The Terror America Wrought

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
By Robert Scheer
During a week of mayhem in Iraq, in which terrorists have rightly been condemned for targeting schoolchildren, it is sobering to recall that this week is also the 62nd anniversary of a U.S. attack that deliberately took the lives of thousands of children on their way to school in the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. As noted in the Strategic Bombing Survey conducted at President Harry Truman’s request, when the bomb hit Hiroshima on April 6, 1945, “nearly all the school children ... were at work in the open,” to be exploded, irradiated or incinerated in the perfect firestorm that the planners back at the University of California-run Los Alamos lab had envisioned for the bomb’s maximum psychological impact.

The terror plot worked all too well, as Hiroshima’s Mayor Tadatoshi Akiba recalled this week: “That fateful summer, 8:15 a.m. The roar of a B-29 breaks the morning calm. A parachute opens in the blue sky. Then suddenly, a flash, an enormous blast—silence—hell on Earth.

The eyes of young girls watching the parachute were melted. Their faces became giant charred blisters. The skin of people seeking help dangled from their fingernails. ... Others died when their eyeballs and internal organs burst from their bodies—Hiroshima was a hell where those who somehow survived envied the dead.”

Like most of the others killed by the two American bombs, neither the children nor the adults had any role in Japan’s decision to go to war, but they were picked as the target instead of an isolated but fortified military base whose antiaircraft fire posed a higher risk. The target preferred by U.S. atomic scientists—a patch in the ocean or unpopulated terrain—was rejected, because the effect of hundreds of thousands of civilians dying would be all the more dramatic.

The victims in Hiroshima and Nagasaki were available soft targets, much like the children playing in Iraq, suddenly caught in the crossfire of battles waged beyond their control. In “White Light/Black Rain,” a devastating HBO documentary released this week, there is an interview with the sole survivor of a Japanese elementary school of 620 students. The murder of the other 619, and the 370,000 overall deaths attributed to the bombings, 85 percent of which were civilian deaths, has never compelled a widespread examination of the “end justifies the means” morality of our own state-sanctioned acts of terror. Indeed, the horrifying footage taken by Japanese and American cameramen soon after the devastation, and shown in the HBO film, was long kept secret by the U.S. government for fear that an informed American public might question this nation’s incipient nuclear arms race.

Just exactly what distinguishes the United States’ use of the ever-so-cutely-named “Fat Man” and “Little Boy” atomic bombs on cities in Japan from the car bombs of Baghdad or the planes that smashed into the World Trade Center? To even raise the question, as was found in one recent university case, can be a career-ending move.

Of course, we had our justifications, as terrorists always do. Truman defended his decision to drop the atomic bombs on civilians over the objection of leading atomic scientists on the grounds that it was a necessary military action to save lives by forcing a quick Japanese surrender. He insisted on that imperative despite the objections of top military figures, including Gen. Dwight Eisenhower, who contended that the war would end quickly without dropping the bomb.

The subsequent release of formerly secret documents makes a hash of Truman’s rationalization. His White House was fully informed that the Japanese were on the verge of collapse, and their surrender was made all the more likely by the Soviets’ imminent entry into the fight.

At most, the Japanese were asking for the face-saving gesture of retaining their emperor, and even that modest demand would likely have been abandoned with the shift of massive numbers of Allied troops and firepower from the battlefront of a defeated Germany to a confrontation with its deeply wounded Asian ally. Instead, the U.S. played midwife to the birth of the nuclear monster, the ultimate terrorist weapon that presents a continuing and growing threat to the survival of human life on Earth.

This is a lesson to be pondered at a time when President Bush plays power games with a nuclear-equipped Russia while coddling Pakistan, the main proliferator of nuclear weapons to rogue regimes, and Congress authorizes an expansion of the U.S. nuclear program to better fight the war on terror by “improving” the ultimate weapon of terror, which the U.S. alone stands guilty of using.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
President Bush plays power games with a nuclear-equipped Russia while coddling Pakistan, the main proliferator of nuclear weapons to rogue regimes

A powerful statement -- and every word of it is true.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
And Pakistan, like India, thank Canada for the export of Can-du reactors that allowed their nuclear dreams to be realized.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
What Bull!

The other thread had the revisionist crying for the Christians of Nagasaki.........this one it is the children. Next I suppose it will be the little puppies and kittens.

Perhaps the Japanese.......fully and enthusiastically supported by the population.........should have stayed the hell away from Pearl Harbour.........and Hong Kong, and the Philipines, and all of rest of Asia they conquered and brutally ruled. These guys made the Germans look like Angels of Mercy on parade............

As well, the shift of troops from liberated Europe to the Aisan theatre would have taken MONTHS, during which combat and conventional bombing (which in one night killed 150,000 in Tokyo) would have continued. Does this idiot even consider that months of combat and bombing would have killed hundreds of thousands in its own right?

I really don't feel like repeating myself, but this can't remain unchallenged, so

I can understand the argument that the targeting of civilian populations in bombing campaigns is questionable at best. Unfortunately, in the modern industrialized world, and with the advent of total war (the practise of turning the nation's entire production to war material), the population becames, as producers, a valuable asset in the military machine in ways it never was before, and therefore a target. As well, in the modern world, no government exists without at least the acquiestence of the population at large, therefore they are partially responsible for the actions of the elites. Finally, the civilian population must be convinced of the nation's defeat. Germany, at the end of the first world war, was untouched, its civilian population disbelieved the depth of their own defeat, and were therefore willing to accept the idea of "betrayal" by (somehow) the Jews......all a factor in the re-emergence of German military might, the rise of Hitler.....and World War Two.

Then there is, last but not least, the argument that the nuking saved millions of lives in the long run.........

So, what is your opinion on the one-night conventional raid on Tokyo, which killed 150,000 civilians? Is that somehow less "barbaric" than the attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Of course mass air raids on civilians are barbaric..........the question is was such barbary necessary?

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
I hate to say anything here but my parents have pictures of everyone celebrating on the streets of Canada when Nagasaki and Hiroshima were bombed and they celebrated both VE day earlier and VJ day later on that year.....

Selective memories ? Preferential forgetting.

Minority Observer84

Theism Exorcist
Sep 26, 2006
The Capitol
As well, the shift of troops from liberated Europe to the Aisan theatre would have taken MONTHS, during which combat and conventional bombing (which in one night killed 150,000 in Tokyo) would have continued.
What incident are you refering to the bombing in Nagasaki is estimated to have killed between 39,000–108,000 which is why the number of 150000 dead in one night seems a little big .

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
What incident are you refering to the bombing in Nagasaki is estimated to have killed between 39,000–108,000 which is why the number of 150000 dead in one night seems a little big .

You are quite correct, 150,000 is a little high. I was going from memory, and when I looked it up, most sources quote 100,000. Still enough to make the point.....but I am sorry about my mistake.

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines05/0310-08.htm

This site will tell you the story.......

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
People do forget about the sustained firebombing campaign of the Allies against Japanese residential areas. Not just a-bombs over Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Dresden, over and over and over again.

However, as Colpy points out Japan was the aggressor, and behaved monstrously during their entire campaign.

Was it Blake who cautioned us to be careful when battling monsters, that we do not become one?

Pangloss

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
I hate to say anything here but my parents have pictures of everyone celebrating on the streets of Canada when Nagasaki and Hiroshima were bombed and they celebrated both VE day earlier and VJ day later on that year.....

Selective memories ? Preferential forgetting.

Pictures of everyone celebrating? :lol:

Perhaps the few people that had family fighting over there, and the few with radios being fed the propaganda and it`s results.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
Perhaps this is the place to use some peoples favorite arguement when saying the general populace in the US is too blame for our leadership?

Some people say we deserved 9/11...so along that same line of reasoning, the Germans and Japanese deserved their Hiroshima's and Dresden's.

Or is it a totally different situation?

The Holocaust not withstanding, it seems some people's selective memories eliminate the Japanese treatment of the Phillipines, and the Rape of Nanking..

I'm just sayin..

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Perhaps this is the place to use some peoples favorite arguement when saying the general populace in the US is too blame for our leadership?

Some people say we deserved 9/11...so along that same line of reasoning, the Germans and Japanese deserved their Hiroshima's and Dresden's.

The Holocaust not withstanding, it seems some people's selective memories eliminate the Japanese treatment of the Phillipines, and the Rape of Nanking..

I'm just sayin..

Deserved and Caused sometimes look a lot alike.

Minority Observer84

Theism Exorcist
Sep 26, 2006
The Capitol

I'm just sayin..
Not to mention the treatment of prisoners of war and the pimping out of Korean and Chinese women to Japanese troops.