Wife-Beating Legitimized by German Court

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
The husband routinely beat his 26-year-old German-born wife, mother of their two young children, and threatened to kill her when the court ordered him to move out of their apartment in Hamburg. The police were called repeatedly to intervene. The wife wanted a quick divorce—without waiting a year after separation, as mandated by German law—arguing that that the abuse and death threats she suffered easily fulfilled the “hardship” criteria required for an accelerated decree absolute. The judge—a woman by the name of Christa Datz-Winter—refused, however, arguing that the Kuran allows the husband to beat his wife and that the couple’s Moroccan origin must be taken into account in the case.

Continued at Link 8O

http://www.chroniclesmagazine.org/cgi-bin/....html?seemore=y

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Absolutely ridiculous. It reminds me of the case in Canada where a judge showed some leniency on a child abuser because he "only" sodomized and thus preserved her virginity which the judge said was important in their culture. Are these judges mentally limited?

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
yes.

They don't know the law they are charged to uphold. Your culture does not let you override the local law. Assault is still assault, whether or not you think its ok.

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
Absolutely ridiculous. It reminds me of the case in Canada where a judge showed some leniency on a child abuser because he "only" sodomized and thus preserved her virginity which the judge said was important in their culture. Are these judges mentally limited?
Yes, they simply have no comprehension of the tapestry of real life. Thats a shocking travesty of misjudgement in the child abuse case that you cite tracy... and in the case of the OP, it is just as shocking that the judge, a woman herself, came to such a decision.