Andrew flies to see his troops in Basra.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Andrew flies to see his troops in Basra

5th March 2007

Colonel in Chief: Falklands War veteran Prince Andrew (on the right) visits troops in Basra. He is the Colonel-in-Chief of the 1st Batallion The Yorkshire Regiment. The regiment formed only last year.

The Duke of York donned full military gear as he was given first-hand accounts of the dangers facing troops in Iraq.

Prince Andrew wore desert camouflage, body armour and beret when he met members of the 1st Battalion The Yorkshire Regiment, of which he is Colonel in Chief, during a short visit to Basra.

The trip came only hours before insurgents launched an attack on a multi-national base in the southern city.

The new Yorkshire Regiment became active in June 2006.

The duke inspected a military base and field hospital as well as nearby Shaibah logistics base.

He finished with a trip to the Iraq joint helicopter force, where Royal Navy Sea King helicopters are based.

Prince Andrew, who served with the Navy for more than 20 years, flew Sea Kings during the 1982 Falklands conflict against Argentina.

Lieutenant Colonel Andrew Jackson, commanding officer of the 1 Yorks Battlegroup, said:

"This is the first visit the Duke of York has made to a battalion of the Yorkshire Regiment, and therefore the first opportunity he has had to meet the soldiers since we formed last year.

"It's very important for him to see us doing our work on operations. For many of the soldiers it's the first time they have met a member of the royal family and I believe it's vital that they meet their Colonel in Chief."

The visit came as it was revealed that Prince Harry (Prince Andrew's nephew) will undergo hostage training this week, before he goes to Iraq.

He and his men will take part in training and role-playing exercises where "armed enemy kidnappers" take hostages. Other drills will involve troops using tear gas and stun grenades.

dailymail.co.uk

Last edited:

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
I think Andrew is scouting around to see where it is not safe to send Harry, and then he will let the Queen know to send him there.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
What a wonderful oportunity to bolster public support for the wars, the galvanizing affect of a slain Royal would be enormous, Blair could retire a hero, the UK Impirialists would weep with joy, it's a win win situation. How long would it take to produce a blockbuster movie?:wave:

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
Jealousy? Which beaver are you talking about?lol

Oh my goodness, El barto!!!!!

Get your mind out of the gutter!!!!

I am so shocked and embarrassed at your suggestive and insinuating and propositional self debasing cunningly presented thinly veiled gaping chasms of senuosity which deliberately and seductively have intimated an unending pleasurable voluminous grandiosity of plagerismic succulence.

Shame on you.
Shame on you.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Oh my goodness, El barto!!!!!

Get your mind out of the gutter!!!!

I am so shocked and embarrassed at your suggestive and insinuating and propositional self debasing cunningly presented thinly veiled gaping chasms of senuosity which deliberately and seductively have intimated an unending pleasurable voluminous grandiosity of plagerismic succulence.

Shame on you.
Shame on you.
your a very passonate cunning linguist

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
no but is close tho
at times its Andy to
but you can call me Ray or you can call me jay or you can call me.........