DU Doctor barred from US

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

Canada offers forum for lecturer barred from U.S.

By Jonathan Woodward

From Wednesday's Globe and Mail

04/13/07 "
Globe and Mail" 04/11/07 -- -- VANCOUVER — A highly regarded Iraqi epidemiologist who wants to tell Americans about an alarming rise in cancer levels among Iraqi children will come to Canada instead because he couldn't get a visa to the United States.

Unable to travel to the University of Washington, Riyadh Lafta -- best known for a controversial study that estimated Iraq's body count in the U.S.-led war in Iraq at more than half a million -- will arrive at Simon Fraser University in B.C. this month to give a lecture and meet with research associates.

"The University of Washington wanted him, but the U.S. denied his entry," said his colleague at SFU, Tim Takaro. "They need to be able to collaborate, even if his results are unpopular with the Americans. Now he's at SFU, and the best they're going to get is a video feed."

Once in Canada, Dr. Lafta will present estimates that paint a damning portrait of the war's ravages on children: that birth defects are on the rise since the war began, and that the number of children dying from cancers such as leukemia has risen tenfold.

Dr. Lafta had tried for six months to get a visa into Seattle to speak in Washington, and was ignored a half-dozen times, Dr. Takaro said.

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services couldn't be reached for comment. But a spokesman for Seattle Democratic Congressman Jim McDermott said he couldn't understand the decision. "Jim's certainly more than a little unhappy about it. We don't know whether this was a snafu or more than that," Mike DeCesare said. "Certainly with the doctor not able to be on the campus, and engage directly with people, you've got to believe that's a net loss for everybody."

Dr. Lafta was born in Baghdad in 1960, was trained as a physician at Baghdad University College and then worked for 14 years for the Ministry of Health under Saddam Hussein. He became the head of the communicable disease department and then the primary-care department of Diyala province in northern Iraq.

Dr. Lafta, who is still in Iraq, couldn't be reached by e-mail yesterday. But Dr. Takaro shared a message from his personal communication. "The main point is that people outside Iraq do not realize the real disaster we are suffering," Dr. Lafta writes. "Only the Iraqi people know that, simply because the foreigners are listening to the news while we are living the events on the ground."

Special to The Globe and Mail

[FONT=Georgia,'Times New Roman',Times,serif][/FONT]

H

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
This guy deserves to be heard, and the American public should hear him. This is one of these things that will come back and bite the Bush administration in the ass. For the moment, he will be ignored as some kind of "Commie".

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Ever think he's banned for a more logical reason? like he failed a security check? Or he has a criminal record.

DU, sorry to say, isn't some Demonic material. Its 60% less radioactive than Natural Uranium (which you can handle with your hands).
That means DU is 15 times less radioactive than Enriched uranium.
Its deadly cause of Birth Defects? Its properties as a heavy metal, making "almost as dangerous as lead".

The International Atomic Energy Agency reported in 2003 that, "based on credible scientific evidence, there is no proven link between DU exposure and increases in human cancers or other significant health or environmental impacts," although "Like other heavy metals, DU is potentially poisonous. In sufficient amounts, if DU is ingested or inhaled it can be harmful because of its chemical toxicity. High concentration could cause kidney damage

Birth Defects spike in countries exposed to DU weaponry..but also spike, sometimes more, in countries exposed to non-DU weaponry.

Perhaps its that they are exposed to weaponry at all?

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
I'd be more interested in a lecture in how Iraqi hospitals maintain staffing and service amidst all that insanity. I know Toronto hospitals would have collapsed long before now under that workload.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
That article was such a whine about the evil USA I couldn't believe my eyes. Talk about a generating publicity stunt....

The poor American public should be able to hear him speak....

They can via electronic means read him on the internet and worst case they can gather at the Peace Arch like Paul Robeson had to do and listen to him speak into a microphone..... it would make a grand protest ..... a gesture that the USA will not stop his voice from behind heard hoot hoot hoot...

The guy must have some real nasty stuff attached to his security clearance because the U.S. are swamped with undesirables all the time...who make it though....

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Ever think he's banned for a more logical reason? like he failed a security check? Or he has a criminal record.

DU, sorry to say, isn't some Demonic material. Its 60% less radioactive than Natural Uranium (which you can handle with your hands).
That means DU is 15 times less radioactive than Enriched uranium.
Its deadly cause of Birth Defects? Its properties as a heavy metal, making "almost as dangerous as lead".

The International Atomic Energy Agency reported in 2003 that, "based on credible scientific evidence, there is no proven link between DU exposure and increases in human cancers or other significant health or environmental impacts," although "Like other heavy metals, DU is potentially poisonous. In sufficient amounts, if DU is ingested or inhaled it can be harmful because of its chemical toxicity. High concentration could cause kidney damage

Birth Defects spike in countries exposed to DU weaponry..but also spike, sometimes more, in countries exposed to non-DU weaponry.

Perhaps its that they are exposed to weaponry at all?
DU is a by-product—activists would say a waste product—of the process of separating the highly fissionable U-235 isotope out of uranium to produce fuel for nuclear reactors. It is called "depleted" because most of the lighter uranium isotopes, U-234 and U-235, are removed from natural uranium, leaving behind uranium consisting of 99.8 percent of U-238. The result is just 40 percent less radioactive than natural uranium and it has a half life of over 4 billion years.

You may, if you are foolish, handle DU with your bare hands. The real danger is breathing in the depleted uranium dust that has been spread over Iraq by the hundreds of tons. What is rarely published, is that Americans are also dying in large number from this filthy poison.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Here we go again with the old DU argument - created by the evil empire...

Back to the original topic - it takes months to get a Visa to the U.S. and if this doctor lives and works in Iraq I hardly think they are going to rush it through without much checking.

He has been contributing to research panels run by American doctors - and if his work is so new and vital - why aren't the American doctors touring with him??? Hmmmmmmmm not a difficult answer.

People all over the Google links know of the guy and his 'research' so making a bloody big deal of his visit to Vancouver or Seattle just isn't cutting it....

Hysterical hyperbole.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
That article was such a whine about the evil USA I couldn't believe my eyes. Talk about a generating publicity stunt....

The poor American public should be able to hear him speak....

They can via electronic means read him on the internet and worst case they can gather at the Peace Arch like Paul Robeson had to do and listen to him speak into a microphone..... it would make a grand protest ..... a gesture that the USA will not stop his voice from behind heard hoot hoot hoot...

The guy must have some real nasty stuff attached to his security clearance because the U.S. are swamped with undesirables all the time...who make it though....
Yeah, the nasty stuff is probly the guy's name. It doesn't sound Mexican. lol

Um, fersher it'll be plastered all over the net in no time.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Here we go again with the old DU argument - created by the evil empire...

Back to the original topic - it takes months to get a Visa to the U.S. and if this doctor lives and works in Iraq I hardly think they are going to rush it through without much checking.

He has been contributing to research panels run by American doctors - and if his work is so new and vital - why aren't the American doctors touring with him??? Hmmmmmmmm not a difficult answer.

People all over the Google links know of the guy and his 'research' so making a bloody big deal of his visit to Vancouver or Seattle just isn't cutting it....

Hysterical hyperbole.

BARF

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
To play devil's advocate if I may, web material is one thing, a presentation followed by discussion amongst colleagues in the field is another. The University of Washington certainly had enough interest in him.

Questions I have, why don't the UofW faculty and students who were to be involved take a trip to BC? How far away is that, I mean he's coming from half-way around the world right?

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
Well I sure hope he gets the presentation and the discussion going on --here-- there where ever --
Why are the rates of Cancer so high in Iraqi Kids anyhow ???anyway

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Well I sure hope he gets the presentation and the discussion going on --here-- there where ever --
Why are the rates of Cancer so high in Iraqi Kids anyhow ???anyway

One of the reasons

The thought is, that the 2-300 tons of depleted uranium ammunition that has been used in Iraq has spread it's dust over the country and people are breathing it in. Depleted uranium is both radioactive and toxic. It is known to be carcinogenic.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Did anyone read the actual study where his contribution has been published?

I haven't, but here it is": http://www.zmag.org/lancet.pdf

It took a while but I got through it. This is not some wild-eyed, nationalistic, alarmist. The information is well laid out and if anything, it will be conservative in it's findings. Some of the information is from Lancet, a well known British medical journal.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
It took a while but I got through it. This is not some wild-eyed, nationalistic, alarmist. The information is well laid out and if anything, it will be conservative in it's findings. Some of the information is from Lancet, a well known British medical journal.

Isn't is the same article that was published in Lancet?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Isn't is the same article that was published in Lancet?

Some of it certainly is, but I don't think all of it. I think there is a lot more information than the info we had from Lancet last year.

Edit....All of this was published by Lancet, but there is more info than we had a year or so ago. In any case, Dr. Lafta was one of the main writers.

Last edited:

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Some of it certainly is, but I don't think all of it. I think there is a lot more information than the info we had from Lancet last year.

Edit....All of this was published by Lancet, but there is more info than we had a year or so ago. In any case, Dr. Lafta was one of the main writers.

If you google his name, there is several articles he published that pop up, pdf.