Teacher fights to take gun to class

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Wed Sep 19, 10:52 AM By Teresa Carson

PORTLAND, Oregon (Reuters) - An Oregon high school teacher on Tuesday sued for her right to bring a gun into the classroom for personal protection, clashing with anti-gun advocates fighting for years to rid U.S. schools of weapons.

The teacher, who has a legal permit to carry a concealed handgun, filed a lawsuit against the Medford school district in southwestern Oregon to overturn the district's rule that prohibits teachers from bringing a weapon onto school grounds.

The standoff between the teacher and the school district has grabbed the attention of both sides of the national gun debate.

After a student shot dead 32 people at Virginia Tech University in April, some pro-gun advocates have argued that teachers and perhaps students should be armed to prevent such tragedies in the future.

"The right to protect yourself is natural, God-given and should not be taken away," said Kevin Starrett, executive director of the Oregon Firearms Federation, which is paying for the teacher's legal bills.

"State law unequivocally allows her to do this," he said.

School safety became a national issue after the 1999 shootings at Columbine High School in Colorado in which two students killed 13 people. Anti-gun advocates used the tragedy as an example of the need for tighter gun controls.

The teacher's identity is being concealed to protect her from an abusive ex-husband who has made threats against her and her two children. She said the school district cannot adequately protect her.
The lawsuit was filed in Oregon's state Circuit Court in Jackson County and a hearing is set for mid-October.

The 12,370-student school district argues that being gun-free is a condition of her employment.
"We are saying that the school district has the right to regulate the conduct of its employees to foster a safe environment for students and staff," said Tim Gerking, the school district's attorney.
"If they prevail, will other staff members also want to start carrying weapons? What might happen if the gun got into the wrong hands?" said Gerking.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
I thought oregon was all hanger on'r hippies and their spawn....obviousley this teacher is a psycho and should not be allowed in that province...

lol on province...running out of demento lol

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Well.... gun advocates could argue that if teachers had been armed, Columbine could have come to a much quicker conclusion.

Same goes for any campus shooting frankly.

I'm just glad to know her concern wasn't having to protect herself from her class.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Well.... gun advocates could argue that if teachers had been armed, Columbine could have come to a much quicker conclusion.

Same goes for any campus shooting frankly.

I'm just glad to know her concern wasn't having to protect herself from her class.

And what happens if the student that wanted to open fire at other students just didn't have access to a gun? That is, until the teacher provided him with one. Disarm the teacher(and she can say she has all the training in the world, it means nothing when the other person can get to you before you can reach your weapon), and that's all she wrote.

Letting teachers carry weapons to school is NOT a good idea.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
And another thing. If I was a student that had survived one of those atrocities, I sure as hell would not want another gun being brought to school, no matter WHO is bringing it.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
a gun in a classroom is totally inappropriate on ALL levels, and in any situation. It's just wrong.

Great minds think alike, Hermann.:smile:

I just wish more people would try to get some common sense when it comes to things like this. Hopefully her lawsuit crashes and burns.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
And another thing. If I was a student that had survived one of those atrocities, I sure as hell would not want another gun being brought to school, no matter WHO is bringing it.

I wouldn't either... I was simply running through possible argument. Devil's advocate kind of thing. I'm not clear enough sometimes, so I'm being clear here. I think it's insane to being a gun into a classroom setting. If she is worried about her presence drawing bodily harm at school, frankly, SHE shouldn't be there either. It's irresponsible, as sad as it is to say it. If she thinks there is that distinct a possibility that her husband will walk in and injure her in front of her students, she should not be exposing them to that risk.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I wouldn't either... I was simply running through possible argument. Devil's advocate kind of thing. I'm not clear enough sometimes, so I'm being clear here. I think it's insane to being a gun into a classroom setting. If she is worried about her presence drawing bodily harm at school, frankly, SHE shouldn't be there either. It's irresponsible, as sad as it is to say it. If she thinks there is that distinct a possibility that her husband will walk in and injure her in front of her students, she should not be exposing them to that risk.

That's okay, Karrie. I knew what you were doing.:smile: