A conflict waiting to happen: Kurds vs Turks

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Creation of a virtually independent Kurdish state in northern Iraq was certain to provoke Turkey

By ERIC MARGOLIS

No one should be surprised by the dangerous crisis between Turkey and Iraq-based Kurdish separatists.
Critics long warned the U.S. invasion of Iraq would inevitably release the genii of Kurdish nationalism. Creation of a virtually independent, U.S.-backed Kurdish state in northern Iraq was certain to provoke Turkish fury.
A decade ago, I covered the low intensity war in Eastern Anatolia between Kurdish PKK guerillas and the Turkish army. At the time, the world ignored this ugly conflict in which 35,000 people had died. I came away torn by sympathy for both sides.
In recent weeks, Turkish-Kurdish tensions erupted. Marxist-nationalist PKK guerillas (Turks brand them terrorists) fighting for an independent nation for Turkey's 20 million or so Kurds killed 12 Turkish soldiers and captured eight.
Hundreds of Turkish soldiers have been killed in Turkish Anatolia by Kurdish fighters known as "pesh-merga."
Fiercely nationalist Turks demand their armed forces invade Iraq's autonomous Kurdish mini-state to destroy PKK bases. Turkish attacks are already under way.
Washington urged "restraint" on its key ally, Turkey. By contrast, after two Israeli soldiers were captured last year in a routine border clash with Hezbullah guerillas, the White House gave Israel a green light to bomb and invade Lebanon, killing over 1,100 civilians and causing $4-billion damage.
This crisis is a huge mess for all concerned. Turkey supplies 70% of air-delivered supplies to U.S. forces in Iraq, and is a vital NATO ally.
But Turks are enraged and increasingly anti-American.
DISCREET
Iraq's Kurds, America's only ally in that strife-torn nation, discreetly back the PKK and are working for full independence -- certain to enflame Turkey's Kurds.
Turkey's government must respond to public outrage, but fears major military action in Iraq will foreclose its hopes of getting into the European Union, and put it on a collision course with the U.S.
Israel is secretly backing Iraq's Kurdish mini-state and hopes to build an oil pipeline from Iraqi Kurdistan to Haifa.
But Israel is a close ally of Turkey's right-wing generals, who hate Kurds and their own democratic government led by able PM Recep Erdogan.
In the 1990s, I wrote an article for the Wall Street Journal -- before being banned from its pages for political heresy -- cautioning that if Iraq one day splintered, Turkey would be tempted to seize Iraq's major northern oil regions around Mosul and Kirkuk.
SPLIT IN THREE
That day is near. President Geoge W. Bush's invasion devastated Iraq and split into three pieces -- fulfilling Israel's strategic plan in promoting the invasion.
Iraq's Mosul oil fields, which formerly belonged to the Ottoman Empire, are only 119 kms from Turkey's border.
After the First World War, the British Empire grabbed the oil-rich region, creating the unnatural state of Iraq to safeguard it.
If Iraq slides further into the abyss, Turkey and Iran may partition Iraq. Today, Turkey has no oil. Its fragile economy is hammered by having to earn U.S. dollars to buy oil. But if Turkey repossessed Iraq's northern oil fields, this nation of 70 million with 515,000 men at arms would become an important power that would reassert traditional Turkish influence in the Mideast, Balkans, Caucasus, and Central Asia.
It's a huge temptation Ankara cannot ignore. If the U.S. can invade Iraq for oil, why not neighbouring, ex-owner Turkey?
Meanwhile, Washington mutters about launching attacks on PKK, which it also brands "terrorists."
But with the hypocrisy typical of U.S. Mideast policy, Washington closes its eyes and may be secretly arming Iraqi Kurds.
Turkey insists it is fighting "terrorism" and has every right to strike into Iraq to protect its national security -- Bush's justification for invading Iraq.
This Kurdish fracas comes just as Dr. Strangelove Dick Cheney and star pupil, Bush, are fanning hysteria over Iran and threatening war. Latest reason: Iran "might" have nuclear knowledge -- welcome to "thoughts of mass destruction." Throw in the growing crisis in key U.S. ally Pakistan, and we face one unholy mess.

http://www.torontosun.com/News/Columnists/Margolis_Eric/2007/10/28/4611261-sun.php

In bold you will notice typical U.S. hypocricy.:roll:

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
all of these problems in countries that Britain put together can never be undone...even rezoning the country properly...Iraq is basically 3 people...putting them together like Britain did was just for military profit.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
I think it would be just swell if Turkey cleaned up what the British and the Americans have managed to screw up over the past hundred years.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Why not?

I'm not sure you even read it.:roll:

Ummm...so it was a coincidence? Bush was planning a war for oil at EXACTLY the same time the Zionists were plotting to manipulate Bush into invading Iraq in order to divide it.

Such luck, those Jews!

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Of course in typical American fashion, responsibility is avoided as is acknowledgement of some trillion dollars funnelled into Israel out of America for decades....

The next thing we'll be hearing is that there are weapons of mass destruction in Iran and the United States of Corporatism will have their next stooge (Colin Powel's understudy) present irefutable proof that Iran has these weapons and Donald Rumsfeld's understudy will declare .."We KNOW where those weapons are...."

These Americans are so amusing!

You can hear the laughter and glee emanating from New Orleans that arises when a phoney war is funded by a corrupt government while American citizens are sacrificed to rampant stupidity....

You can watch the evening sky as bright American faces stare heaveanward in anticipation of the forthcoming healthcare delivered to nearly fifty million Americans....

You can listen to the bridges overpasses and infrastructure crumble under the applause of a citizenry that doesn't have the integrity to acknowledge how corrupt and disingenuous their election process, their politicians and their grand "Manifest Destiny" turns out to be....

Keep up the jokes, I'm sure that rainbows and bunnies will cascade from above to ameliorate your bruises in defending an indefensible foreign policy and a corrupt and counterfeit philosophy....

Good show...

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Yeah they disturbed the millenia of peace and tranquility in the region! :p

You disturbed any ability of the region from becoming democratic by propping up brutal dictators to control an oil rich region and in your recent effort to combat so called terror you have made the threat of such a thing many more times greater, while killing hundreds of thousands of inocents in the name of spreading freedom but doing nothing of the sort.

How proud you must be.:roll:

Hopefully the dark days of Bush will be over when he slithers out of office.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
You disturbed any ability of the region from becoming democratic by propping up brutal dictators to control an oil rich region and in your recent effort to combat so called terror you have made the threat of such a thing many more times greater, while killing hundreds of thousands of inocents in the name of spreading freedom but doing nothing of the sort.

I'm a baaaad boy Abbott!!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Avro....... americans really don't give a rats a$$ about anybody anywhere else except under their own roof. If it benefits them in some way...then the attitude is "nuke the buggers".

iARTthere4iam

Electoral Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pointy Rocks
So was the war about oil or was it a zionist plot? Sorry Eric, can't have it both ways. :)

No no. It was clearly a zionist oil plot to pit your enemy's enemy (Saddam's enemy the Kurds) against your ally's ally ( the US ally Turkey) so that your other enemy (Iran) and a long gone empire ( the Ottomans) can reestablish their control over the region (minus Israel and the west bank and Gaza naturally) that was incorrectly divided up ninety years ago so that the Zionists can run a pipeline across their other enemy's (Syria's) territory allowing them fuel so that they might continue to drop bombs on starving palestinian babies while their ally (the US, again) can continue it's military coup of the globe. It's so obvious, I'm surprised you didn't see it.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
"Israel is secretly backing Iraq's Kurdish mini-state and hopes to build an oil pipeline from Iraqi Kurdistan to Haifa. "

Sorry, once I read that I laughed. ALOT, loudly with coffee coming out my nose.

1.) Its pretty hard to build a pipeline from Kurdistan to Haifa without going through Syria (a nation at war with Israel), I guess thats why they are doing it SECRETLY.

2.) Israel must be pretty bad at keeping secrets if random forum dwellers in Canada know all their juicy top secret plans.

They should really stop posting their top secret matrial on youtube I guess.

man, how can you take yourself seriously?