The American girl who told the Queen "I love you"

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The girl who told the Queen 'I love you'

9th May 2007
Daily Mail

The Queen appeared more touched than at any other time during her US visit when a sick little girl gave her a card saying, "I Love Queen Elizabeth".

Porsche Rogers is wide-eyed and solemn - and dressed in her favourite tiara for the occasion - as she hands the Queen her note

Her Majesty smiled as she was presented with the message by six-year-old Porsche Rogers during a visit to the Children’s National Medical Center in Washington.

Porsche’s mother said she has been talking about the Queen all week, even during her treatment for her troubled heart and failing kidneys.

The Queen's response? A beaming smile from the monarch

The Queen also made a gentle dig at U.S. President George Bush in return for a gaffe he made several days earlier.

For the millions who followed the queen's trip to the former British colonies of Virginia and Maryland (lost by George III, her great-great-great-great grandfather), to Kentucky and to the current capital, the most memorable moment may have come Monday morning at the White House when Dubya - as the U.S. president is called colloquially - winked at Her Majesty.

He had stumbled on a line in his speech, saying that she had helped the United States "celebrate its bicentennial in 17 ... ." Bush caught himself and corrected the date to 1976.

He paused, winked, and looked to see if the queen had taken offense.

1776 cannot be a favorite year for the queen: it is the year her ancestor King George III lost his richest colony.

"She gave me a look that only a mother could give a child," the president said, recovering quickly after the queen had muttered something not picked up by nearby microphones.

When asked Tuesday what she had told him, Bush deferred, perhaps deciding to keep his own memento of the visit to himself.

"Nah, she didn't say anything," he told reporters.

On Tuesday night, before boarding a plane to take her back to England, the 81-year-old Queen toasted her country's close relationship to the United States at a dinner she hosted at the British embassy.

She began the toast carefully crafted in the kind of humour favored by Bush.

"I wondered whether I should start this toast by saying, 'When I was here in 1776..."' she said to laughter.

Parry, thrust: The Queen teases US President George Bush about his gaffe from several days earlier

The dinner and the visit to the children's hospital came on the final day of her six-day tour held in honour of the 500th anniversary of the first British colony in the New World.

The Queen also visited the Nasa Goddard Space Centre in Maryland, where she listened as astronauts spoke via satellite link.

She toured an archaelogical site at historic Jamestown, Virginia, site of the first British colony in America, and attended a white-tie dinner hosted by President George Bush in her honour.

She also met Second World War veterans before being given a military farewell at the Andrews Air Force base as she boarded her plane home.

dailymail.co.uk

Last edited: