Colo. school bans tag on its playground

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Thu Aug 30, 7:44 AM ET COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - An elementary school has banned tag on its playground after some children complained they were harassed or chased against their will.

"It causes a lot of conflict on the playground," said Cindy Fesgen, assistant principal of the Discovery Canyon Campus school.

Running games are still allowed as long as students don't chase each other, she said.
Fesgen said two parents complained to her about the ban but most parents and children didn't object.

In 2005, two elementary schools in the nearby Falcon School District did away with tag and similar games in favor of alternatives with less physical contact. School officials said the move encouraged more students to play games and helped reduce playground squabbles.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
I'm sure kids will whine about any game. I'm sure the very same staff have had complaints about kids cheating at hopscotch, or drawing their fortune-tellers wrongly....

get the hell over it, say I. scraped knees and broken teeth are part of playground life.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Ahh!... One of the tough ones! It was accident insurance that sort of laid out a graphic formula for payout for various schoolyard injuries ie: thumb above the first joint: x amount, below: x+y, one tooth: a amount.... all unlikely scenarios that we, as kids, soon figured there wasn't enough return for the amount of pain we'd have to suffer (and there was no payout for the black eye or fat lip you got if someone figured out your Mom caved in and got the insurance)

Wolf

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
i never heard of such a thing. Maybe they have it but don't say much about it. Probably wise not to go telling the kids that their fingers are worth money

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Why not paint a 'tag field'?

If you're in the tag field, shut it with the whining and play.

If you're not, then you don't need to worry about being tagged.

Simple.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Likely scenario: The schoolyard sniveller will happen into that "tag" area and the inevitable will happen. Then Mommy and Daddy will dance off to litigation land with dreams of fat settlements (which of course the lawyer will get a lion's share of) The Board will have to pay out of funds that would be better spent on students to survive the Courts. Whatever happened to the days when you could just ignore the playground prince(ss) without traumatizing it?

Wolf

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
The next action will be to outlaw "hide and seek" in the winter months because the "visible minority" children are so much more visible in the snow. Of course,everyone will have to put on extra clothing until they are the same size as the largest child.We are raising a generation of suckholes that will never be able to handle reality once they leave mommy's teat.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Likely scenario: The schoolyard sniveller will happen into that "tag" area and the inevitable will happen. Then Mommy and Daddy will dance off to litigation land with dreams of fat settlements (which of course the lawyer will get a lion's share of) The Board will have to pay out of funds that would be better spent on students to survive the Courts. Whatever happened to the days when you could just ignore the playground prince(ss) without traumatizing it?

Wolf

Or alternativly, the bully gets the idea to punch someone in the head and then yell "You're it". Or even more fun, running full speed into someone who has their back them and isn't expecting some half wit to attempt to break their neck.

Imagine what telling someone "No, don't be an idiot" might do to their ego.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Or alternativly, the bully gets the idea to punch someone in the head and then yell "You're it". Or even more fun, running full speed into someone who has their back them and isn't expecting some half wit to attempt to break their neck.

Imagine what telling someone "No, don't be an idiot" might do to their ego.
Even ruled, gagged and stuffed there's going to be at least one in every crowd....

Wolf

Coddfish

Electoral Member
May 29, 2007
Ontario
Thu Aug 30, 7:44 AM ET COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - An elementary school has banned tag on its playground after some children complained they were harassed or chased against their will.

"It causes a lot of conflict on the playground," said Cindy Fesgen, assistant principal of the Discovery Canyon Campus school.

Running games are still allowed as long as students don't chase each other, she said.
Fesgen said two parents complained to her about the ban but most parents and children didn't object.

In 2005, two elementary schools in the nearby Falcon School District did away with tag and similar games in favor of alternatives with less physical contact. School officials said the move encouraged more students to play games and helped reduce playground squabbles.

Wow. You know, this reminds me of a time when a class of mine had to play Dodge ball together. At the time, I hated that game with a passion. This was also the time when I was a really big wimp. But, you know what, I didn't complain. If I didn't want to play it, I could always sit out and watch. And then, after sitting out for so long, I finally decided to get out there and play. And you know what, I finally loved the game for the fun of it!

But anyway, bottom line, they shouldn't have banned the game. If the kids complain about it, just simply tell them to play a different game. That's all you can do!