Released Iranian abducted in Iraq claims CIA tortured him.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Iranian news sources claim their diplomat which was abducted in Iraq and recently released was tortured:

Behind release of Iranian diplomat
Sat, 07 Apr 2007

An informed source unveiled details of the release of the second Secretary of Iran's embassy in Iraq on Saturday.

The source, speaking on condition of anonymity, stated that Jalal Sharafi was handed to the Iranian diplomats in Baghdad on April 2, while he was handcuffed.

He added that the diplomat was immediately held under tight security measures.

The source reiterated that the Iranian diplomats had informed the Iraqi officials of Sharafi's release and called for troop dispatch around Iranian embassy in Baghdad for protection of the site.

The source noted that Sharafi had been tortured by his captors, among them U.S. intelligence officials, saying there were also signs of torture on his hands and feet.

He pointed out that Sharafi was subjected to different forms of torture day and night.

The official said the kidnappers took Sharafi to a base near Baghdad airport and he was questioned by Arabic-speaking and English-speaking interrogators.

He quoted Sharafi as saying, "The CIA questions focused mainly on Iran's presence and influence in Iraq. When faced with my responses on Iran's official ties with the Iraqi government, they increased the torture."

Jalal Sharafi, who was abducted in February 2007, entered Tehran on April 3.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=5270&sectionid=351020101

Who are you going to believe, the government which claimed it had proof Iraq had WMDs and links to alQaeda or the government which claims its nuclear research is peaceful.

In other news:

Iraqi Cleric M. Sadr is calling for an anti-US demonstration tomorrow.

Now the Shiite is going to hit the fan in Iraq...

Sadr calls for anti-U.S. protest in Iraq

NAJAF, Iraq: Thousands of Iraqis streamed to Najaf on Sunday in response to a call by a Shiite cleric, Moktada al-Sadr, for a big anti-American protest Monday.

Sadr, who blames the U.S.-led invasion for unrelenting violence in Iraq, has urged Iraqis to protest on a day that marks the fourth anniversary of when American forces swept into central Baghdad.

"In order to end the occupation, you will go out and demonstrate," Sadr, who accuses U.S. forces of fomenting civil strife in Iraq, said in a statement...

...Thousands of supporters of Sadr boarded buses and rode in cars to Najaf on Sunday, responding to Sadr's call. Roads were packed with hundreds of vehicles crammed with passengers waving Iraqi flags and chanting religious and anti-U.S. slogans.

The U.S. military says that Sadr is in Iran. His aides insist the cleric is in Iraq, and they have denied suggestions that he had fled to Iran to escape the security crackdown.

The U.S. military said violence had dropped in Baghdad, with a 26 percent decline in "murders and executions" from February to March, and a 60 percent fall between the last week of March and the first week of April.

An Iranian diplomat freed two months after being abducted in Iraq has accused the CIA of torturing him during his detention, Iranian state television reported, according to an Associated Press dispatch from Tehran. The United States immediately denied any involvement in the Iranian's disappearance or release.

Jalal Sharafi, who was freed last Tuesday, said the CIA had questioned him about Iran's relations with Iraq and assistance to various Iraqi groups, according to state television.

"Once they heard my response that Iran merely has official relations with the Iraqi government and officials, they intensified tortures and tortured me through different methods days and nights," he said Saturday.

Gordon Johndroe, a White House spokesman, said in Washington: "The United States had nothing to do with Mr. Sharafi's detention...

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/04/08/news/iraq.php

Meanwhile:

[SIZE=+2]Storm in UK as freed sailors sell stories[/SIZE]
By Adrian Croft

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's Defence Ministry came under fire on Sunday for allowing 15 sailors and marines held by Iran for 13 days to sell their stories to the media.
The ministry said it had waived rules barring serving military personnel from selling their stories because of huge public interest in the case. "These are considered to be exceptional circumstances," a ministry spokeswoman said.
British naval personnel who were detained in Iran are seen in Tehran in this April 4, 2007 file photo. Britain's Defence Ministry came under fire on Sunday for allowing 15 British sailors and marines held by Iran for 13 days to sell their stories to the media. (REUTERS/Morteza Nikoubazl)
Some popular British newspapers pay people for their sensational stories to boost sales. The spokeswoman said the 15 would be able to keep fees which press reports estimated could total as much as 250,000 pounds ($493,500).
One former detainee, Royal Navy Lieutenant Felix Carman, gave the BBC an interview free-of-charge but agreed that the service members did have a chance to make a lot of money. "I think every one of us has had offers ... I think some people will probably take it up. However I'm just happy to get the actual truth out in the open because we did receive some criticisms...," he said....

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.as...01_NOOTR_RTRJONC_0_-293501-2&sec=worldupdates

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Torture seeems to be a popular activity with some folks on whichever end or side of the fence these days. I don't like it and refuse to choose sides and don't care as to who started it, who does it the most, etc. People who torture others are just plain bad people whatever their religion, politics, color, musical tastes, etc. are.

Reactions: hermanntrude

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
The Bush regime has a proven record of abuses and torture. While the facts have yet to be fully apprised, it is a good bet that these allegations will be proven to be true, given Bush's record.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Selling their stories...the cowardly little pimps. And they were singing after two days in captivity. My the Brits must be proud.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
torture is needed in the USA, for high-risk people.

This is not for the "general population" of people who commit crimes, go to jail, etc.

We are in war against terrorism, and its a new world since 9/11

Never again can we allow us to be attacked on home soil. And people who are terrorists, involved with terrorists, or know VERY important information about terrorists, are open to any type of interregation.

I am not willing to risk another 9/11 for liberals like you.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
not when we in a war against terrorism. What do we define as torture.

Can we deprive things?

Lets say we cannot inflict pain, but would you call depriving food, water, sleep, hygiene, as "torture"

If we can deprive anything, then I am ok with no torture.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
No torture -- it's the law. Moreover, our Constitution expressly forbids cruel and unusual punishment. I don't know about your Canadian laws but that's the way it is here.

Reactions: mabudon

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Well, how the hell do you expect the USA to get crucial information, if your saying we set them up with televisions, computers, a lounge, a nice comfy bed, pristine washroom.

And who decides whats "cruel and unusual punishment"

In today's world, depriving media (TV, reading material) could be considered cruel and unusual.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
West,

You're Canadian -- why don't you just let us Yanks worry about our own laws and how we choose to enforce them?

We have a Constitution and we claim to adhere to the rule of law. We don't tell you in Manitoba how to apply your laws so it's best to let us decide how to apply ours.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Who are you going to believe, the government which claimed it had proof Iraq had WMDs and links to alQaeda or the government which claims its nuclear research is peaceful.

Do you normally believe the word of a government that tortured & killed a Canadian reporter, then tried to cover it up?

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I don't trust any government or news source. But I will listen to what they have to say, even the Americans which have been caught in so many lies and deceptions now, I've lost count.

No I don't trust the Iranians. I am well aware they used the captured Brits for propaganda purposes, but it appears that after the initial strip search and psychological mind games, they were treated well and released unharmed. I am also aware that Iranian police abducted a Canadian reporter, probably beat her to death and then covered it up.

But I am also open to the possibility that the Americans or their Iraqi counterparts tortured this Iranian diplomat. But I expect them to be able to prove it. No I'm not going to take their word.

If we resort to torture then we have cannot expect or demand Canadians are treated better.

Also I don't see all our adversaries as a uniform group. Many different organizations exist with different agendas and use different tactics. Those groups or individuals which violate international rules of conduct such as beheadings and torture are criminals and should be brought before the International Court of Justice.

If we become resort to criminal actvity like some of our adversaries, then we are no better than they are.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
West,

You're Canadian -- why don't you just let us Yanks worry about our own laws and how we choose to enforce them?

We have a Constitution and we claim to adhere to the rule of law. We don't tell you in Manitoba how to apply your laws so it's best to let us decide how to apply ours.

Are you going to change flags anytime soon? SPY, you are currently flying our flag.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Dunno who put the Canadian flag there as I'm a Yank.

A direct quote from the 'What to say when caught in enemy waters' pg.56LOL

West,

You are right, we should let you handle it. That only applies to what you do inside your own borders. What you do outside your borders is not going to treated in the same fashion.

America can only be one of two things.
Foreign policy is going just as planned and any 'visable opposition' to what is 'naked agression' against another soverign country is only for show.
Foreign policy is out of control and those Americans that are 'the visable opposition' are correct.

From the POV of an outside observer the carrot being dangled before every American is the promise of lots of cheap oil for decades. A lot of opposition (to military agression for whatever reason given) fades right at that point.
A trillion poured into war is the same trillion that you could have insisted be poured into makeing the need to import energy less needful.
A trillion is just the start of the expense of just 'security' in the mid-east, in 35 years it could be 35 trillion.

Over there that money does not promise lots of cheap oil at the pump. It means a lot of profit for a few people. A trillion spent at home gets spread out throughout the population because that money is spend in building something (without any pay-offs).

Not everything your Gov currently does in matters of foreign policy could be brought up before all members of the UN in a 'what did you do this week ?' speech.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
MHz- I think you're attackin the wrong person here, if anything gopher is one of the "good ones" (MAN I hate that phrase but it's the fastest way to say what I mean)

I have yet to see Gopher wrap him (or her I guess, but I imagine him ;)) self up in the stars and bars and tell everyone to line up "with US or against US". Just pointing it out- if you wanna call folks on being fascists. there's FAR better targets hereabouts :D

Torture is WRONG, period

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
Torture is wrong. We criticize the human torture in many countries as being wrong so what makes it right for a western country to use the same. The danger with these methods is that it does not end there and as time goes by there is danger that more and more reasons will come up to use torture.

Another point is torture causes hatred and hatred causes increase in terrorism. If someone is tortured you can expect that they will not love the people or country that did it and will do everything to exact revenge. It is a vicious circle that keeps getting bigger.

I do not excuse what Iran did to the reporter but in torturing the Iran diplomat, which I also believe happened, mirrors Iran's treatment of our reporter that lead to her death.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
MHz- I think you're attackin the wrong person here, if anything gopher is one of the "good ones" (MAN I hate that phrase but it's the fastest way to say what I mean)

I have yet to see Gopher wrap him (or her I guess, but I imagine him ;)) self up in the stars and bars and tell everyone to line up "with US or against US". Just pointing it out- if you wanna call folks on being fascists. there's FAR better targets hereabouts :D

Torture is WRONG, period
I have read some of gopher's post and I'm quite comfortable with his viewpoint on those issues.
My post was only to justify that I have a right to comment on US foreign policy, if it crosses into events happening on home turf, or what is not happening, then so be it. Its not like my opinion is going to change anything.