Common citizenship for Canada and the US?

Do you support a common citizenship and passport for Canadians and Americans?

• Yes.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • No.

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Should Canada and the US adopt a common citizenship and passport?

Please do not read between the lines. This does not include political union or anything else. Just take it at face value (i.e. common citizenship and nothing more). The two nations would remain sovereign otherwise.

Support or oppose?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I vote yes. As to whether I'd be in favour of a united nation between the two, I'd be hesitant; the two nations are still quite different.

But a common citizenship could lay the foundations of a common culture in future, even if generations later, as more people cross the border on both sides.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Would that mean passport holders from Canada could no longer vacation in Cuba? Citizenship has a lot of tax treaty issues to overcome. Probably more red tape than it would be worth.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Good points. I guess we'd have to negotiate that. One possibility would be to make a distinction between citizen and resident. So US law would apply to US residents only, not US citizens. Same with Canadian law. As such, holders of this common citizenship who reside in the US would no longer be allowed to go to Cuba. This woudl have advantages in that the US government could then better control its residents (if you're a Canadian resident in the US this would then apply to you too).

But this would also allow Canada to better control its residents (the US would no longer be allowed to impose its rules on holders of this common citizenship residing in Canada, so if you reside in Canada, you're free to go to Cuba. That could be a solution, and in this sense could even strengthen national sovereignty on both sides of the border in terms of imposing laws on residents rather than citizens. And this would fgive the individual more freedom too with the option of residing out of country more easily. A next step for democracy if you will.

triedit

inimitable
Nope. Im perfectly happy not being allowed to go to Cuba.

Citizenship is a huge deal for me. And a passport is proof of citizenship in my eyes. Travel between the two countries is easy enough already. I don't think either country's citizens should be allowed more freedom than they already have.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I want a common citizenship with Mexico so I can have access to quality hot sauce and taco's.
There's a 14-foot ladder by a 12-foot fence in Mew Mexico that is commonly used for cross border anything.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
One more little slice taken away from the Canadian identity.
Nah we need to remain our own country and make our own rules. The more the US dictates to us, the less we really own or deserve this country. Getting across the border is fine for those who want to go. Remember, there is a big world out there and once you get to know it, you might find Cheese Burgers and Peelers a little low brow. ;)

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
Nope. Im perfectly happy not being allowed to go to Cuba.

Citizenship is a huge deal for me. And a passport is proof of citizenship in my eyes. Travel between the two countries is easy enough already. I don't think either country's citizens should be allowed more freedom than they already have.

yes yes yes...Canadians happliy go off to Cuba for a cheap vacation having no idea that there money fuels a dictatorship that is so terrible that people are willing to float cars across the ocean to Florida!!

I have my concerns with the U.S. system compared to ours...I really don't like the complete open gun policy etc. But on the international stage we are one and the same, same people, same culture, same outlook, for that there should be special relations between the two. A North American citizen card with access somewhat like the EU would fair very well for North America. If only Canada would stop feeling so inferior it could work.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The two countries are presently working to remove non-resident withholding taxes. One small step in progress.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
One more little slice taken away from the Canadian identity.
Nah we need to remain our own country and make our own rules. The more the US dictates to us, the less we really own or deserve this country. Getting across the border is fine for those who want to go. Remember, there is a big world out there and once you get to know it, you might find Cheese Burgers and Peelers a little low brow. ;)

Identity is not so simply defined, and varies from person to person. For me, my identity is quite individual. I know what I am and need no law to confirm it. I don't think it's the government's job to maintain identity as if we are little babies. I'll giv e an example:

A few years ago I was having a conversation with a fellow compatriot about American programming in Canada. She was in favour of laws to censor American programming on TV and radio, and magazines, etc. while I was arguing that we should not make any distinction between foreign and Canadian content. Let the best survive.

Here's the strange thing though: she was an avid television viewer while I'm your typical bookworm. So she knew more American programmes than I did!

She was quite embarrassed when I, the one who was arguing that we should allow for more cultural freedom in the press, on TV and on the radio, had to ask her to explain some of the various American shows on TV 'cause I wasn't familiar with all of them. And yet she was the one huffing and puffing about identity.

So finally I told her, if she doesn't like it, then just stop watching it.

As for citizenship, that would be a legal issue, not one of cultural identity. Some in Quebec call themselves Quebecois first, Canadian second, despite common legal citizenship. So what are you suggesting; that we ought to kick them out to protect their identity? The EU should dissolve? What about the UN? If we argue that our identity is dependent upon law, then our identity is threatenned on all sides. If our identity is from within, there is nothing to fear mon ami.

By the way, as a proud Canadian, can you speak French? 'Cause I can.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Without getting too deep into that Book I like to read often....
We are told to judge a tree by its fruit..
So, why not evaluate a system by its results?
When I mean results, I mean quality of life, what is the future for our children..

Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
(King James Bible, Matthew 5: 15-16)

Today it is rendered:

ye are the light of your country. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the room (for the doors are shut). Let your light so shine before your compatriots, that they may see your good works, and glorify your flag which is on the pole.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
No.

There'd be 30 million people living here in Florida if this happened.

Come on Toro, Canada doesn't have 30 million retired folks, besides... there is not enough trailer parks in Florida to support our whole country. :lol:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Identity is not so simply defined, and varies from person to person. For me, my identity is quite individual. I know what I am and need no law to confirm it. I don't think it's the government's job to maintain identity as if we are little babies. I'll giv e an example:

A few years ago I was having a conversation with a fellow compatriot about American programming in Canada. She was in favour of laws to censor American programming on TV and radio, and magazines, etc. while I was arguing that we should not make any distinction between foreign and Canadian content. Let the best survive.

Here's the strange thing though: she was an avid television viewer while I'm your typical bookworm. So she knew more American programmes than I did!

She was quite embarrassed when I, the one who was arguing that we should allow for more cultural freedom in the press, on TV and on the radio, had to ask her to explain some of the various American shows on TV 'cause I wasn't familiar with all of them. And yet she was the one huffing and puffing about identity.

So finally I told her, if she doesn't like it, then just stop watching it.

As for citizenship, that would be a legal issue, not one of cultural identity. Some in Quebec call themselves Quebecois first, Canadian second, despite common legal citizenship. So what are you suggesting; that we ought to kick them out to protect their identity? The EU should dissolve? What about the UN? If we argue that our identity is dependent upon law, then our identity is threatenned on all sides. If our identity is from within, there is nothing to fear mon ami.

By the way, as a proud Canadian, can you speak French? 'Cause I can.

Not sure I understand what you're getting at. You don't watch much tv so ergo, you're closer to understanding your national identity?

I think French Canadians have and can enjoy a distinct culture and heritage within Canadian nationality. Like First Nation People. But like everything that is worth while, it requires working on it and teaching it to children so that they carry on with it as they grow and become adults. Canada is a better place for that.

The EU does what the EU does. I don't care much about that as I don't go visit the EU I go to London, France, Greece and Germany. But you can't really say that when the Ukraine was annexed by Russia as part of the Soviet Union, they weren't culturaly and nationally altered. And that is how it would be here should the US decide it's time to control our land. Only instead of holocaust at the point of a gun, it's arrests, internment for the upstarts and a hostile take over of convenience for those who will just go along to get along.

I don't buy the nothing to fear line. The French had plenty to fear when the Germans rolled over the border.