Death to Canada

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
outraged Afghans chant

Hundreds of enraged Afghans chanting "death to Canada" blocked a highway Wednesday following a raid by foreign troops that left two religious leaders dead.

Protesters accused Canadian and American soldiers of killing the two during raids overnight Tuesday on houses in Senjaray, a community on the outskirts of Kandahar city. It is in the Zhari district, a hotbed of Taliban activity west of the city.

About 500 protesters shut down the main highway out of Kandahar city about 7 a.m. local time with some chanting "death to Canada" and "death to foreigners," and calling on foreign troops to leave the country.

Canadian military officials have denied involvement in the raids by both their own soldiers and NATO's.

One Afghan man at the protest told CBC News that he had guests in his house when soldiers burst into the building. "The soldiers tied their hands and feet, covered their eyes and took them away," he said. Another witness said the raids were by American and Canadian soldiers, who took eight people and killed two.

"They're killing our young men," one protester told an interpreter for the Canadian Press. "The day is not far when these innocent civilians will stand against NATO and other foreign troops."
Witnesses also told the Canadian Press that known members of the Taliban were at the demonstration. In the end, Afghan elders in the district quelled the protest.
Civilian deaths

Anger was also directed at Afghan President Hamid Karzai for allowing the international presence in the country, and protesters condemned Afghan intelligence officers for corruption and extortion.
"Their informers are giving them wrong information," one protester told CP, referring to the information that led to the raids. "It is disgusting."

International forces have come under scathing criticism for civilian casualties in Afghanistan, and Karzai has said they undermine efforts to win the trust of the people.

Although verification is extremely difficult as fighting continues, independent counts of civilian deaths by the United Nations and the Associated Press suggest that about 600 civilians have been killed so far this year by both sides.

The international coalition says the Taliban has falsely reported civilian deaths in order to discredit foreign troops and undermine their efforts with the public.
Co-ordination sought

Zhari district chief Habib Sanzarai told Al-Jazeera that foreign forces should co-ordinate operations with Afghan security forces "in order to avoid misunderstanding."

"If these actions against ordinary people are not stopped, more people will pick up arms and will fight the government and its foreign allies for justice."

Zhari district is the birthplace of the Taliban movement and an area where Canadian forces have been concentrating recent operations on re-establishing control.

Habibullah Jan, a lawmaker from Sanzari village, told the Associated Press that NATO forces were responsible for the deaths.

He warned that if international forces continued to target civilians, "people will take up arms against the government and NATO."

http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2007/09/26/afghan-protest.html

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
We have it coming to us, no doubt about it.

Yeah, I read this somewhere else yesterday. It turns out that it was a private security company or a particular US security force, can't remember which. The elders apologised for blaming Canada, but justified their reactions due to the fact that nobody likes being occupied. :S

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Yeah, I read this somewhere else yesterday. It turns out that it was a private security company or a particular US security force, can't remember which. The elders apologised for blaming Canada, but justified their reactions due to the fact that nobody likes being occupied. :S

Yet the damage is done. That's how the seed is planted. That is how terrorists are bred. Young kids wouldn't be nearly as open to fundamentalist crap if there wasn't a catalyst like this.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Actually, in the story I read, the wife of one of the victims is quoted as saying that some troops walked in and pointed their guns at the husband. He said, "You know me, I know you, we're just regular men," and was then shot in the mouth and chest. Here's the link, before my memory betrays the truth anymore.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan

Like the Afghans give a $hit which country the infidels come from.

Of course it was the US, this is Canadian Content after all...

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Like the Afghans give a $hit which country the infidels come from.

Of course it was the US, this is Canadian Content after all...

I think you're being sarcastic. It is of course unfair to blame the US for every bit of sleeze and abuse of power that occurs on the planet. It is almost certainly coincidence that US military personell, US employed mercs, US covert operatives, USAID and various other US citizens are in involved in bloodshed and destruction.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
I'm just so durned prowd we're havin our people kilt by Afghanis who don't want us there..that I'll put a yellow ribbon on my walker.....

Why hasn't Canada shipped over an f-18 or two and destroyed the poppy fields that American pharmaceutical companies are paying warlords and district governors to grow? If drugs are funding insurgents where's the issue? Oh yeah...America will decide for the world who's good or bad and who's a drug dealer and who isn't.....who's a good and decent dictator and who isn't.....Gee it's too bad that America won't turn that same lens of scrutiny on themselves.

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
Afganies: "Death to Canada"

pdated Wed. Sep. 26 2007 10:30 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Afghan protesters shouted "Death to Canada" in a small village outside Kandahar city on Wednesday, but the Canadian military said it was not involved in raids that killed two local clerics.

"These two were not Taliban," one demonstrator told CTV News. "They did nothing wrong."

Witnesses in the village of Senjaray, located west of the city, have given vague descriptions of troops breaking through doors in the middle of the night.

Communities in southern Afghanistan consider the violation of privacy in the home to be an even greater offence than in the West, according to a report in The Globe and Mail.

"Death to Canada, death to foreigners, death to Karzai!" shouted one protester.

The slain clerics were both members of the Alizai tribe, who have little or no place in President Hamid Karzai's government.

Most of the protesters Wednesday belonged to the same tribe.

One witness said the two clerics appeared to have been shot in the chest.

"They are arresting and killing innocent people," a tribal elder who attended the protest told the Globe.

Despite shouts of "Death to Canada," most of the roughly 500 protesters voiced anger at the United States or NATO in general.

"They're killing our young men,'' one villager told The Canadian Press through an interpreter.

"The day is not far when these innocent civilians will stand against NATO and other foreign troops."

Canadian officials said Canada was not involved in military raids late Tuesday night, and neither was the International Security Assistance Force.

Protesters accused Karzai's government of corruption and blamed the Afghan leader for allowing foreign troops into the country.

They also blamed local intelligence officers for misleading the soldiers who purportedly conducted the raids.

"Their informers are giving them wrong information," one villager told CP. "It is disgusting."

Another protester specifically blamed Canadians for wrongfully handing him over to local authorities.

"The Canadians arrested me last week," he alleged to CTV News. "They handed me over to Afghan police, who put me in a cell with no electricity and no water. I am just a farmer."

Some protesters said known Taliban members attended the demonstration. The area is well known for attracting insurgents, who have ambushed NATO soldiers.

The United Nations and The Associated Press estimate that about 600 civilians have died this year during battles between soldiers and the Taliban. But the number is a rough estimate and it's unclear how many have been killed from insurgent attacks.

NATO forces have also said the Taliban falsely report civilian casualties to gain the trust of Afghans and undermine the efforts of foreign troops.

But Habibullah Jan, a lawmaker from Sanzari village, told AP that NATO soldiers were responsible for the raids.

He said that if foreign military personnel continued to target civilians, "people will take up arms against the government and NATO
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...ghan_villagers_070926/20070926?hub=TopStories

So lovely loyalist, i will translate it just for you all, i know there is people in here, who has a very hard to grasp reality.

"GET THE <snip> OUT ONCE AND FOR ALL, PERIOD."

Last edited by a moderator:

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
i see your tone hasn't got any more polite.

using such foul language at us won't do much good, will it? after all, it's not US that "has" to get out, is it? Why don't you petition your MP or something?

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
i see your tone hasn't got any more polite.

using such foul language at us won't do much good, will it? after all, it's not US that "has" to get out, is it? Why don't you petition your MP or something?

You are right, using fool language won't do anything good, just like doing war around the world based on stupidity, is certainly not giving any good, however the difference in here, i don't kill anyone, and i don't use any taxe payer money to use that fool language.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Oh, Logic, Logic, Logic.... Whatever are we going to do? You know, that li'l curse "loyalist" you so often throw around? I'll explain in PM

Wolf

Last edited: