Afghanistan fight will only get tougher

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
By ERIC MARGOLIS

The death last Sunday of six Canadian soldiers in southern Afghanistan reminds us of Santayana's famous maxim that those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.
The soldiers were killed near Maiwand, a name meaning nothing to most Westerners. But there, on July 27, 1880, during the bloody Second Anglo-Afghan War, the British Empire suffered one of the worst defeats in its colonial history.
Two years earlier the Raj (Britain's Indian Empire) had invaded Afghanistan for a second time. The British put Afghan puppet rulers into power in Kabul and Kandahar.
Ayub Khan, son of Afghanistan's former emir, rallied 12,000 Pashtun (or Pathan) tribal warriors to fight an advancing British force whose mission was, in London's words, to "liberate" Afghan tribes and bring them "the light of Christian civilization." Today, the slogan is "promoting democracy." The fierce Afghan tribal warriors routed the imperial force, composed of British regulars, including the vaunted Grenadier Guards, and Indian Sepoy troops, after a ferocious battle. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle used a British army doctor who fought at Maiwand as his model for Sherlock Holmes' companion, Dr. Watson.
I recall this epic Afghan victory against British colonialism because understanding today's war in Afghanistan requires proper historical context. A century and a quarter after Maiwand, Pashtun warriors of southern Afghanistan continue to resist another mighty world power and its allies, who have been faithfully following the imperial strategy of the old British Raj.
The invasion of Afghanistan was marketed to Americans as an "anti-terrorist" mission and an effort to implant democracy. It was sold to Canadians as a noble campaign of "nation-building, reconstruction, and defending women's rights." All nice-sounding, but mostly untrue.
What we are really seeing is a war by Western powers seeking to dominate the strategic oil corridor of Afghanistan, directed against the Pashtun people who comprise half that nation's population. Another 15 million live just across the border in Pakistan. What we call the "Taliban" is actually a loose alliance of Pashtun tribes and clans, joined by nationalist forces and former mujahedin from the 1980s anti-Soviet struggle.
ROSY REPORTS CONTRADICTED
Last year, a leading authority on Afghanistan, the Brussels-based Senlis Council, found the Taliban and its allies control or influence half of the nation -- roughly equivalent to Pashtun tribal territory. Its study flatly contradicted rosy reports of military success and "nation-building" from Washington and NATO HQ.
This week, the same think tank issued a shocking new survey based on 17,000 interviews. "Afghanis in southern Afghanistan are increasingly prepared to admit their support for Taliban, and belief that the government and international community will not be able to defeat the Taliban is widespread." Senlis' study concurs with my own findings in South Asia that Pakistan and India have independently concluded NATO will eventually be defeated in Afghanistan and withdraw. The U.S., however, may stay on and reinforce its 30,000 troops there because it cannot admit a second defeat after the Iraq debacle.
The U.S. and NATO are not fighting "terrorists" in Afghanistan and they are certainly not winning hearts and minds. They are fighting the world's largest tribal people. The longer the Westerners stay and bomb villages, the more resistance will grow. Such is the inevitable pattern of every guerrilla war I have ever covered.
Western troops stuck in this nasty, $2-billion daily guerrilla conflict will become increasingly brutalized, demoralized and violent. This is precisely what happened to Afghanistan's second to latest invader, the Soviet Union.
Afghanistan's figurehead Hamid Karzai regime controls only the capitol. The rest of the country is under the Taliban, or warlords who run the surging narcotics trade that has made NATO the main defender of the world's leading narco state.
If 160,000 Soviet troops and 240,000 Afghan Communist soldiers could not defeat the Pashtuns in ten years, how can 50,000 U.S. and NATO troops do better?
Those generals and politicians who claim this war will be won in a few short years ought to study Maiwand.

http://www.torontosun.com/News/Columnists/Margolis_Eric/2007/04/15/4023666-sun.html

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Does anyone at Candian Content actually believe that Stephen Harper has any grasp of foreign affairs never mind the history of the Afghani conflict...?
Canada shouldn't be involved in Afghanistan for a great many reasons.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Mikey, I have no use for the blighted country. I'd like the troops home. But the question remains: what do we do with such countries when they seem to house and then promote terrorism abroad? Do we just bomb the hell out of them? What do we do? I'm not a big believer in boycotts or sanctions. There has to be a way to deal with rogue states.

marv

Apr 16, 2007
Does anyone at Candian Content actually believe that Stephen Harper has any grasp of foreign affairs never mind the history of the Afghani conflict...?
Canada shouldn't be involved in Afghanistan for a great many reasons.

Well, Paul Martin and the Liberals got Canada involved in Afghanistan? Now Harper is supposed to cut and run?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I'm all for retribution & revenge, not nation building. A week or 2 of carpet bombing should send most "rogue states" a proper message.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Well, Paul Martin and the Liberals got Canada involved in Afghanistan? Now Harper is supposed to cut and run?
I didn't see Paul Martin holding a gun anybody's head when Harper announced his intention to unilaterally extend the mission to February 08 regardless of mandate from the Commons.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Durka, that might be the appropriate response. I don't know. This Afghan mission seems like a fool's errand and I can't think what will happen there once the US finally exits Iraq.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
I'm all for retribution & revenge, not nation building. A week or 2 of carpet bombing should send most "rogue states" a proper message.
screw that. Al Qaeda's strongholds were an open secret. Just keep shining the crosshairs where we know they are and keep them scrambling for cover this time around. It going to happen anyways.

and tell anybody who complains to the Security Council about it to bite it.

marv

Apr 16, 2007
I didn't see Paul Martin holding a gun anybody's head when Harper announced his intention to unilaterally extend the mission to February 08 regardless of mandate from the Commons.

No but I always get a laugh out of the Liberals who are constantly standing on their soap boxes blaming Harper for our troops being in Afghanistan (talking about the "Evil" Americans is also a favourite pastime for them). At least the Harper government is going out of their way trying to keep the troops as safe as possible by purchasing armored vehicles and new tanks.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
No but I always get a laugh out of the Liberals who are constantly standing on their soap boxes blaming Harper for our troops being in Afghanistan (talking about the "Evil" Americans is also a favourite pastime for them). At least the Harper government is going out of their way trying to keep the troops as safe as possible by purchasing armored vehicles and new tanks.
The Liberal commitment to Afghanistan was until February of this year.

its over

if you're so proud of Harper's actions then wear it and stop trying to pass it off.

and Hillier said the troops had everthing they need. take it up with him.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
...I like how someone with 2 posts feels comfortable enough here to tell us who and what we are and also what we believe, very interesting ;)
Being basically very shallow and easily bifrucated, I'm surprised he was so much off the mark.

folcar

Electoral Member
Mar 26, 2007
Two American strategists were on CBC's Sunday morning news cast, both had rather stark views of the mission. The First stated that with the 36000 assorted Nato personnel on the ground any chance of winning was slim to none. This considering 140 000 Russian troops were unable to win previosly in Afghanistan, and the Nato force is far smaller. Speculation was that 4 provinces within the country were still firmly in the grips of the Taliban, and that Al-Queda had re-grouped succesfully and was once again beginning to operate more aggressively world wide and in Afghanistan. The 2nd Strategist surmised the situation was grim, but with alot more troops it could be salvaged and turned around. Recent media coverage also showed the lack of supplies for the Afghan military and Police and cited the heavy casualties that both outfits were taking, leaving a question mark on whether the efforts to get them established were suffering. It seems a relatively small part of the Country is under the control of Nato forces, who are having a tough time as is maintaining order in those regions. Unless greater commitment on Nato's part is emphasized, Afghanistan is going to be long drawn out affair with victory only a possibility and not a reality.