"And that is that, the end," Blair tells the Commons as he stands down.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Blair signed off 10 years and 55 days in power as British Prime Minister by giving a speech to the House of Commons, which ended with the words, "And that is that, the end." He then took his seat, looking very emotional, as the whole house rose to their feet to give him a standing ovation. He then went to Buckingham palace to tell the Queen that he is standing down.

Gordon Brown is currently in Buckingham Palace for the Queen to make him her 11th (she now overtakes Queen Victoria for having more Prime Ministers than any other monarch), and Britain's 52nd, Prime Minister.

Between Blair leaving the Palace and Brown arriving to become the next PM, Britain was Prime Minister-less, and was effectively ruled by the Queen and civil servants - but only for 30-45 minutes.

Blair bows out to a standing ovation in the Commons

27th June 2007
Daily Mail

Tony Blair has officially resigned as Prime Minister after a decade in power.

A smiling Mr Blair emerged from Buckingham Palace, after officially tendering his resignation to the Queen.

Within minutes Gordon Brown had left the Treasury to head to the Palace where he will be officially handed power.

As he left, Mr Brown grinned and waved to supporters as his long-held ambition to become Prime Minister was just minutes away.

Mr Blair's visit to the Palace, accompanied by his wife Cherie, came just over an hour after his final appearance in the House of Commons where he received a standing ovation.

Mr Blair and his family pose outside No 10 minutes before the Prime Minister meets the Queen earlier today

He bowed out as Prime Minister to rapturous applause from both sides of the House following an emotional final Prime Minister's Questions.

He opened the session by telling the House of Commons that he was "truly sorry" for the dangers faced by Britain's armed forces in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"I know some may think they face these dangers in vain. I don't and I never will.

"I believe they are fighting for the security of this country in the wider world against people who would destroy our way of life."

Just minutes left in power: Blair heads to Buckingham Palace to resign

Gordon Brown leaves the Treasury to head to Buckingham Palace

Mr Blair's impromptu statement at the start of question time came after he was given a rousing farewell cheer by his backbenchers in a crowded House.

The outgoing Prime Minister left Downing Street just after 11am to host his last Prime Minister's Questions session before Gordon Brown takes the reigns as Prime Minister.

He opened his last appearance at the Commons despatch box with a sombre tribute to British Armed Forces serving in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"I have never come across people of such sustained dedication, courage and commitment," he told MPs.

Tony Blair attends his final Prime Minister's Questions at the Commons

"Whatever view people take of my decisions, I think there is only one view to take of them: they are the bravest and the best."

He added that he was "truly sorry" about the dangers faced by troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

He then began in traditional fashion by listing his engagements for the day - including the usual morning meetings with ministerial colleagues and others. "I will have no such further meetings today or any other day," he declared to laughter and cheers.

Mr Blair received a warm tribute from Conservative leader David Cameron, who hailed his "remarkable achievement" in serving as Prime Minister for 10 years.

Respect: Tony Blair receives a standing ovation during his last Commons appearance about an hour and a half ago

In place of the usual exchange of jibes and political taunts, the questions from the leader of the Opposition today featured a display of mutual respect and appreciation.

Mr Cameron told MPs: "For all of the heated battles across this despatch box, for 13 years he has led his party, for 10 years he has led our country, and no one can be in any doubt in terms of the huge efforts he has made in terms of public service."

Among Mr Blair's "considerable achievements", peace in Northern Ireland and his work in the developing world would long be remembered, said Mr Cameron. And, to approving murmurs from all sides of the chamber, he added: "I am sure that life in the public eye has sometimes been tough on his family.

"So can I say on behalf of my party that we wish him and his family well and we wish him every success in whatever he does in the future."

Mr Blair in his turn said he had always found Mr Cameron "proper, correct and courteous" in his dealings with him.

And he added with a smile: "Although I can't wish him well politically, nonetheless personally I wish both him and his family very well indeed."

He later broke the slightly subdued mood by telling MPs of an urgent letter which arrived by post yesterday at No 10.

"Details of employee leaving work. Surname: Blair; first name: T. It said actually: Mr, Mrs, Miss or other. This form is important to you, take good care of it, P45," he read to laughter.

He then brushed off a question about his successor Gordon Brown's reported views on the disestablishment of the Church of England, saying: "I think I'm really not bothered about that one."

Mr Blair had donned a red tie for his final Prime Minister's Questions and was flanked, as usual, by his deputy John Prescott and his successor Gordon Brown.

He raised a laugh at the expense of one of his chief euro-sceptic tormentors, Tory MP Sir Nicholas Winterton, by bidding him farewell in three European languages: "Au revoir, auf Wiedersehen, arrivederci".

The departing PM received a tribute from Democratic Unionist Party leader Ian Paisley, who said that while he had sometimes lost his temper with him in the course of negotiations over Northern Ireland, Mr Blair had always treated him with "the greatest of courtesy".

And he added: "We have made progress. Not as great a progress as I would like to see, but they are dedicated - the Unionist people that I speak for in this House - are dedicated to see this concluded."

Referring to Mr Blair's new job as Middle East peace envoy, Mr Paisley said: "I just want to say to the Prime Minister this one word: He has entered into another colossal task.

"I hope that what happened in Northern Ireland will be repeated and at the end of the day he will be able to look back and say it was well worthwhile."

The outgoing Prime Minister's final words to Parliament were: "I wish everyone, friend or foe, well and that is that, the end."

Mr Blair is later expected to announce that he is turning his back on British politics for good to take up a job as special envoy to the Middle East.

Speaking to the Commons about the Middle East he said he believed a solution could be found in the region but would take a "huge intensity of focus and work"

He is poised to resign as an MP later today - triggering a by-election in his constituency of Sedgefield, which could be held as early as July 19.

His decision to stand down after 24 years in Parliament will allow him to 'throw himself' into the role as the international community's key peacemaker in the Middle East, his close allies said.

Today at Downing Street, crowds of well-wishers and protesters gathering in Whitehall to cheer or jeer Mr Blair's final progress from Downing Street to the Commons, just after 11am, for his final Prime Minister's Questions.

Following Prime Minister's Questions Mr Blair headed back to 10 Downing Street where he was expected to give an emotional speech of farewell and thanks to his staff and closest aides.

Shortly after 1pm he will drive to Buckingham Palace with Cherie to offer his resignation to the Queen.

His resignation will pave the way for Gordon Brown to take the helm. The Chancellor is expected to visit the Queen at 1.30pm and, by 2pm, will officially be the country's new Prime Minister.

Mr Blair will quit as an MP for Sedgefield tonight, citing a new post as Middle East envoy as the reason, although his international role is expected to allow time for him to write his memoirs for around £5 million and join the lucrative US lecture circuit.

Mr Blair's early departure will mean an electrifying double-by-election, probably as early as 19 July in Sedgefield and Ealing Southall, the London seat vacated by the death of Piara Khabra.

It will be the first electoral test of the new political rivalry that will dominate Britain until the next election - Mr Brown versus David Cameron.

Mr Brown was up late into the night with his closest friends and advisers planning the launch of his new administration. He is expected to start with a bang - a sweeping reshuffle in which a businessman from outside politics will join the Government to symbolise his commitment to opening up Whitehall to "all the talents".

Up to seven Cabinet members will leave their jobs. Alistair Darling will replace Mr Brown as Chancellor, with Jack Straw tipped to be either Minister for Justice or Foreign Secretary.

In an olive branch to Blairites, John Hutton, the Work and Pensions Secretary once alleged to have said Mr Brown would be a "f*****g disastrous prime minister" is tipped to survive, and may replace Patricia Hewitt as Health Secretary.

Whitehall will be reorganised, with the old Department of Trade at the centre of reforms designed to promote competition, energy efficiency and major construction projects.

Tony Blair leaves Downing Street for his last Prime Minister's Questions session in Parliament

Mr Brown plans to echo his earliest political coup of making the Bank of England independent by giving more freedom to bodies that promote business policy and technology.

A YouGov poll for Sky News put the Conservatives on 37 per cent to Labour's 36. It vindicated Mr Brown's decision to emphasise change, with some 45 per cent of those polled saying that being "heir to Blair" was a "bad thing".

Mr Blair is the first prime minister to leave without being forced out by voters, their own party or illness in modern times. John Major, Margaret Thatcher and Sir Edward Heath were driven out while Harold Wilson retired due to ill- health.

An aide said Mr Blair was "having a very ordinary Wednesday morning, seeing people from 8am and then spending the morning prepping for Prime Minister's Questions. It will probably get a lot more emotional after that is over".

Labour Party chairwoman Hazel Blears said it was a "bitter-sweet day".

But the appointment of Mr Blair, which will place one of the key architects of the Iraq war at the heart of Palestinian politics, provoked widespread fury in the Arab world yesterday.

The Prime Minister was labelled by hardliners as a 'terrorist' who would not be welcome in the West Bank or Gaza.

There were even doubts among some European diplomats of Mr Blair's ability to win public support on the 'Arab street' because of his leading role in Iraq and his close relationship with George Bush.

Barring last minute wrangling, Mr Blair's new job is expected to be confirmed by the Quartet of the U.S., UN, EU and Russia later today after two days of discussions in Jerusalem. After the announcement, Mr Blair will go to Sedgefield to speak to local party members.

His decision to put Westminster behind him will also give his successor Gordon Brown breathing space without him 'hanging around on the backbenches', one ally said.

But it contradicts an emotional statement Mr Blair made last month that he will remain as MP for Sedgefield until the next election in 2008 or 2009.

His decision to quit Parliament is a bruising snub for his constituents, who voted him in with a majority of more than 18,000 two years ago and have loyally backed him since he first stood for the safe Labour seat in 1983.

His agent John Burton said: "I think, if he gets the Middle East job, he will resign as an MP."

Mr Blair made clear his enthusiasm for the role at his final No 10 Press conference alongside Arnold Schwarzenegger, the Governor of California.

He said: "I think that anybody who cares about greater peace and stability in the world knows that a lasting and enduring resolution of the Israeli-Palestinian issue is essential.

"As I have said on many occasions, I would do whatever I could to help such a resolution come about."

As peace envoy, Mr Blair will take the lead on Palestinian economic and political reform, working closely with president Mahmoud Abbas. Mr Blair has demanded a beefedup role which will stretch beyond his predecessor, former World Bank president James Wolfensohn.

His personal envoy to the Middle East, Lord Levy - who is also leaving his post - last night claimed Mr Blair had earned 'great respect' throughout the Arab world including Egypt and Jordan.

Lord Levy told Radio 4's PM programme: "He will bring a zeal and a zest to this role."

Scrum: The media gather outside Downing Street to capture Mr Blair's final journey as PM to the House of Commons

But the reaction in the region was far from friendly. Hamas spokesman Dr Fawzi Barhoom said: "Tony Blair has acted as a terrorist in many Arab and Muslim states such as Iraq, Afghanistan and Somalia.

"He has caused the death of many thousands of innocent people and destroyed the infrastructure of their countries.

"Blair has his own black fingerprints in the history of the Palestinian people. He had supported the Zionist occupation's terrorism and massacres against our people."

Abu Mujahee, spokesman for the Palestinian hardline group the Popular Resistance Committees, said: "This man, Tony Blair, has been a big failure in his own country and he is totally empty of ideas or solutions.

"Yet now the international community want to export him to us?"

A senior U.S. official said the Quartet had agreed on a beefed-up special envoy position, which will deal primarily with helping the Palestinian Authority build political institutions.

The post is expected to be unpaid but will come with staff and logistical support from the Quartet - likely to be worth around £100,000.

George Bush, who pushed for Mr Blair to be nominated, will endorse the appointment at a speech at a mosque in Washington later today.

Last night a U.S. official disputed reports Russia was holding up the official announcement. "The Russians are the least enthusiastic about creating the position and least enthusiastic about Blair, but they didn't object," the official said.

The Kremlin released a statement saying President Vladimir Putin gave his blessing to Blair's becoming the special envoy.

dailymail.co.uk