrument. As the credit crisis worsens, increasing attention is being focused on a 2004 paper by Fed legal division staffers David Small and Jim Clouse about the extent to which the central bank can lend money to individuals, partnerships and corporations (IPCs).
It concludes that the Fed's traditional constraints of conducting domestic open-market transactions only in US-backed or issued securities and making loans only to depository institutions can be relaxed in cases where banks become unwilling to provide credit.
When this occurs, the Fed is free to lend money to anybody it likes, so long as the circumstances are "exigent" and there is a vote in favour by five governors. "In making loans to IPCs, the Fed would be able to accept a wide variety of private sector credit instruments as collateral," the paper says.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Dec 21, 2007
To negative infinity - and beyond
By The Mogambo Guru

I look around the Hopefully Impregnable Mogambo Fortress Of Fear (HIMFOF) and wonder why I am so scared. Things don't "feel" right. I am nervous. I am edgy. I am, obviously, armed to the teeth, trigger-happy and "an accident waiting to happen".

My major problem is that money is being lost by the ton all over the place, as prices of assets are being discovered to be as flimsy and whimsical as a Mogambo promise to let someone else have the TV remote control "as soon as this program is over", which is a lie and everybody knows it. But as angry as they are

about that remote control thing, I notice that people get angrier about losing money - especially lots of money.

Trust me; I know what I am talking about. Like the other night when my son sat down on the couch, 35 cents rolled out of his pocket. So I, quick as a bunny, reached out and scooped it up! Man, he was angry as hell!

And it is not just him. Lots and lots of people are losing lots and lots of money. So I look at Total Fed Credit, the magical fount from whence springs credit in the banks, and I note with some alarm that it is actually down by $3.181 billion last week. I gulp in horror! Down!

This means that people are losing money and no new money is being created by the Fed to replace it! Yikes! This is Bad, Bad News Of The Monetary Kind (BBNOTMK), which is comically indicated by the way my eyeballs quiver in their sockets in my raw, unreasoning panic, meaning we are freaking doomed!

I know that you don't believe me, because I was at the street corner all morning long, yelling this same news to all the people who were driving through the intersection, and none of them believed me, either! Weird! Lots of horn blowing, obscene words and gestures, and the throwing of half-empty coffee cups at me, but no belief!

And they didn't believe the sign I had hung around my neck, either, which said, "Will work for food", which shows that they are particularly good judges of character. The fact that people can immediately discern that I am a lazy, worthless bum who hates work is surprising when these same people are so stupid about the inflationary implications of the Federal Reserve creating so much money and credit during a boom, and are now showing that same degree of ignorance at the bust! So I helpfully tell them "We're freaking doomed, you moron!" but they drive away without saying things like, "Hooray for the Mogambo for alerting us to this very important fact!" or "Bravo, brave Mogambo for exposing the demons at the Federal Reserve and in Congress (except Ron Paul)!"

So instead of fruitlessly arguing with you, too, about the implications of this drop in the creation of excess money and credit, I will merely raise my Bony Mogambo Index Finger (BMIF) and point you to Ludwig von Mises himself, who noted, "The boom can last only as long as the credit expansion progresses at an ever-accelerated pace. The boom comes to an end as soon as additional quantities of fiduciary media are no longer thrown upon the loan market."

And in case you are of the weird and thoroughly-modern neo-Keynesian persuasion which says that all that is ever needed is more and cheaper money provided by the banking system at lower and lower interest rates, which means that you actually believe that there can never be too much debt and that debt can grow exponentially forever, then I will not come over there and slap your ignorant face, but merely again point to Mises, who says, "But it could not last forever even if inflation and credit expansion were to go on endlessly. It would then encounter the barriers which prevent the boundless expansion of circulation credit. It would lead to the crack-up boom and the breakdown of the whole monetary system."

It is times like now that I realize the value of education, and wish that I had paid more attention in school instead of acting like some juvenile delinquent moron and thus having to endure my parents endlessly arguing with the principal about whether I am the spawn of Satan or not. I now rue my ignorance because I cannot calculate how much freaking money comes from $3.181 billion of new credit when multiplied times the fractional-reserve multiplier in the banks.

I mean, if the banks must keep in reserves 10% of deposits, like in the classic textbook example, then the first bank in the chain can lend out 90% of this new deposit of Fed credit, or 0.90($3.181 billion) = $2.863 billion, and when that loaned money is ultimately deposited by the recipients into other banks, those banks can then loan out another 0.90($2.863) = $2.577 billion, and then when that money is loaned and ultimately deposited in other banks, those banks can lend out another 0.90($2.577 billion) = $2.319 billion, on and on and on until the last dollar is borrowed from the next-to-the last bank in the chain and deposited into the last bank in the chain.

To find the total amount of new money created, you have you add it all up, hour after hour of struggling with a stupid calculator, making mistake after mistake and having to start over again and over again until you are so frustrated and angry that you hit the little buttons so hard with your finger that you hurt yourself, and there is blood all over the calculator, and your finger is hurting like hell and you are raving, screaming, insanely mad.

Then, demonstrating Heroic Mogambo Determination (HMD), you finally, at long last, your finger throbbing, find that the sum total of new money created is actually equal to the inverse of the fractional reserve multiplier times the amount of money deposited!

This means I could have merely multiplied the stupid $3.181 billion times 10 to get the answer, instead of laboriously adding them all up, one by one! This is a HUGE freaking time-saver, about which I learned only AFTER the nightmare described above, and that is why I remember it so well, with scars and a ruined calculator to remind me of the ordeal.

The point is that the "required reserves" in the banks is still about the same stinking $42 billion that it has been for the last eight years! No change! In short, the banks loaned every additional dime of the trillions of dollars that they took in! And then more on top of that! No additional reserves at all! Not a freaking additional dime of reserves has been added in a decade or more!

So you can see how my Puny Mogambo Brain (PMB) is confused and stymied in performing simple, first-day-of-class algebra; if deposits went up but reserves remained the same, then reserves are literally zero against new deposits, and thus the fractional-reserve multiplier is infinite! Infinite! How in the hell do you multiply $3.181 billion times infinity?

I know, thanks to Awesome Mogambo Powers Of Extra-Sensory Perception (AMPOESP), what you are thinking. Half of you are saying to yourselves, "What in the hell is this Dumb Mogambo Moron (DMM) yammering about, and why in the hell should I care about any of this? I am only here to find a way to get rich quick! And so this banking crap means nothing to me! Nothing! Let's get out of here and grab some lunch early so we'll be done by the time The Mogambo gets there, and then we won't have to be disgusted watching him eat, or keep him from stealing food off our plates!" And the other half of you are thinking, "Anything times infinity is infinity, you Brain-Damaged Moron (BDM)."

Pausing a brief moment to make a little note to myself to lower all your grades and ruin your GPAs in Petty Mogambo Revenge (PMR), either about that hurtful "lunch" crack or out of envy at your mathematical skills, I then say, "I can understand multiplying $3.181 billion by infinity to get infinity, but if you remember, which you probably don't because you are a bunch of low-IQ, crack-smoking, teenage scumbag trash, we are talking about a FALL of $3.181 billion in Total Fed Credit."

Seeing the blank looks of confusion on their faces, I explain, "Now multiply it out, observing the signs, and you get negative infinity, you ignorant human garbage! Negative infinity! What in the hell is negative infinity, you Lowlife Student Halfwits (LSH) who won't even share one lousy little piece of pizza with me? I hate you! I hate you all! And I will probably end up strangling half of you before the semester ends, and I will spit on your graves!"

Instantly, I could see that I had made a big impression on them, because they all got up and left, muttering under their breaths, probably to go out and ponder the imponderable, think the unthinkable, namely the existence of negative infinity, only to reach the inevitable conclusion, "We're freaking doomed!", thus attaining True Mogambo Enlightenment (TME). Ommmm.

Richard Daughty is general partner and COO for Smith Consultant Group, serving the financial and medical communities, and the editor of The Mogambo Guru economic newsletter - an avocational exercise to heap disrespect on those who desperately deserve it.

Republished with permission from The Daily Reckoning. Copyright 2007, The Daily Reckoning.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Recession In The US 'Has Arrived'
The feared recession in the US economy has already arrived, according to a report from Merrill Lynch.
By The BBC
08/01/08 "BBC" -- - -It said that Friday's employment report, which sent shares tumbling worldwide, confirmed that the US is in the first month of a recession.
Its view is controversial, with banks such as Lehman Brothers disagreeing.
But a reserve member of the committee that sets US rates warned that it could do little about the below-trend growth expected in the next six months.
"I am concerned that developments on the inflation front will make the Fed's policy decisions more difficult in 2008," Charles Plosser, president of the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia said. He was referring to the problems faced by the US Federal Reserve, which might want to cut interest rates to avoid a recession, but is worried about inflationary factors such as $100-a-barrel oil.
'Significant decline'
An official ruling on whether the US is in recession is made by the National Bureau of Economic Research, but this decision may not come for two years.
The NBER defines a recession as "a significant decline in economic activity spread across the economy, lasting more than a few months".
It bases its assessment on final figures on employment, personal income, industrial production and sales activity in the manufacturing and retail sectors.
Merrill Lynch said that the figures showing the jobless rate hitting 5% in December were the final piece in that puzzle.
"According to our analysis, this isn't even a forecast any more but is a present day reality," the report said.
'Actual downturn'
But NBER president Martin Feldstein denied Merrill's claims.
"I think we're not in a recession now," he told CNBC.
"But I think there is a serious risk that it could get worse and we could see an actual downturn," he added.
Merrill said that the current consensus view on Wall Street that there is a good chance of avoiding a recession is "in denial".
It also objected to the use of euphemistic terms for the state of the economy.
"To say that the backdrop is 'recession like' is akin to an obstetrician telling a woman that she is 'sort of pregnant'," the report said.
Housing figures
There were further signs of the housing slowdown that has sparked off the problems in the US economy in home sale figures.
Pending sales of existing homes fell 2.6%, according to the National Association of Realtors, which saw its pending sales index drop to 87.6 in November, 19.2% below the point it was at a year ago.
The figures were better than expected, however, because October's index reading was revised upwards from 87.2 to 89.9.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
There is a down turn in the markets today, globaly.Will the poor banks be O/K, I hope so, they're such nice capitalist people, really.What would we do without them?

If you're in a city stay away from high-rise banks, the sidewalk could be littered with leaping bankers, you might get hurt.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
The Financial Tsunami: The Financial Foundations of the American Century

by F. William Engdahl

Global Research, January 16, 2008

Part II
The financial foundations of the American Century
The ongoing and deepening global financial crisis, nominally triggered in July 2007 by an event involving a small German bank holding securitized assets backed by USA sub-prime real estate mortgages, can best be understood as an essential part of an historical process dating back to the end of the Second World War—the rise and decline of the American Century.
The American Century, proudly proclaimed by Time-Life founder and establishment insider, Henry Luce in a famous 1941 Life magazine editorial, was built on the preeminent role of New York banks and Wall Street investment banks which had by then clearly replaced the City of London as the center of gravity of global finance. Luce’s American Century was to be built in a far more calculated manner than the British Empire it replaced.1
A then top-secret Council on Foreign Relations postwar planning group, The War & Peace Studies Group, led by Johns Hopkins President and geo-political geographer, Isaiah Bowman, laid out a series of studies designed to lay the foundations of their postwar world, already beginning 1939, well before German tanks had rolled into Poland. The American Empire was to be an empire indeed. But it would not make the fatal mistake of the British or other European empires before, namely to be an empire of open colonial conquest with costly troops in permanent military occupation.
Instead, the American Century would be packaged and sold to the world, above all the emerging countries of Africa, Latin America and Asia, as the guardian of liberty, democracy. It would clothe itself as the foremost advocate of end to colonial rule, a stance which uniquely benefited the only major power without large colonies—namely, the United States.
The new American Century world was to be led by the champion of free trade everywhere, which also uniquely benefited the strongest economy in the early postwar years, the United States. It was a brilliant, if fatally flawed concept. As State Department planning head, George F. Kennan wrote in a confidential internal memo in 1948, “We have about 50% of the world’s wealth but only 6.3% of its population…Our real task in the coming period is to devise a pattern of relationships which will permit us to maintain this position of disparity without positive detriment to our national security.” 2
The core of the War & Peace Studies, which were designed for and implemented by the US State Department after 1944, was to be the creation of a United Nations organization to replace the British-dominated League of Nations. A central part of that new UN organization, which would serve as the preserver of the US-friendly postwar status quo, was creation of what were originally referred to as the Bretton Woods institutions—the International Monetary Fund and the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development or World Bank.3 The GATT multinational trade agreements were later added.
The US negotiators in Bretton Woods New Hampshire, led by US Treasury deputy Secretary Harry Dexter White, imposed a design on the IMF and World Bank which insured the two would remain essentially instruments of an “informal” US empire, an empire, initially based on credit, and later, after about 1973, on debt.
New

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The decade of deflation and depression

http://www.marxist.com/Economy/decade_of_deflation_102.html

The overriding economic factor for the first half of this decade will be deflation i.e. an economy where prices are falling. Deflation is going to affect every area of the world capitalist economy, particularly profitable investments. If businesses cannot raise prices and are engaged in a life and death struggle to compete by lowering costs while prices fall, then there are going to be more business deaths. If a capitalist business borrows money it is going to find that the value of that debt will grow as prices fall and it will have to pay back more in real terms than it lent even if there were no interest charged. At the same time, it will only be able to pay debt back by driving down its production costs to make a profit because it cannot raise prices. And that is an economic environment that is crippling for capitalism.
And deflation is invading the world capitalist system like a flu virus for the first time since the 1930s. Hardly anybody has noticed that in the US prices in the shops have been falling for the last six months, not much by just 0.3%. And prices are still a little higher (about 2%) than they were this time last year, but the gap is narrowing fast.
Prices at the factory gate in the US have dropped 1.1% compared to this time last year for the year and for the last six months have fallen at an annual rate of approximately 5%! US companies are going to face pricing pressure like they never have. More and more manufacturing jobs will leave the US, as companies are forced to either shut their doors or manufacture offshore.
The cause of this deflation is partly the decline in investment by US companies, partly the slowdown in American household demand for goods, but also an unprecedented fall in prices of imported goods. In 2001, import prices dropped nearly 9%, the biggest fall on statistical record.
What is happening is that in this world economic recession, the main exporting countries are trying to lower their prices by devaluing their currencies so that they can maintain their share of world markets. This "beggar thy neighbour" policy means they are exporting deflation to the US and Europe at a dramatic rate.
Take Japan. Its economy fell back 5% last year and is now at its lowest level for six years. Prices are now back at 1990 levels. Such trends have not been seen since the 1930s. Japanese national debt is at 130% of GDP. If you add in the bad debt that the government will have to assume from the cascade of bank failures that will happen in the next few years, the debt load will increase to 160%. That is huge. And that is debt that is on the books. Off-budget debt such as government guaranteed pensions in an ageing country is not included and would take the national debt to over 300%.
Japan is rapidly approaching the end of its rope. Its politicians have tried to stimulate the economy by public spending, Keynesians-style. They've spent taxpayers' money and borrowed the savings of Japanese citizens to finance huge public building projects to keep the building contractors working. They've spent and spent and spent, but for little result. Tax receipts are going down, and spending requirements are going up. But to raise taxes would drive the economy down further.
Bad debts in Japanese banks are huge - around 40% of annual GDP. Many of these banks are more than technically insolvent. The negative net worth of the Japanese banking system is somewhere above the yen equivalent of $1 trillion. Capital is being loaned to companies that are basically brain dead and have no chance of growth. But Japanese banks continue to loan money in order to avoid bankrupting companies they do business with.
Japan depends upon exports for its very survival. But it now competes with the rest of Asia in a number of its key industries, especially for the attention and money of the US consumer. And exports are down to dangerously low levels; growth is negative and getting worse; deflation is ravaging the country; unemployment is at an all-time high; banks are collapsing left and right.
So the capitalist government there is trying to save itself by devaluing its currency to make its exports cheaper. Japanese policy makers have been quite brazen about seeking a weaker yen. The yen has already dropped to Y130/$ and could fall to Y150/$ over the next few months. And only a few years ago, the yen was worth as much Y80/$. This means that, if you are a Japanese consumer, it already takes 60% more yen to buy a dollar and your government is hell-bent on adding another 40% cost increase.
And for Japanese business it means their products are cheaper outside of Japan. If the US steel industry thinks it has problems competing now, just wait till later this year. Japanese manufactured automobiles will be even better value within another few months. That's a nightmare for GM or Ford. No wonder Ford is planning 32,000 job losses over the next two years.
The idea is that Japanese products will be so cheap that everyone will want them and thus the Japanese economy takes off. And Japanese businesses will have less competition from abroad and can improve their profits and their balance sheets at the expense of the Japanese consumer. But it means that US companies will have to keep their prices low at the expense of their profits. Indeed, they will actually have to lower prices - deflation
But it gets worse. Much of the rest of Asia will not sit idly by and watch their competitiveness versus Japan deteriorate. So they will also to devalue their currencies. Malaysia's Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad has said his country may be forced to devalue the ringgit if the Japanese yen continues to decline in value. South Korea signalled it would take measures to weaken its currency as the yen's decline threatens Korean exports. "The weaker yen creates a burden for our exporters"' said Finance Minister Jin Nyum. When Korea, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan and others drop their currency values in line with the yen, that not only keeps them competitive with the products for which they directly compete with Japan, but also the entire spectrum of their products.
But what if you are a company doing business in Asia? Your products now cost more to those consumers, so you sell less of them. Further, your profits as denominated in dollars are less, so your US balance sheet is weaker.
In essence, Asia will be exporting its deflation to the US and Europe. And this threatens any economic recovery. As the American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research put it in its latest report: "Japan's deflation and debt crisis now constitute systemic risk to the global economy."
If deflation comes to the advanced capitalist countries, it spells disaster for all those heavily indebted corporations. Take Enron. The collapse in the stock price of this company would appear to hurt only the shareholders. But Enron is more than its stock. Billions of dollars were lent by banks and others to Enron, which is, have gone up in smoke. This paper burning is deflationary. Every dollar that disappears is deflationary. And it is not just companies. Argentina's debt has gone up in smoke because of deflation.
How can capitalism get out of this? US Fed chairman Alan Greenspan is the great guru of US capitalist growth. His answer is to try and reinflate the economy. The best way to do this would be to lower the value of the dollar. But today the dollar is the reserve currency of the world. As fast as Greenspan prints it, other nations are buying it. If he prints it too fast, bringing back inflation, the world would lose faith and the dollar could drop like a rock. That would lead into an even more serious world recession. But print dollars too slow and we have deflation and depressed economy.
The real problem is that capitalism only prospers when there is profit and that means proper investment in labour power and sufficient spending by consumers. Just expanding the amount of money in the system does not do the trick. Indeed monetary expansion may delay depression and only to make it last longer. As the great capitalist economist, Joseph Schumpeter put it in the 1930s: "the economic recovery is sound only if it comes of itself. For any revival that is merely due to artificial stimulus leaves part of the work of depression undone and adds to an undigested remnant of maladjustments, new maladjustments of its own". Thus capitalism needs depression, falling production and rising unemployment to 'cleanse' the system of overcapacity and overproduction.
That has yet to happen at the start of 2002. The credit bubbles continue in the stock market (US), and in property (US and UK). As one economist from the Dutch bank, ABN-AMRO, Chris Wood remarked: "The Greenspan approach should be viewed as an effort to cheat nature and the business cycle. Like any effort to cheat it is ultimately not going to work, with the only question of how much more debt is generated in a vain effort to keep the consumer in the game."
The key to recovery under capitalism must be rising profits and falling interest rates. There is no sign of the former in the US. The big US bank, JP Morgan forecasts that company earnings in 2002 will not grow at all. Morgan Stanley chief economist Stephen Roach said US corporations will continue to have difficulty raising prices. That means reduced profit margins and lower profits, which is precisely what we are seeing in the current data.
Lower profits mean lowered capital spending. We are at decades-long historic lows in capacity utilisation. Businesses do not buy products (capital spending) to increase capacity unless they see an increase in demand or a way to lower production costs for existing demand.
But the economic and financial excesses that have built up in the US economy during the past four to five boom years are the worst in history. The last time the US economy experienced protracted weakness was from 1989 to 1993. Taking the actual credit expansion as a measure of excess, during the second half of the 1980s, total credit (private nonfinancial and financial) increased $3.4trn. In the second half of the 1990s, it expanded by more than $9trn.
As one economist, Kurt Richenbacker put it: "this is a virtual Pandora's box of interrelated and interdependent bubbles, and the one thing that is keeping all these bubbles afloat is the illusion of an imminent V-shaped recovery and blind faith in the magic of Mr. Greenspan. Who or which demand component could possibly lead the predicted US economic recovery? Rising capital spending by debt-laden corporations confronted with collapsing profits? Or higher spending by the debt-laden consumer confronted with huge wealth losses in the stock market, rising employment and stagnating or shrinking disposable income? One thing is beyond any doubt: the V-shaped US economic recovery is impossible."
By Michael Roberts,
January 14, 2002

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
All the major government indicators of economic performance are phoney and have been for years
real rate of present American inflation =6.9% consumer inflation and expected to climb steeply. L ast years figures were 7.06% which makes consumer inflation of 15% over those two years.

Foos prices have inflated 50.1% in the last year, that's an anual increase that is going to continue and there is no remedy. And it was done with purpose. Now we can understand the warnings about food shortages. We may see inflation on consumer goods rise to 15% this year alone or worse. Falling wages rising prices =recession=deep recession=depression=civil unrest=police state=concentration camps=global war. The United States cannot loose it's reserve currency power and survive in it's present form it will war on the world to preserve it no matter how many countrys it has to destroy or how many people have to die.
Presently that reserve currency status floats on oil and military power both are being challenged and stretched to the limit, the country is in reality bankrupt and broke, consequently it has nothing to loose. This is going to be a very bad year followed by a horrific decade.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
All the major government indicators of economic performance are phoney and have been for years
real rate of present American inflation =6.9% consumer inflation and expected to climb steeply. L ast years figures were 7.06% which makes consumer inflation of 15% over those two years.

Food prices have inflated 50.1% in the last year, that's an anual increase that is going to continue and there is no remedy. And it was done with purpose. Now we can understand the warnings about food shortages. We may see inflation on consumer goods rise to 15% this year alone or worse. Falling wages rising prices =recession=deep recession=depression=civil unrest=police state=concentration camps=global war. The United States cannot loose it's reserve currency power and survive in it's present form it will war on the world to preserve it no matter how many countrys it has to destroy or how many people have to die.
Presently that reserve currency status floats on oil and military power both are being challenged and stretched to the limit, the country is in reality bankrupt and broke, consequently it has nothing to loose. This is going to be a very bad year followed by a horrific decade. "Fortress America" now has clearly defined parameters.

jimshort19

Electoral Member
Nov 24, 2007
Zurich
If one reads junk news, one gets junk forecasts. "The housing market is in terminal distress." This is the kind of nonsense that losers love. But real estate in the U.S. and Canada is about as solid as a rock. It has taken a dusting in the U.S. and C.I.B.C. is raising 1.75 billion to shore up theeir capital base because they were lending like drunken sailors in the U.S. C.I.B.C. will not fail, even though they'll take the largest ssingle hit.

Why, after a thousand failed forecasts, do people rely on nonsense? Because it is what they want to hear. They are desperate to see the failure of success. Why do they want America to fail, Canada to fail, our banks and our business, all to fail? Why do they love failure?

Because they are socialist losers. Why don't they give up when their dreams have not come true for the western world since Hitler? Because they are losers.