G8 emissions target 2050

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Can PM Harper and Pres Bush be any more cynical that to talk about emissions reductions by 2050? And at that, only cutting by HALF by 2050 - it would be so long "after the horse left the barn" that we might as well not do anything about emission reductions that cause global warming.

In fact, that is exactly what Bush and Harper want - nothing done, business as usual.

The essential issue now is to stop INCREASING emissions that cause global warming. We are 30% above 1990 levels, and the 2oC rise in average global temperatures will be surpassed by 2020 if we continue at this pace. 2oC rise is considered the final warning, and if we go beyond that we will have extremely damaging changes - its just too fast to adjust.

Beyond stopping the increases in GHGs [greenhouse gasses], we will have to get below 1990 levels, and fairly soon. A target of yr. 2020 for getting below 1990 levels is very much do-able, as Al Gore showed us in the move "I.T." The steps to be taken all i nvolve using less fossil fuels however, and Bush and Harper will fight any such actions.

All the economic fear-mongering is false - the only ones who will lose some profit are the ones who are currently making "the biggest profits in history of any corporation" [Exxon, Shell, etc. ] All we ask of them is to settle for a little less, or get on board to adjust their energy sales to renewables that are non-polluting. There will be lots of money in selling electricity from renewable energy. Renewable energy projectss will take time to set up - about 10 years to produce enough electricity to satisfy HALF our demands, which will rise when we drive electric cars.

Note - renewable energy like solar farms will actually be highly profitable over their lifetimes - for eg., an investment of $300 million now will return $2.8Billion over 20 years - a good investment. Same for anyone putting solar rooftop systems up - they will return a good profit. Electric cars can operate for as little as 2cents per mile [compared to gasoline engines which are costing us about 10cents per mile now]. There is NO economic disadvantage, except for the fat cats who now have the energy industry monopoly. They caused global warming, so they should at least "not get in the way of a solution", but they are.

IT IS CHEAPER, it makes better economic sense, to embrace renewables, but the major corporations that Harper and Bush love so much are not ready to give up their current energy monopoly. Our own "un-democratic leaders" are letting them get away with global warming. The majority of citizens in both nations want action now, we want to reduce our use of fossil fuels, that is our vision for our world, we must demand it be so. Our grandkids will not fogive us if we do not fight for it.

iARTthere4iam

Electoral Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pointy Rocks
I would gladly install a solar cells on my roof, fill my backyard with wind turbines, drive an electric car and all the rest if I could afford it. I cannot. So, I do understand that you are frustrated that the world does not reverse course on a dime and go "green" immediately but there are realities that prevent such an energy rennaisance. I must get to work and don't have and cant afford an electric car. I have to heat my home, I don't have the capital to yet buy wind turbines or solar cells or heat pumps. What I can do such as carpooling and increasing energy efficiency in my home. Although you specifically target Bush, Harper and the oil companies your comments are really about all of us and our energy needs.

iARTthere4iam

Electoral Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pointy Rocks
I would gladly install solar cells on my roof, fill my backyard with wind turbines, drive an electric car and all the rest if I could afford it. I cannot. So, I do understand that you are frustrated that the world does not reverse course on a dime and go "green" immediately but there are realities that prevent such an energy rennaisance. I must get to work and don't have and cant afford an electric car. I have to heat my home, I don't have the capital to yet buy wind turbines or solar cells or heat pumps. What I can do such as carpooling and increasing energy efficiency in my home, i do. Although you specifically target Bush, Harper and the oil companies (all easy targets) your comments are really about all of us and our energy needs.

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
I did not say "right now", in fact I was clearly saying we have to start now because it will take years to achieve the amount of energy from renweables that we need to beat global warming and give individuals the control over their own energy. I AM TRYING TO SAVE YOU MONEY.

But hey, just keep on you same old track and see where we end up, good plan dude.

iARTthere4iam

Electoral Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pointy Rocks
You seem to suggest that corporations love to waste and will fight any reduction in consuption. Nothing could be further from the truth. It is in my best interest and the best interest of all consumers of energy (including corporations) to use less energy. It is cheaper. That is reason enough. Damaging industry through punative tax measures is absurd and childish. Invest money in wind, solar, geothermal, tidal, hydroelectric, and nuclear and let these technologies replace the old inefficient ones. It is that simple.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
all i know is in my short visit here to planet earth I can recall a different sky than my childhood in the 60's....still a different one than the 80's...there is a dimming to the planet .colour is no longer viewed the same even.

Couple years back we were in halifax and then drove towards home and pushed fast to get to Quebec city by air conditioned van....The smell was autrocious as you exited the car...We were stunned at the diference in air quality....the next day it was a push to Toronto where we still could smell foul air..eventually it no longer smelled, but a weekend in Barrie and a short ride home in a closed car will do the same for ya....... I mean come on, it's time for draconian measures now.

These are lame politicians defering the problem to yet again a later generation...

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
You seem to suggest that corporations love to waste and will fight any reduction in consuption. Nothing could be further from the truth. It is in my best interest and the best interest of all consumers of energy (including corporations) to use less energy. It is cheaper. That is reason enough. Damaging industry through punative tax measures is absurd and childish. Invest money in wind, solar, geothermal, tidal, hydroelectric, and nuclear and let these technologies replace the old inefficient ones. It is that simple.

Odd that GM and others would refuse to lease, the EV1 then have the remaining ones that never seemed to breakdown much crushed.

If there are billions of dollars to be made in aftermarket parts while next to nothing to be made switching to another format of transportation, do you really wonder why a corporation would inhibit the changes?

iARTthere4iam

Electoral Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pointy Rocks
Odd that GM and others would refuse to lease, the EV1 then have the remaining ones that never seemed to breakdown much crushed.

If there are billions of dollars to be made in aftermarket parts while next to nothing to be made switching to another format of transportation, do you really wonder why a corporation would inhibit the changes?

Don't buy GM. Buy from companies that sell the products that you want to buy and punish (by not purchasing) companies that you feel are repressing good technology. GM and others will get the hint and change their policies accordingly. The aftermarket for existing technology does not rule the world, but is only one aspect of a bigger picture.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
I would gladly install solar cells on my roof, fill my backyard with wind turbines, drive an electric car and all the rest if I could afford it. I cannot.

I hear you, I would also love to do all those things ( to spite the utility companies as much as anything :angryfire: ) but also can't afford it. Tell what you can afford though...trees. Works wonders for us. Surrounded our house in trees. Now, in the summer, we don't even need the AC, the trees keep us cool. In the winter, the leaves fall off, let the sun through and presto...instant solar heating through the window. It's not perfect, and I would still love to add solar panels and windmills some day, but in the meantime the trees are our friends.

Granted in will take a few years for them to get to a good size....all the more reason to get planting now! :smile: