Poll in Afghanistan

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
A poll, conducted by Environics in partnership with the CBC, was conducted throughout Afghanistan with over 1500 participants.......

Men and women were polled separately. Surprizingly, over 85% of those asked to participate readily agreed, a much higher rate than the pollsters had seen elsewhere.

Now to the meat:
59% felt the Karzai gov't represented their interests, as opposed to 32% who felt it did not.
71% approved of the Karzai gov't, 20% disapproved.

Nationally, only 14% supported the Taliban, 73% gave a negative response.
In Kandahar, the "Taliban Stronghold", the Taliban had only a 20% approval rating, 67% gave a negative response.

74% of Afghans, however, would like to see peace talks.

84% are confident the Afghan Army will, in future, be able to stabilize Afghanistan......
70% say foreign troops should stay 2 or more years or until the country is stabilized, only 14% want foreigners out now.

81% say their life is better now than it was in 2000. Only 19% say they are worse off.

73% say women are much better off than in 2000.

NOW THE BAD NEWS:

Polls in Canada show 52% disapprove of the Afghan mission, and 45% approve.

VERY INTERESTING!

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
When I heard Don Newman talking about that I seem to remember too that about 70% of Afghanis think it's only the Americans that are protecting them, even in the southern provinces. But, they think highly of us with regard to our assistance in the rebuilding efforts. They should know.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Reminds me of the plebiscites that showed 95 % approval ratings for the puppet regime imposed by the USA in Vietnam. Despite the reported numbers, the Viet Cong kept winning and ultimately won.

If so many approve of Karzai, why do you suppose that the Taliban is doing so well??

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Reminds me of the plebiscites that showed 95 % approval ratings for the puppet regime imposed by the USA in Vietnam. Despite the reported numbers, the Viet Cong kept winning and ultimately won.

If so many approve of Karzai, why do you suppose that the Taliban is doing so well??

Where to start?

Environics is reputable, and the CBC a little left-wing if anything, so I would be apt to trust the poll....as much as I trust any poll, which is NOT a whole lot. I had never heard of polls in South Vietnam, although you have got to be suspicious of ANY poll that has findings in above the 90 percentile.....

The Viet Cong practically ceased to exist fter they were torn to bits by Allied forces in the 1968 tet campaign......they certainly DID NOT win, although they continued to fight.

The NVA did not win militarily......the North signed a Peace Treaty after negotiations (sound familiar) then broke it as soon as feasible after US forces were gone..........a warning for Afghanistan.

Taliban forces are largely non-Afghan, they assemble and retreat to Pakistan, and it takes a whole lot less than 1% willing to fight to make things a mess, and who says the Taliban is doing welll?

etc.

Reactions: Just the Facts

Mano

Oct 18, 2007
Thats good to hear, I also heard the same assesment on Newman's Politics as you did Locutus. Afghanis particularly in Kandahar province seem to think it is the Americans who are providing the security, although their "approval" of Canadian efforts seemed to fairly high.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Where to start?

Environics is reputable, and the CBC a little left-wing if anything, so I would be apt to trust the poll....as much as I trust any poll, which is NOT a whole lot. I had never heard of polls in South Vietnam, although you have got to be suspicious of ANY poll that has findings in above the 90 percentile.....

The Viet Cong practically ceased to exist fter they were torn to bits by Allied forces in the 1968 tet campaign......they certainly DID NOT win, although they continued to fight.

The NVA did not win militarily......the North signed a Peace Treaty after negotiations (sound familiar) then broke it as soon as feasible after US forces were gone..........a warning for Afghanistan.

Taliban forces are largely non-Afghan, they assemble and retreat to Pakistan, and it takes a whole lot less than 1% willing to fight to make things a mess, and who says the Taliban is doing welll?

etc.
Viet Cong - or Vietnamese Communism - did not cease to exist. It reverted back to its political roots in anticipation of January 27 1973's Paris Accord which guaranteed Vietnamese unification as on May 01 1975 (meaning the Treaty was "broken" a bit more than a day ahead of schedule)

Yes, I know about your thesis....

Polls? Have no faith in them - but I do believe we should support our troops.

Wolf