Dual Citizenship when country at war

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Should dual citizen Canadian/Israeli be allowed to travel to countries at war with Israel under their Canadian passport?

Two Israeli journalists scrap ethics for scoop
Jewish reporters endanger lives of lebanese citizens interviewed under false pretenses
By Nour Samaha
Daily Star staff
Tuesday, July 17, 2007

BEIRUT: When two Israeli re-porters entered Lebanon under false pretenses last week to conduct reports on Lebanese life a year after the summer 2006 war with Israel, they not only broke Lebanese law, but also violated codes of ethics in journalism and endangered the lives of those they interviewed, according to professors and residents who spoke to The Daily Star Monday. Lisa Goldman and Rinat Malkes flew into Lebanon from Amman on their respective Canadian and Brazilian passports. Both Israeli citizens, both working on reports to be published in Israel - a country officially in a state of war with Lebanon - they embarked on deceiving Lebanese officials and the general public in order to get their exclusive scoops...

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/article.asp?edition_id=1&categ_id=2&article_id=83870

This Canadian citizen doesn't seem to have consider the impact of their actions on other Canadians travelling in the middle east.

Its not as bad as this...

MacLean's
Canadian Passport Abuse

Khaled Meshal knows he is lucky to be alive - even if he remains mystified about precisely what it was that almost killed him. "It happened all of a sudden," recalled the 41-year-old Palestinian, politburo chief of the militant Hamas, the Islamic Resistance Movement, as he recounted the bizarre details of his brush with death on Sept. 25. Accompanied by three of his sons and two bodyguards, Meshal was approaching his office in the bustling heart of Amman, Jordan's hilly capital city, when two men clad in blue jeans and T-shirts pounced upon him. One threw an arm around Meshal's neck, then brought a metal device wrapped in white cloth near his face. "I don't remember them touching me," Meshal said late last week as, fully recovered, he relaxed in his modest home in a middle-class sector of Amman. "But in my left ear, from the back of my head, there was a loud sound, a ringing. I got the chills, like I had been electrocuted. After that, I don't know anything."

The Hamas leader may have no memory, but what happened next was almost as strange as the incident itself - a tangled tale of Middle Eastern intrigue. Like any good spy story, it involves shadowy agents, murderous encounters, lethal gadgets and international double-dealing. Unlike espionage sagas, however, Canada is implicated, if only as an aggrieved - and highly indignant - victim. Israel, Jordan and the Palestinians who live in both countries are the principal players in the affair. But Canada's involvement is significant enough to have chilled diplomatic relations between Ottawa and Israel. It resulted in the recall "for consultations" late last week of Canada's ambassador to Israel, an official signal of displeasure proposed by Foreign Affairs Minister Lloyd Axworthy and sanctioned by Prime Minister Jean Chrétien, both of whom, according to a senior Ottawa adviser, "are mightily pissed off" at Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's government in Jerusalem. Passports are the reason for Canada's official ire: the fact that Meshal's assailants were masquerading as a pair of Canadian tourists. While details remain unclear, it appears that the two men who attacked the Hamas leader had entered Jordan along with three male companions, all of them travelling on tourist visas stamped into forged or doctored Canadian passports....

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=M1ARTM0011418

But you can see why travelling to the middle east as a Canadian has been made riskier.

Should Israeli Candians be allowed to travel throughout the middle east on their Canadian passports?

iARTthere4iam

Electoral Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pointy Rocks
If a person is a Canadian and has a legitimate Canadian passport I don't think that there is a way to restrict where they travel with it. However the second article about the doctored Canadian passports should be treated as the serious infraction that it is. The government of Israel has, in this case, violated our laws.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
We don't watch over this stuff anywhere near as much as we should. Passports shouldn't be used of anything other than their intended use and for those caught abusing it under dual citizenship, it should be revoked along with their citizenship to Canada. If they were born here, then a proper amount of house arrest, and education on why screwing around with passports causes problems for the rest of us.

Phil B

Electoral Member
Mar 17, 2007
Brighton,UK
We don't watch over this stuff anywhere near as much as we should. Passports shouldn't be used of anything other than their intended use and for those caught abusing it under dual citizenship, it should be revoked along with their citizenship to Canada. If they were born here, then a proper amount of house arrest, and education on why screwing around with passports causes problems for the rest of us.

In the case of the doctored documents I agree completely as that is illegal anywhere, define dual national abuse though - I use my British passport to travel in Europe - so no border controls per se, go to Canada - obviously I use my Canadian passport, but if I travel anywhere else I use whichever is the safest/easiest passport to travel on..

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I don't believe you can "abuse" dual citizenship. Dual citizens are the same as any other Canadian citizen under our laws aren't they?

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
In the case of the doctored documents I agree completely as that is illegal anywhere, define dual national abuse though - I use my British passport to travel in Europe - so no border controls per se, go to Canada - obviously I use my Canadian passport, but if I travel anywhere else I use whichever is the safest/easiest passport to travel on..

Well one of the things that bothered me where those people living in Beruit when Israel went after them. We jumped to provide aid and help remove them from harms way, and that's fine, but some haven't been to Canada in years and years. Expired passports and citizenship only in that they aren't cancelled if you swear alliegence to another country. That isn't what Canada should be about. Something to look good when you want to get into another country.

If you are Canadian, you should be Canadian and participate in our country in voting, in taxes to support our country and while I can understand living abroad for a few years, you should be back to live for some length of time in ten years.

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
If you are Canadian, you should be Canadian and participate in our country in voting, in taxes to support our country and while I can understand living abroad for a few years, you should be back to live for some length of time in ten years.

A similar rule does exist, for permanent residents. Unless accompanied by their Canadian spouse while out of the country, if Canadian permanent residents remain at large for too long (ie stay out of the county for an extended period of time), they WILL lose their residency. Same applies to US residency (there if you are a permanent resident, you can get a passport like travel document that allows you to remain out of the country for a maximum period of 2 years).

However, if you are a citizen of a country by birth, you should not lose your citizenship, even if you remain out of the country for an extended period of time. Let's say I am a Canadian by birth, and I also hold US residency, does that mean if I live in the US for a period of 10 years as a US resident that I will need to relinquish my Canadian citizenship? If that's the case, then I have a question. What country would I be a citizen of?

If anything, we should consider restrictions on dual citizenship.

McDonald

Nominee Member
Jan 23, 2006
Chicoutimi, Québec
www.myspace.com
One of the fundamental freedoms assured to us by the Charter is the right to leave and enter Canada freely as we choose; the right to live elsewhere if we choose. A Canadian citizen is a Canadian, period. There are no classes of citizenship. I think that abuse of a Canadian passport is a serious crim and one should be punished for it, but Canadian citizenship cannot be lost unwillingly, it must be willingly relenquished.

I am a dual citizen as well, I was born that way. I have two passports and I fully observe all laws when using either one. I only use my American passport to enter that country, and only because it's the law.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
The difference here is that Lebanon does not allow Israeli citizens to enter Lebanon. Technically Israel and Lebanon are in a state of war. Whereas the examples above, you could travel to those countries legally on either citizenship.

That Canadian/Israeli citizen/journalist used their Candian passport to gain access to an country where they are not allowed due to their Israeli citizenship. It would the same problem if a Lebanese Canadian dual citizen used their Canadian passport to gain entry to Israel.

If a country doesn't allow you in because of one citizenship then you should not be allowed to travel to the country on your other citizenship. If you are dual citizen you should have to declare both when travelling and avoid going to countries where one of citizenships could cause a problem.

If Lebanon discovered that this person was also Israeli, they would have been locked up. Would Canada or Israel be responsible for negotiating their release? I think because of this, the person should not have put Canada in a situation where they might have to bail them out.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
The way I see it it's between the citizen and the country he's travelling in. The pasport verifies Canadian citizenship, nothing more. Lebanon's policies towards Israeli citizens is none of Canada's concern.

I really don't see why we should trouble ourselves for being a detriment to racist discriminatory policy anyhow.

sine000

Electoral Member
Aug 14, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have 3 citizenship myself.....Canadian/Britain/Hong Kong

I call myself CANADIAN....even though now i do not live in Hong Kong (it was once leased to Britain from China)...I still get the benefits of being trio-citizenship...i see no wrong with it....

In the Canadian Charter of Right and Freedom ...Section 6(1)..which states....
6. (1) Every citizen of Canada has the right to enter, remain in and leave Canada.

AND ALSO...
In the Universial Declaration of Human Rights....Article 13 sub article 1 and 2 AND Article 15 subarticle 1 and 2...which states....

Article 13
(1) Everyone has the right to freedom of movement and residence within the borders of each state.(2) Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country.

Article 15
(1) Everyone has the right to a nationality.(2) No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his nationality nor denied the right to change his nationality.

I believe even though 2 countries are at war...you should still ENJOY the benefits of that country under the jurisdiction of the UNIVERSAL DECLARATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS