What the increasingly confident Taliban want in exchange for peace

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
GRAEME SMITH
From Wednesday's Globe and Mail
September 12, 2007 at 1:38 AM EDT

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan — The Taliban and their allies say they are ready to accept President Hamid Karzai's invitation to peace talks, but with tough conditions that show the insurgents' rising confidence about bargaining with the embattled Afghan government.

The Taliban's demands include an immediate withdrawal of all foreign troops and a rewrite of the Afghan constitution, according to interviews The Globe and Mail has conducted with key figures who would be integral to any political settlement.

Hope for negotiations surfaced after Mr. Karzai said on Sunday that he wants to talk with the insurgents - a statement he has made with increasing frequency as the violence rises. But this time, the Taliban took the unusual step of answering the President, issuing a statement on Monday saying they are prepared to meet with him.

Kabul is investigating the Taliban's invitation, a presidential spokesman said yesterday, adding that insurgents who want to negotiate will not be arrested.

But Kabul will need to make more substantial promises to get talks started, said Qari Yousef Ahmadi, a Taliban spokesman, reached by telephone at an undisclosed location.

"The government hasn't made any serious attempt to talk with us," Mr. Ahmadi said. "If they want to talk, we have two demands: All foreign troops must leave, and we must have an Islamic democracy in Afghanistan."

The Taliban spokesman was vague about his definition of Islamic democracy. Afghanistan's constitution already defines it as an Islamic republic, but it also sets aside a quarter of seats in parliament for women and makes other provisions that give the country a more moderate character than it had under the Taliban.

"The United States brought democracy to Afghanistan, but it was un-Islamic," Mr. Ahmadi said. "We need democracy, but under the laws of Islam."

Although he did not elaborate, he mentioned that another insurgent group has been thinking along similar lines: Hizb-i-Islami, the largest band of gunmen that fights alongside the Taliban.

That group's leader, Gulbuddin Hekmatyar, recently gave a video response to questions from a researcher for The Globe and Mail, outlining his requirements for a ceasefire.

Like the Taliban, the old warlord listed the removal of foreign troops as his first demand.
But he also offered a more detailed political scheme: "Afghan people must sit together and reach the decision that the foreign troops should leave," he said. "The Americans must accept this, and they must leave. We will never participate in meetings in which they don't discuss this issue."
He continued: "Power should be handed over to a temporary government, and they will have a meeting of tribal elders, a new constitution, and work under Islamic rules. We should have real and fair elections, which follow Islamic rules. Under these circumstances, I am ready for negotiations."
Both Mr. Hekmatyar and Mr. Ahmadi remain in hiding; the former has been designated by the United States as a terrorist and supporter of al-Qaeda.

The name Ahmadi is likely a pseudonym, sometimes assumed by different Taliban spokesmen in hopes of avoiding the fate of their predecessors who have been killed or captured.

This points to one of many hurdles for a political settlement: The United Nations has formally designated the Taliban and other insurgent groups in Afghanistan as terrorists, making it politically and legally difficult for the Kabul government to reach a compromise.

"If they're labelled as terrorists, how can they talk?" said Maulana Fazlur Rahman, who heads one of Pakistan's largest religious parties, the Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam, which voices support for the Taliban but disavows any direct link with violence.

"The key lies in the hands of the Americans," Mr. Rahman said during an interview earlier this month in Islamabad.

"They should empower the Afghan government to talk with the Taliban. But the atmosphere is not yet conducive."

The Taliban spokesman agreed that the terrorist designation might hamper talks. During recent negotiations with the government of South Korea for the release of hostages, Mr. Ahmadi said, the Taliban believed that the United States was trying to stop the discussion because it violated the principle of not negotiating with terrorists.

In the end, however, the success of the Korean talks shows pragmatism can overcome such objections, Mr. Ahmadi said.

Canadian military officials in Kandahar have said they do not talk with the Taliban under any circumstances, although their NATO allies have not been as firm. The Dutch military in neighbouring Uruzgan province openly describe talks with insurgents as part of their strategy, and many observers viewed the British military's failed peace deal last year in Musa Qala district as an agreement with the Taliban.

In Ottawa, the Conservative government's Foreign Minister, Maxime Bernier, recently criticized the South Korean government for negotiating with the Taliban for the release of hostages.
"We do not negotiate with terrorists, for any reason," he said.

"Such negotiations, even if unsuccessful, only lead to further acts of terrorism."
New Democratic Party Leader Jack Layton, however, has long called for negotiating an end to the war, while the Liberals have not been vocal on the issue.

So far, the only publicized method for reaching out to the Taliban has been the Peace Through Strength program, a mediation effort aimed at encouraging defections from the insurgency. The program has suffered a lack of funding, however, and cannot offer the Taliban very much except a written promise of immunity from prosecution.

"Karzai wants us to get letters, and be free to sit at home," Mr. Ahmadi said. "This is silly, it's not acceptable."

Whatever compromise might eventually be accepted by the Taliban would probably be hard for the international community to swallow, Mr. Rahman said.

"The West accepts Islam as a religion, but not as a state system, and this is unfortunate," he said.

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007
Oh..oh heavens...oh..the faith is opening my eye!
Yeah...for individual...not the state..

These group of Taliban have serious problem, one can even conclude that they need serious medical examination over and over again then put them under medication.

Their demand is silly, subjection and oppression of religious law cannot possibly be "democracy" since it must be "mandatory" its absolutely ridiculous, outrageous, and unacceptable.
How can anyone begin negotiating for "democracy" if the Taliban wants "dictatorship" in democracy?
Constitution must try to be free to create democracy, although it may reduce some crazy freedom such as public display of nudity although it does happen lol.
I mean..sorry, let's go back..to the topic.
Yes, ridiculous Taliban :D

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
How can anyone begin negotiating for "democracy" if the Taliban wants "dictatorship" in democracy? ... ridiculour Taliban

As a believer in democratic government, there is no reason for me to support suppressive governments of the type like the Talibani. And while that group is rightfully disdained in the West, the media has been quite tame in its reportage of Musharraf in Pakistan as he is a military dicator who exiled that country's legitimate government and refuses to allow democratic elections.

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007
Well, yes.
Bush Administration does support dictatorship threw out the world which is another great irony...
but Afghanistan, right now, is not as surpressing as it was before. There are problems in rural areas where they support Talibans.

Oh yes, there was one report that stated,
1/3 of the foreign aid from Canada mysteriously "disappeared" while going into Afghan..
Their hospitals are overflooded and the equipment and service is bad, not really bad but bad.
(in Kabul)
Yes, I'd like to see Afghanis living in some kind of peace for once...they were invaded by British, Soviet, and Talibans (Mujahadin) but my )@($*@($ government ain't doing good job using the our tax dollar to aid those poor people which I would love to help.
(One country at a time :D I will not support Iraqis, unfortunately. The war itself is simply wrong in my eye and Bush's justification is another issue for me)

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
"Islamic" democracy, some joke. Islamic Republic, okay.

We can't let islamo-fascists take over here. Canadians did not die there for nothing I hope. But we or the UN, cannot stay there forever.

Afghanistan has to work out its own immense problems, to many people living in Afghanistan there really isn't an Afghanistan. Religion is the most important thing to them, not liberty, democracy, progress or freedom. A shame, but a reflection of facts on the ground in that clannish tribal world.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
Isn't this a repost or something? Coulda sworn I've seen this before...

What do they want for peace though? More Bhuddist statues to blow up? Maybe more women who show their ankles to beat? Or maybe some more 12 year olds to instruct in the subtle art of beheading?

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
The Taliban wouldn't be so cocky if Bush had a withdrawal plan from Iraq and could send 25,000 fresh troops to Afghanistan in a few months. Chaos in the White House means chaos in Afghan and Iraq.

Bush and Co. are both incompetent and ignorant. The good news is that things can only get better.

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
How can anyone begin negotiating for "democracy" if the Taliban wants "dictatorship" in democracy? ... ridiculour Taliban

As a believer in democratic government, there is no reason for me to support suppressive governments of the type like the Talibani. And while that group is rightfully disdained in the West, the media has been quite tame in its reportage of Musharraf in Pakistan as he is a military dicator who exiled that country's legitimate government and refuses to allow democratic elections.

Maybe you are a democratic governement supporter, however you should at least try to have one in your own country first, and then wish to have it everywhere else, now the taliban wouldnt have been in power and wouldnt have done so much trouble, if bush father, and their retarded administration, didnt fund them in the first place.

That is the real question, why cia and us governement fund groups in other nation, to destabilized their region?

Problems-reactions-solutions