Brits work longer than anyone else in the developed world

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Canadians, Americans, French, Germans, Spanish, Italians, Japanese - you're all lazy......

Britons work longer hours than anyone else in the developed world
7th June 2007
Daily Mail

Work, work, work: Britons spend more time at work than any other developed nation - much longer even than the Americans who are often said to work the longest

More than 600 million people worldwide work excessively long hours, with Peruvians topping the list and Britons the worst offenders amongst rich nations.

A report on working trends in 50 countries released today by the International Labour Organisation, the United Nations agency said progress towards a maximum 48-hour week was still uneven nearly 100 years after the standard was agreed by ILO members.

More than half (50.9 per cent) of Peruvians work more than 48 hours a week followed by South Koreans (49.5), Thais (46.7) and Pakistanis (44.4).

In developed countries, where working hours are generally shorter, 25.7 per cent of British workers put in more than 48 hours a week followed by Israelis (25.5), Australians (20.4), Swiss (19.2) and U.S. workers (18.1).

"The good news is that progress has been made in regulating normal working hours in developing and transition countries, but overall the findings of this study are definitely worrying," said Jon C. Messenger, co-author of the ILO study.

The ILO says shorter working hours benefit workers' health and family lives, reduce accidents at the workplace and generally make workers more productive.

The growth of service industries, such as tourism and transport, and the expanding informal economy, where workers are not under contract, contributed to longer working hours, the ILO said.

Both elements are signs of increasing globalisation, it said.

dailymail.co.uk

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The Brits do the same things as we do.....it just takes them longer...

Except for sex...:cool::p

lenny henry

May 25, 2007
perhaps its because they want to get things done and to a high standard unlike other countries......

and the reason why america is so far down, well those burgers dont eat themselves.

"The Brits do the same things as we do.....it just takes them longer..."
i doubt it with your poor math and science skills

"except for sex" wehey weve got a comedian on this thread

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
perhaps its because they want to get things done and to a high standard unlike other countries......

and the reason why america is so far down, well those burgers dont eat themselves.

Who definis this "high standard"? I remember when Jaguars were built in Britain... they certainly lacked in quality.

Is it paid tea time yet?

Our poor math and science skills? care to back that up?

Juan is a comedian, I advise you to laugh. :knob:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

It might be advisable to be here a bit longer and get to know the posters a little better before you take offense at what are for the most part, attempted humourous jibes. In the meantime, welcome to Canadian Content. I hope you can enjoy your time here.