Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
HARRY SOLDIERS DO A SPARTACUS

EXCLUSIVE: Troops wear target T-shirt

By Chris Hughes Security Correspondent

03/05/2007

The Mirror

Soldiers show defiance, in a very British way, to the militants who want to kill Prince Harry

For Grandmother and Country: Prince Harry's posting to Iraq is imminent

BRITISH soldiers are heading for Iraq wearing T-shirts saying "I'm Harry" in a show of defiance at rebels intent on harming the prince.​

The move, which echoes a legendary scene of solidarity in movie Spartacus, comes days before the royal is deployed to the frontline.​

Militants have pledged to kill Prince Harry but fellow troops are putting on a humorous display of camaraderie about the threat.​

Their khaki tops feature a telescopic sight target on the chest and "I'm Harry" scrawled in bloodred dye.​

A senior military source said: "Soldiers are well known for having operational tour T-shirts and also for pulling together to support each other. Prince Harry is highly respected by his comrades as a young officer and for what he is doing in the Armed Forces.​

"I wouldn't be surprised if all his troops haven't bought them to demonstrate their support for him as their leader and also to help donate some money to the Army Benevolent Fund."​

The £19.95 shirt is being sold on eBay and advertised under a rallying call of "I'm Spartacus, I'm Harry, We're all Harry now. Confuse the enemy, wear the T-shirt". It is meant to copy a scene in the classic 1960 film Spartacus when Kirk Douglas's character is protected from Romans hunting him down after a battle.​

Captured slaves are urged to hand over Spartacus for crucifixion - but instead they all stand up and claim to be him. The eBay seller believes if British soldiers in Iraq are wearing the T-shirts it will confuse the terrorists and they will not know who to assassinate.​

He says a percentage of all purchases will go to the British Army Benevolent Fund - although he does not say how much.​

Last night it was believed some of the soldiers being deployed to Iraq with Harry in the coming weeks have bought the shirts. Prince Harry - or Cornet Wales, as he is known in his Blues and Royals regiment - will head to Iraq with his 11-strong unit.​

Yesterday the Mirror revealed top brass will send SAS troops with the prince to help keep insurgents away. His role has been changed to keep him out of danger.​

Last night Clarence House declined to comment on the shirts.​

mirror.co.uk​

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Uh, yeah, that'll do it. Because goodness knows, when trying to identify someone, you always look for what name's printed on their t-shirt. Hi, nice to meet you, you must be Adidas.

Do they honestly think the militants are complete morons?

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
karrie, karrie... you're not thinking right honey. Gucci, Versace maybe, but Adidas?? No, no, no... :D

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
karrie, karrie... you're not thinking right honey. Gucci, Versace maybe, but Adidas?? No, no, no... :D

Gucci and Versace make t-shirts with their logo written across the chest? I wouldn't have pegged them for something so lowerclass. lol.

But,then again, I live I've always lived in the northern provinces. If there are such high class t-shirts, I'd have no chance to see them. lol.

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
lol. The prices of these two, I think one was around £2-230, and the other over £300...

algy21

May 9, 2007
The 'I'm Harry' T-Shirt story started as an idea and has since taken on an apparently almost mythical status across the web. I'm Spartacus, I'm Harry, We're all Harry now is a simple enough message. Confuse the Enemy we said. And everyone seems to agree. The Insurgents, the extremists use the web (our web/their web) to PR their views and foment the fear, so we thought hang on - why are we running scared? Spartacus we thought. And that great bond of numbers. And bravery beyond the call of duty. Harry's got that and we're with him. The US soldiers have that. In spades. And we're with them too. Hence www.imharry.com.

The viral development of 'I'm Harry' was part planning, part inspired, part word of mouth and a dose of luck. We're not showing death and destruction, incarceration and executions on the internet. We're showing - and sharing - intellect,defiance and humour. 'I'm Harry' makes you think, it gets people talking and gets our soldiers back on the international agenda. Oh and it sticks two fingers up at the enemy.
There have been hundreds of orders from around the world. From the Canada, the US, Chile, South Africa, Singapore, Malaysia, New Zealand and of course Europe and in particular the UK. There have also been imitators, rip- off artists and the usual bottom feeders trying to cash in on something that’s working and putting their fakes out there. Sad for them. Sad because they don't get it. Never will. But the original has caught something - something original, something new, something that makes a difference- call it zeitgeist - call it mood - call it attitude - but it puts a smile on the face of those wearing the shirt and a pride in sharing the message. We're proud of it. Any questions - www.imharry.com or imharry@btinternet.com. You know what - we're not going away.