Building of new giant aircraft carriers is given the go-ahead

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
£2bn Navy ships get the OK

Awesome .. the Royal Navy's new giant carriers - the Queen Elizabeth Class - will be twice the size of its current ones. They'll be the largest warships in Western Europe and the largest ever built in Britain.

By JOHN KAY
Chief Reporter
and TOM NEWTON-DUNN
Defence Editor
April 21, 2007

ROYAL Navy top brass were cock-a-hoop last night after the go-ahead was given to build new super aircraft carriers each worth £2BILLION.

Senior Service chiefs feared plans for the “floating battlefields” may be axed because of budget cuts.

But defence chiefs and Government officials decided they were crucial if Britain is to keep its place as a world military power.

The move will create jobs in Portsmouth, Hampshire, and the Clyde shipyards in Scotland where the 60,000-tonne HMS Queen Elizabeth II and sister ship HMS Prince of Wales will be built.

The vessels — each one of which can carry 50 aircraft including fighters and bombers and serve all three forces at once — will come into service between 2012 and 2015.

They will replace our three existing aircraft carriers — Illustrious, Ark Royal and Invincible — and are TWICE the size of the dated vessels which can launch only Harrier Jump Jets.

They will give Britain massive extra military muscle and mean the RAF will no longer need to seek permission to overfly other nations.

A military source said: “They can just park up six miles offshore from an enemy country and deliver devastating firepower.

“They’ll give a vastly increased range to anything the RAF could offer. Just the threat of deploying them may make hostile nations see sense.”

A top Naval source said: “This means Britain will remain a significant military power.”

It is thought the decision was made after criticism of the Government over its plans to mothball Navy frigates and destroyers.

The ships will be built by a consortium of BAe Systems and VT Group which have yards on the Clyde and at Portsmouth.

They will have a “ski-jump” and a “catapult” for launching planes. Aircraft will be able to land vertically after missions.

Former Navy officer Mike Critchley, of Warship World magazine, said of the vessels: “They put the Navy back in the First Division.”

thesun.co.uk

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Sooo, Blackleaf:

Was this posted because you're interested in planes or boats or Brits? Just trying to find out where you want this thread to go.

Pangloss

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
he's british and he posts british news articles mostly. I suppose he wants to give the canadians the heads-up on what's going on over the other side.

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
£2bn Navy ships get the OK

Awesome .. the Royal Navy's new giant carriers - the Queen Elizabeth Class - will be twice the size of its current ones. They'll be the largest warships in Western Europe and the largest ever built in Britain.

By JOHN KAY
Chief Reporter
and TOM NEWTON-DUNN
Defence Editor
April 21, 2007

thesun.co.uk

Wow amazing, incredible i should say, who did the artwork?

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
yeah yeah yeah , big ship, but still have the mighty old sea kings on board. Thay'll have to dock and truck the helicopters to the attack site.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
The ship looks gigantic but the article says it can only hold 50 planes. I thought a large aircraft carrier could carry more then 50 planes. I guess I have no sense of the scale of aircraft carriers. Can the carrier carry more planes bellow deck?

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
So with a name like Queen Elizabeth we're all going to think its a luxury liner so how sneeky is that. A little underhanded mate. The first liner with a golf course and fire works to boot, what a sales pitch.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto

Canada had one too, so many years ago HMCS Bonaventure
She sailed her final mission to the Japanese scrap yards

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006

Wow, i came in my undershorts, just by looking at this pictures, what a great sensations, this picture, with blackleaf one, worth maybe more than 5 bn , can you imagine how many people can be saved with 5bn of money?

now when i look at those pictures, i tell myself, can you imagine how many peoples has been killed with the help of those engine?

Is human race really evolving ?:roll:

Here is what cost nothing and is incredibly beautiful.

Slovenia

California